New Gametype - Rise to Glory - "Name to Change"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] New Gametype - Rise to Glory - "Name to Change"

I proposed an idea to Raxxy about a game-type that combines both dueling and team based games into one. Its purpose is to bring both communities together and find a middle ground where those who seek glory as an individual can be backed and supported by a team who strives for synergy to dominate another team. We explained the idea to #UTContribution (Raxxy, Chumbo, Sir_Brizz, NATO, Jayoplus, Nonemm) and a rough idea unfolded into what we all believe will be a game that would be both amazing to watch and fun to play. We also believe that we found a way to incorporate some MOBA mechanics that might interest and pull players in as well.

Basics: The game will consist of two teams of 5 (5v5) where 1 player of each team is selected as Champion, and the remaining 4 players on each team will duke it out in a separate DOMINATION type arena. There are 5 rounds, and a round ends when a Champion is killed. After each round end, the next Champions in the predetermined list play.

* The Champions spawn in a separate arena at the beginning of each round that has a similar rule set as Rocket Arena (some rocket launcher self damage, but not too bad). They have a large amount of ammo and health, and there are no pickups or power ups for them to get and control.

* The Combatants in the 4v4 arena are in a typical domination map. They have unlimited lives, and they get individual points by how much their actions have assisted the champion. They control 3 nodes on the map that give their Champion heath regen or special perks. These control nodes could work in two ways.

a) Health Regeneration for the Champion will be increased or given 33% for 1 node. 66% for 2 nodes, and 100% for 3 nodes controlled. (Easy to balance)

b) Special Perks - The 3 control nodes could have individual special perks that give health regeneration, damage reduction, or weapon damage amplification. (Hard to balance)

Strategy: Strategy starts before the match even begins. While both teams are in the lobby, they will have to pick their Champion lineup. Neither team will know what the enemy champion lineup will be, so you might get the best dueling Champion playing the other teams weakest dueling Champion. However, the best dueler facing the worst dueler might not even matter. A champion relies on it's combatants to support him, so if the team fighting for the superior champion has no control on the bottom, then the superior champion will lose.

Not only do combatants need to control the nodes around the map, but they need to control ammo and powerup pickups. A portion of everything a combatant picks up is transferred to the Champion. If a champion has no ammo left to fight, it is the fault of the champion. This ammo/pickup sharing can also counter a team who has all the nodes on lock-down. If a team cannot get control of the nodes, they can suffocate the other champion by controlling the ammo/power-ups in the level. I would suggest that the nodes would not have too much ammo around them anyway. A node with too much ammo around them promotes camping of the node. Plus those defending the node need ammo themselves. It would be interesting to see an advanced team completely control the weapon that the opposing Champion is most proficient at. For instance, if Chumbo was my opposing team's Champion, our strategy would revolve around controlling all of the shock ammo in the map. Teams will be able to look up a player's stats in the lobby and determine their most proficient weapon. It's best to think of each player on the teams as MOBA characters. They each are proficient at something different, much like each MOBA character has a different roll.

Players need to know how well their champion is doing, so there could be health bars embedded on the hud showing both champions health. Aside from that, there could be a large TV/projector at every control node that shows a view of the arena the Champions are fighting in. We could even create maps where you could visually see the dueling area from the map the combatants are playing in. The possibilities are endless.

Spectating: A spectator could simply have a split screen interface. One window can view one champion, the other can view the combatants on the ground, or have three screens where the largest screen is a fly cam.

Maps: We plan on currently just converting an unused dom map into a domination map, and having a current 1v1 map be the arena where the champions fight. The plan is obviously to have custom maps, but we will most likely see custom 1v1 Rocket Arena type 1v1 Arena maps relatively soon.

Progress We have a DOM map with the DOM gametype and we also have a Rocket Arena mutator. There is a ton of work to be done, but the most talented people in the community are already planning on working on it.
    Last edited by Numb.51; 01-26-2015, 03:55 PM.

Sounds like a lot of fun. I would be interested in playing.

Comment

Interesting idea, now I can't imagine NOT testing this gamemode. **** you, now I can't unsee this gamemode... Epic or at least modders... pls make it happen :P
      Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 01-26-2015, 03:20 PM.

Comment

This really has some good potential. Looking forward to seeing this fleshed out some more.
        MyArtstation
        @jayoplus

Comment

I'm hoping to get some kind of version of this working relatively soon now that I have a more formal write up to work from.

Comment

Fantastic Idea! The idea is so good that I wish it was its very own game, e.g., "Champions of UT".

However, I wish the "Champion Duel" part had more "Standard Duel" strategy, e.g., timing / coordinating power-ups, controlling certain weapons, map positioning, etc. Rocket Arena Duel pretty much removes 90% of typical Duel strategy. It's just an "Aim Vs. Aim" type thing.

I'd really like to see the "Champion Duel" part of your mod be "Edited Standard Duel".

Edited Standard Duel:

1) 5 minute Champion Matches or first with "x" amount of frags.

2) 1 node under control: 33% Health Regen / Spawns with 50 Armor

3) 2 nodes under control: 66% Health Regen / Spawns with 100 Armor

4) 3 nodes under control: 100% Health Regen / Spawns with 150 Armor / Visual Countdown Timer on your HUD for 50/100/Belt/Boots

The values above clearly need to be edited, but you get the idea. The ultimate point is to slightly keep typical Duel strategy.
            www.mouserpad.com

Comment

de`pain the system you suggest only stacks the game further in favor of the winning player/better individual timer. The reason why I don't want powerups/pickups in the Champion duel is so that the team supplying the Champion has to work so much harder to maintain control so their Champion can win. It's all about the team aspect, and if the champion has too much control in his outcome, then it greatly diminishes the need for synergy among the players teammates taking control down below.

The champion should be telling their teammates what he/she needs. If he's running low on sniper ammo, tell your teammates you need more.

In reality, the main goal is to make a simplified duel game so everyone can enjoy it. Current duel is way too hardcore for anyone to want to get into, and in most cases duel results in a steam roll.

Essentially though, the item control in duel is transferred over to the team below.

Comment

Originally posted by Numb.51 View Post
                de`pain the system you suggest only stacks the game further in favor of the winning player/better individual timer. The reason why I don't want powerups/pickups in the Champion duel is so that the team supplying the Champion has to work so much harder to maintain control so their Champion can win. It's all about the team aspect, and if the champion has too much control in his outcome, then it greatly diminishes the need for synergy among the players teammates taking control down below.

The champion should be telling their teammates what he/she needs. If he's running low on sniper ammo, tell your teammates you need more.

In reality, the main goal is to make a simplified duel game so everyone can enjoy it. Current duel is way too hardcore for anyone to want to get into, and in most cases duel results in a steam roll.
                How would it further stack the winner? If I kill an opponent who's team has 2-3 nodes, he or she will spawn fully loaded. That is both huge and extremely team-oriented.

I understand where you're coming from, but I think the original rule-set will be impossible to balance via Rocket Arena Duel / Node benefits. Duels will either end very quickly or not at all.
                Last edited by de`pain; 01-26-2015, 05:19 PM.
                www.mouserpad.com

Comment

We don't want respawning of the Champion. Once the champion is dead then the game stops and a new round starts and a new champion is spawned from a pre picked list. We don't know for sure how long we expect the champion games to last, but i'm assuming it should be under 4 minute battles with a 5 minute time limit. These champions are like raid bosses. They have thousands of health points at the start.

This is all theoretical. Things may need to be adjusted. The only thing we don't have completely figured out is the champion duel point system. They will be rewarded in other ways beside killing their champion.

Comment

If Champion fighting becomes a bore due to the combat lasting 3-4 minutes, then we were thinking about including champion pickups that the champion can control, but items that don't help the champion, but help the team below.

We thought about having a pickup that group heals the Champions team with 50 health, and a powerup that grants the entire team amplified damage for 8 seconds.

Comment

So I'll post here a few of the things I brought up during the IRC chat simply for exposure. Keep in mind this whole idea is very early so a lot of things will certainly be iterated on (again nice concept Numb.51)

So here were the thoughts I brought up... the main goal is to keep everything as simple as possible to understand and spectate while having the tension between both the duelers and the team.

My thought is that the duel should play out as a gun-game. No powerups, health or any sort of pickups. Get a kill, go up one level in the weapon (levels are standard - enforcer, bio, shock, mini, link, flak, rocket, sniper). First to 8 kills wins the duel and team wins the round and on to next round yadda-yadda.

Everyone gets the same standard health to start 100hp, no armor. However, the buff idea as mentioned above applies. So the duelers can still get armor, health, ammo, damage amp, etc, based on the rules set up for what percentage they get from the team's performance below. Each duel is limited in time as mentioned above, but I would imagine no more than 5m (3m to 5m should probably be the range) and the duel arenas should probably be much smaller (this definitely gives some good challenges to level design). If no winner when time expires, round goes to OT and next kill wins it.

Dunno, I feel like this may make the game type much easier to explain and more accessible for spectating, etc...

Again, good stuff to bring up there Numb ^_^

cheers all.
                      MyArtstation
                      @jayoplus

Comment

Originally posted by jayoplus View Post
                        So I'll post here a few of the things I brought up during the IRC chat simply for exposure. Keep in mind this whole idea is very early so a lot of things will certainly be iterated on (again nice concept Numb.51)

So here were the thoughts I brought up... the main goal is to keep everything as simple as possible to understand and spectate while having the tension between both the duelers and the team.

My thought is that the duel should play out as a gun-game. No powerups, health or any sort of pickups. Get a kill, go up one level in the weapon (levels are standard - enforcer, bio, shock, mini, link, flak, rocket, sniper). First to 8 kills wins the duel and team wins the round and on to next round yadda-yadda.

Everyone gets the same standard health to start 100hp, no armor. However, the buff idea as mentioned above applies. So the duelers can still get armor, health, ammo, damage amp, etc, based on the rules set up for what percentage they get from the team's performance below. Each duel is limited in time as mentioned above, but I would imagine no more than 5m (3m to 5m should probably be the range) and the duel arenas should probably be much smaller (this definitely gives some good challenges to level design). If no winner when time expires, round goes to OT and next kill wins it.

Dunno, I feel like this may make the game type much easier to explain and more accessible for spectating, etc...

Again, good stuff to bring up there Numb ^_^

cheers all.
                        Yeah I actually like that idea jayoplus. We'll experiment more with both once we have a working prototype and see what is more rewarding for the perspective of the Champion!

Comment

Sounds really confusing and combining the 2 worst gametypes (imo) would just mean there's another gametype I would rarely look at.
                          But that's the beauty of UT I guess, there's always a gametype for everyone's taste.

While I was reading the explanation of it, I was so bored I zoned out and started imagining a map that was like one of those USA NASCAR race tracks, and spawning with 10 scorpians and 10 players all lined up ready to go.

Yeah! good idea Nathe. Jeez I'm good.

I'm not a car racing fan whatsoever, but I would race with a scorp any day.

Comment

Haha Heir-Apparent! I understand if it's hard to grasp on paper, but I'm sure when this amounts to something playable you may change your mind. The cool thing about this is that eventually players may be able to replace domination with TDM and other game modes. That would be on the absolute back burner though.

Comment

Originally posted by jayoplus View Post
                              My thought is that the duel should play out as a gun-game. No powerups, health or any sort of pickups. Get a kill, go up one level in the weapon (levels are standard - enforcer, bio, shock, mini, link, flak, rocket, sniper).
                              Not sure about this, too snowbally; the effective power between enforcer and shock is massive and it's likely matches would be decided by a very early lead.

Comment

Working...
                              X