Shooting the Orb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting the Orb?

I mean shooting it into some target, not shooting at it. I was thinking about the movie Rollerball and how the players skated/walked up to the hole that was the goal, and jammed the Rollerball in. Then I thought since UT is a shooter and we already have elements of this in Bombing Run, why not have a target that the Orb-Carrier can shoot the Orb into?

This could be in addition to physically capping a node with the Orb. We talked in a couple other threads about maybe having it set up so that the Orb doesn't switch control of the node, it maybe should only take down a built node, or build up a neutral node. What about having a shot Orb do this, while having a physically capped node (the way it is now) completely switch control? This would also be similar to BR, where the ball shot through the goal gets 3 pts., while a ball carried into the goal by a player gets 7 pts.

Crazy, eh?

I personally don't see anything wrong with the way UT3 had Warfare setup, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Redeemer is in Warfare to take out nodes, and in Downtown, Avalanche and in fact most maps you have the deemer AND the shape charge to do this.
    Having the orb do that would make it these redundant and then whats the point of the orb.

Only thing I think that has merit is maybe passing the orb by throwing it to a teammate further ahead, obviously not throwing it half the map that would be silly. But then this isn't really needed, hoverboard is good enough and hoverboard grappled to a viper/manta is even better.

What other game is there where you can slingshot your teammate if 2 players have skill, knowledge and timing.

Comment

The idea of a "throwing goal" for a "partial cap" sounds interesting to me. However, the way an Orb interacts with a Node is (arguably) already on the complex side, and for most people trying to learn the game, I think it likely would be viewed as a bridge too far.

What does sound like a great, intuitive idea to borrow from Bombing Run is to have some way of passing the Orb between teammates.

I imagine this would utilize something akin to BR's ball launcher — e.g., an "Orb Launcher" weapon, in the Impact Hammer slot — but where you're neither required to wield it while carrying the Orb nor restricted from using other weapons normally.

With passes you get more opportunities to advance an Orb between well positioned teammates, but at the same time, if the Orb takes damage while in flight, then the pass is broken and it falls to the ground. This could add a great risk-reward dynamic to the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Heir-Apparent View Post
        Redeemer is in Warfare to take out nodes, and in Downtown, Avalanche and in fact most maps you have the deemer AND the shape charge to do this.
        Having the orb do that would make it these redundant and then whats the point of the orb.
        Er, that's exactly what the Orb is designed for. In fact, it goes one step further and also instantly caps the very same node. (No Deemer nor shape charge in Avalanche, either, BTW)

Originally posted by Veggie_D View Post
        The idea of a "throwing goal" for a "partial cap" sounds interesting to me. However, the way an Orb interacts with a Node is (arguably) already on the complex side, and for most people trying to learn the game, I think it likely would be viewed as a bridge too far.
        You're maybe overthinking. A) Get Orb, B) Touch Node. How is that a "complex" interaction?

Comment

Originally posted by JZL View Post
          You're maybe overthinking. A) Get Orb, B) Touch Node. How is that a "complex" interaction?
          Maybe I am.

But as we both know, the interaction isn't quite that simple — the effect of a "Touch Node with Orb" event depends on the state of the Node:
          (neutral, unlinked) → no effect
          (neutral, linked or free) → cap
          (friendly, building) → cap
          (friendly, built) → no effect
          (enemy, unlinked) → no effect
          (enemy, linked or free, shielded) → no effect
          (enemy, linked or free, unshielded, built-recently) → no effect
          (enemy, linked or free, unshielded, building or built-not-recently) → cap

(And that's just for a "touch" event; it doesn't account for shielding a friendly Node by just holding the Orb in close proximity.)

For you and me this stuff is all subconscious, but for the newcomers? To many of them, in the heat of battle, in real time, that's an awful lot of conditions and inputs to process.

Comment

Working...
          X