Schoolyard (Tag) Game Modes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schoolyard (Tag) Game Modes

I know this doesn't necessarily fit into the Unreal Tournament... universe... but it's something I built as a plugin for Team Fortress 2 years ago but was never able to complete because I couldn't get scoring to work on the scoreboard. I just think it might be fun to either make, or see happen in some game.

To those of you who either never had a childhood, or never played it, Tag was a simple game, it's typically played by children where a player is selected to be "It" either by random chance or by the whole of the group. The "It" player, then has to touch another "Non-It" player for the "Non-It" player to then become "It" (often a rule of "No-Tag-Backs" was in place meaning the former "It" player could not be tagged back to "It" immediately by the new "It" player, there should be at least one "It" player in between). While no end game was ever in place when I played, the primary goal was to avoid being "It" for as long as possible.

Okay, so now that we have that out of the way.

In my TF2 plugin I forced everyone to one team (Blue), forced them all to the Scout (fastest) player class, and removed all weapons except the Scout Bat (Melee). I would also make all players invulnerable, and strip the map of all weapon pickups, resupply lockers, and capture points or Briefcases (Flags). It was played best on CTF maps due to the spawn location items. Then I would randomly select a player to be "It" which then forced a respawn on them in the opposing team's spawn-room/area. All the "It" player had to do was hit one of the "Non-It" players and they would switch (both respawning back in respective spawn zones).

Here's the scoring model of classic:
    Non-It players get an upward counting timer, 1 second = 1 point.
    It-Players Get a bonus for Tagging (hitting) the Non-It players (Not sure the amount of points)
    Non-It Players Get a bonus for "Being Brave" (and hitting the "It" player), this bonus should be so much so that just running away and hiding somewhere is actually not worthwhile and will probably cause you to lose the whole match.

Okay; so how does this fit into Unreal Tournament 4? Well, ultimately the biggest drawback of the TF2 model was that I had to rely on Valve being supportive to the plugin development community (which they historically are not, though they're great to Mod developers). As an Unreal Tournament 4 game mode this could be adapted to have proper scoring and all that, it could also, of course, be modified so it's based on firing, say, the pistol. Plus I have other variations.

So, here's my variations:
    Classic Tag:
    As described above, all players set to one team.
    One person randomly selected as "It" that then gets swapped to the opposing team.
    The "It" player tries to "Tag" "non-it" players to transfer the "it" status.
    No tag backs.
    Ends on Timer.

Freeze Tag:
    Same start as Classic
    The "It" player then "tags" "non-it" players in order to Freeze them in place (can't move).
    "Non-It" players have the ability to unfreeze partners if they tag frozen non-it players.
    Ends on Timer or when all players Frozen
    Restart selects new "It" that was not "It" before.

Cops & Robbers (Often also called a Jailbreak Mode):
    Same start as the two before
    A "Jail" is defined, if the "It" player tags a "Non-It" player they get teleported to Jail.
    If a "Non-It" player can get into the jail or can tag the players in the jail, they can then be released from the jail.
    Ends on Timer or when all "Robbers" are "Jailed"
    Restart selects new "It" player from players not previously "It".

I've also thought on a "Floor is lava" mode, but unless there's a lot more emphasis on wall runs and whatnot, there's really no way to do that effectively.

Scoring relies on emphasis of when not "It" not being caught, but when It, it has an emphasis (at least in the latter two) on capability to perform the task.

This is just me kind of throwing this out there, I'm not sure if I'll actually do this, but at least I have an outline for someone to follow if they decide to do so themselves.
    Tuned Chaos Studios
    Free Daily Bitcoins... because why not?

This sounds a lot like a Tag game mode I built for UT2003 and later ported to UT2004 but I stopped working on it because I couldn't figure out how to do scoring that made sense.

In my version, the person who was "it" had the Shield Cannon and moved faster and jumped higher than everyone else. Everyone else had shock rifles that imparted a lot of momentum. The game starts with everyone with shock rifles. The first person to die becomes it. Afterwards, only the it person can get kills, everyone else can just bounce people.

I had the idea to make it so there were rewards from saving people who were not it from the it person by bouncing them away and other things but lack of a good scoring system ruined me in the end. I would be interested in playing with this design again.
    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
      This sounds a lot like a Tag game mode I built for UT2003 and later ported to UT2004 but I stopped working on it because I couldn't figure out how to do scoring that made sense.

In my version, the person who was "it" had the Shield Cannon and moved faster and jumped higher than everyone else. Everyone else had shock rifles that imparted a lot of momentum. The game starts with everyone with shock rifles. The first person to die becomes it. Afterwards, only the it person can get kills, everyone else can just bounce people.

I had the idea to make it so there were rewards from saving people who were not it from the it person by bouncing them away and other things but lack of a good scoring system ruined me in the end. I would be interested in playing with this design again.
      I'm all for a collaboration if you'd like. But it would, as is indicated by the post, most definitely have to be a Gamemode, not just a mutator.
      Tuned Chaos Studios

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingMongoose View Post
        I'm all for a collaboration if you'd like. But it would, as is indicated by the post, most definitely have to be a Gamemode, not just a mutator.
        This was a full blown gametype. I will try to find a copy of it for you to see how it worked.

For scoring I was toying around with starting with a certain number of points, and if you were tagged by whoever was it they would get some portion of your points.
        HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
        BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Well for some reason I was never good in UnrealScript but I'm more comfortable in C++.

Anyway, I would feel best starting from scratch if a collaboration were to arise.
          Last edited by FlyingMongoose; 12-19-2014, 02:56 AM.
          Tuned Chaos Studios

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingMongoose View Post
            Freeze Tag:
            Same start as Classic
            The "It" player then "tags" "non-it" players in order to Freeze them in place (can't move).
            "Non-It" players have the ability to unfreeze partners if they tag frozen non-it players.
            Ends on Timer or when all players Frozen
            Restart selects new "It" that was not "It" before.

Freeze! I remember playing a mod for UT99 of Team Freeze, it was amazing fun. Especially on 4 team deathmatch! I'd love to see this gametype added. The version I played wasn't quite like how you described though. There was no single 'it' person. You had to kill and enemy in order to freeze them (anyone could do this), once defeated, rather than actually die the target would become frozen and remain frozen until a teammate stood beside them long enough to unfreeze them. If I recall there were no health pickups.. once your health hit zero you were frozen. This added to the survival sense as well imo. The would end once an entire team ended up frozen (ie they all fragged to chunks). In the case of 4 team deathmatch, once all three of the opposing teams were frozen.

It was awesome! Love to play that again

Comment

Originally posted by mastrok View Post
              Freeze! I remember playing a mod for UT99 of Team Freeze, it was amazing fun. Especially on 4 team deathmatch! I'd love to see this gametype added. The version I played wasn't quite like how you described though. There was no single 'it' person. You had to kill and enemy in order to freeze them (anyone could do this), once defeated, rather than actually die the target would become frozen and remain frozen until a teammate stood beside them long enough to unfreeze them. If I recall there were no health pickups.. once your health hit zero you were frozen. This added to the survival sense as well imo. The would end once an entire team ended up frozen (ie they all fragged to chunks). In the case of 4 team deathmatch, once all three of the opposing teams were frozen.

It was awesome! Love to play that again
              I really like this concept, I can add it into my plans...
              Tuned Chaos Studios

Comment

Working...
              X