Hunger Games mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunger Games mod?

Anyone else like the idea of this? Essentially one round of LMS but where you don't spawn with weapons (not even AR).

General idea:
    - All players spawn near to each other (e.g. open area but at least 5 seconds strafe jumping).
    - 1 large map (think ONS scale without vehicles) with weapons/health stattered around (but unlike in HG it should have some buildings to hide in so it's not all hitscan)
    - No respawns
    - Last man standing = winner

I guess it wouldn't be difficult to implement (basically a mix of FFA/LMS), most time consuming part would be making a good, large & balanced map

Edit: Just found this thread https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...t=hunger+games

But I don't like the idea of weapons in the middle (even if that's what happens in the movie) due to the fact the game would end in 30 seconds...prefer the idea of them having to run off through the forest/search building for guns

Edit 2: Is modding still restricted to those paying a UE licence fee?
    Last edited by Dird; 01-09-2015, 08:48 AM.

You can't mod with tools you don't have - and no pay, no have.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Actually the idea is not that bad, though you should really make the concept more basic. Yet more precise, let me explain to you what I am thinking off.

Before I say my idea, I let you know I only know hunger games from minecraft and I haven't seen the movie. However here my idea on this:

Players start in a circle, on a large map. They will only be given a translocator at the start. The game will also be last man standing, meaning no revives and a new round starts when everyone is dead. The map will have random weapon spawns, with very limited ammo. The ammo/weapons respawns, but very slowely, lets say 10 min. Also there is a round length, and across the map there should be some sort of lightning pillars (teslacoil like things). And there should be like rings in the map. Lets say there are 5 rings. At the beginning you can be across all the rings, but for every 20% of the players dead one of the area's will close off. And if you are still in it, you will get shocked. the teslacoils will then light up, and there should also be a line across the floor where lightning moves over. If a player touches it they will get dmg, and if they go across they will keep getting dmg till they die. This way the map will get smaller and smaller the less players there are left.

So to sum up:
      - FFA Last man standing (Including no respawn)
      - Random weapon spawns (low ammo)
      - Random ammo spawns (more ammo, however you might get the wrong ammo)
      - Random Health and Armor spawns
      - Spawns have a really slow cooldown, like 10 min. (Incase someone wonders around the map for a while where a lot of players have been earlier in the game)
      - Start with a Translocator (or a weapon with no ammo)
      - Map is will get smaller depending how many players are dead.
      - Going outside the reach of the map will shock the player to death.(so when the map shrinks tesla coils get activated and the players outside the area get shocked)
      - If the match outreaches the time limit of a single game, the last players will be teleported in a small arena style area of the map. (this could also be in the middle of the map, and the last tesla coils activate)
      - There could be better spawns, however you for example need the boots or other items to get there.

Comment

Put simply for my thoughts: No.

I'm thinking everything of real value to discuss on these forums is for the core experience, and the core experience has to have a healthy balance of depth for every mode and feature (no more VCTF and only two maps for it ever). Secondly it seems the premise of UT4's core experience is competitive gameplay (though not necessarily e-sports pro scene 720 no scope MLG players only) and the minute you start mentioning "random" that's thrown this mode out the window.

On top of that most of what has been mentioned here requires a specific map which means it will be down to you and whoever you can drum up to keep the mode alive through fresh maps every month.

And lastly as mentioned a few times by the OP and supporters it really is just LMS mode which is already part of the core UT package except you want no weapons (which is also standard in any mode if you consider the enforcer tactically/strategically useless for 100 Health kills). So even putting in the effort to make this mode code wise is questionable, and the base dedicated server service allows banning weapons so you can just ban Enforcer/Hammer without mutators iirc. Of course that's a bad idea in the first place just because now you have people going against people with shock rifles and literally no way to get them to drop it or fight back if they're simply unlucky.

So really all you got to go on is a pop culture reference? That's a fairly weak argument I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceOracle View Post
          Put simply for my thoughts: No.

I'm thinking everything of real value to discuss on these forums is for the core experience, and the core experience has to have a healthy balance of depth for every mode and feature (no more VCTF and only two maps for it ever). Secondly it seems the premise of UT4's core experience is competitive gameplay (though not necessarily e-sports pro scene 720 no scope MLG players only) and the minute you start mentioning "random" that's thrown this mode out the window.

On top of that most of what has been mentioned here requires a specific map which means it will be down to you and whoever you can drum up to keep the mode alive through fresh maps every month.

And lastly as mentioned a few times by the OP and supporters it really is just LMS mode which is already part of the core UT package except you want no weapons (which is also standard in any mode if you consider the enforcer tactically/strategically useless for 100 Health kills). So even putting in the effort to make this mode code wise is questionable, and the base dedicated server service allows banning weapons so you can just ban Enforcer/Hammer without mutators iirc. Of course that's a bad idea in the first place just because now you have people going against people with shock rifles and literally no way to get them to drop it or fight back if they're simply unlucky.

So really all you got to go on is a pop culture reference? That's a fairly weak argument I'm afraid.
          Well it is a mod suggestion, not official game. I don't want this in the official game, but if someone makes it into a mod, with a dedicated server and levels, then im all for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Impuredeath View Post
            Well it is a mod suggestion, not official game. I don't want this in the official game, but if someone makes it into a mod, with a dedicated server and levels, then im all for it.
            Well it is in the official game's development forum so we would have to have assumed that.
            Trying to make it your own mod would actually be more difficult on top of that though considering you'll have to compete with UT itself, so even less people might get involved.
            In general I would really recommend playing a lot more games instead of just watching movies that are poor adaptations of books because it misses all the messages to cash in on generic definitions of action movies, those don't tend to make good games.

Comment

Working...
            X