Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assault Gamemode!

Dear epic/community,

thx for creating this already very nice new ut99 version, I tried it out on deck and i'm really feeling it again.
    Feels like coming home .
    I would really love a remake of the ut99's gamemode assault. Assault has been the gamemode I personally played for hours, days, months and even years and I really hope to see it again in the next UT!
    Even now there are still players competing in ut99's assault gamemode, so it really has it's playerbase.
    http://www.utassault.net
    The best thing about this gamemode is that we could enhance our ways in assaulting a map by making clever use of gametactics. Example given, we could launch a player in the air with our hammer, we could launch a player 100 meters away into the enemy base with dual hammers, we could rocket launch a person on top of a bridge/tower to complete an objective and all those tricks made the gamemode the best I have ever played in an online shooter game. Ever.

A movie of the tricks can be found here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-C6kt38oJY

Is it possible to be implementing this game mechanics/assault game mode and make the ut assault community the happiest gamers in the world?

Regards,
    Rocca.

spent many many years playing this game mode would love to play a updated version with launching

Comment

I also wait for a Statement of epic about assault and launching.
      UT4 ASSAULT - Server Admin | Community Admin
      UT4ASSAULT.COM

Forum Thread | UTA Discord | UTA Facebook
      UTA Steam Group | Email me

Comment

Can someone give me a summary of what assault game mode does?

Comment

Originally posted by Impuredeath View Post
          Can someone give me a summary of what assault game mode does?
          It's an objective/time attack mode. One side attacks an objective, the other side defends it. The two teams take a turn on each side. If the second attacking team gets at least as far as the first team, and in less time, they win the match. Otherwise they lose.

That's the basic concept.

Comment

If they bring back assault im afraid it will not be the same as ut99 (and this is a very bad thing), I was a veteran assault player back in the day and i can say without a doubt it is the most synchronized team based game mode ever made, not one game has ever even closely replicated the teamwork required for assault. the reason I say it wont be the same is because ut99 assault mode evolved into something EPIC never intended, bugs and exploits for each map were quickly found out after the games release, by some sort of luck they ended up making assault a one of a kind game mode, these exploits were known as tricks and tactics and completely defendable, so it was fair.

Along with the exploits it showed us how powerful of a tool the impact hammer could be and soon hammer launches were discovered, double hammer launches, boot hammer jumps, different types of rocket launches one for distance and one for height, etc. the only downfall of this was that their was a deeper learning curve from the rest of the ut99 modes (you needed to learn the maps, practice your hammer jumps, find out what works and what doesn't etc) and while on defense you had to place your team carefully at strategic places that compliments their style of play, if you had a guy that was insane with a sniper rifle you would place him high to guard against launches that could skip many objectives, while you had 2 minigunners on the ground for control of rushes. I really dont think they will allow this again since n00bs will not wanted to play against people that take the time to learn the maps and exploit weaknesses in defense, Sucks really

Comment

well said KingKilla !

So if you read through the threads about Assault, all want launching and boosting back, like it was in ut99.

But no statement about it at all from the developers

about your "onliest downfall-problem": In the acutall release there is a Training area... You just have to make a good tutorial about launching with the hammer and rockets, and also newcomers would know how the tricks work.
              Last edited by fatJeff; 02-23-2015, 02:46 PM.
              UT4ASSAULT.COM

Comment

a simple tutorial will not do, it would have to be extensive for assault, if people dont know everything that is possible in a single map they will call it cheap when some skilled player beats a map in 20 seconds, also if you look at u2k4 assault mode you will see epic does not "get" the old ut99 assault mode, they made objectives un-skippable and you had to do them in order, it was really completely the opposite of ut99 assault and im pretty sure they will do something like that again

part of awesomeness of assault was discussing tactics for defense before clicking, Offense had a ton of options and if you did not place your team right your plan could go right to hell. Take AS-Mazon for example as offense you could play it safe and go for the front door switch so that your team could rush right into the castle, or you could setup a launcher in your spawn area to launch all your guys to the top of the tower and they could attack from above going straight for the final switch and destroying the crystal, OR go for the chains and go in the side, possibility were endless and you really needed to think carefully on d where to place your players, it was an awesome mode, and epic could make it similar with open ended objectives, the tricks and exploits will come with it.

it also does not help that assault was the most unpopular mode in UT (although has a deep cult following) for obvious reasons listed above, so im sure this makes epic try to make it more user friendly.
                Last edited by KingKilla; 02-23-2015, 08:18 PM.

Comment

I'd love to see Assault. BUT the main problem is these maps were extremely complex. I'm completely guessing here, but to design a good Assault map must be maybe 10x the work of a good DM map. So with the limited resources that Epic seems to have for UT4 it does seem unlikely for them to pour it into Assault.

More likely is that some enterprising 3rd-party dev creates Assault and sells it in the Marketplace.

Comment

Assault was one of a kind game mode which I don't think will be replicated anytime soon.
                    A lot of map buildings and coding....

Would love too see it so hope to be proven wrong.

Comment

Assault was in my opinion the best "Team gamemode" where you had to co-operate with your team mates to finish objectives. It was really fun to play and I gladly remember the days when I played it. Many...many UT players/fans loved it and EPIC sure does need to consider to add this gamemode.

Stay frosty and pony on /)
                      ~tonicel

Comment

I'm personally thinking that IF Assault is ever added, it will take a long while, and will likely require more than a couple people.
                        Like sure, the gamemode often required tons of teamwork, but that's also because some maps would change based on the objectives being completed. usually just in terms of attacking team defense turrets, but sometimes environmental changes would happen.

The maps would require about as much work as the gametype itself if not more so. Atleast to get a sort of template for objectives and junk going.

I so want this though, would be so nice honestly just to have even just an inferior version of it.
                        Working on DM-Norkeep here and there. Will likely expand it into more of a singleplayer Monster Hunt-style map/Map Pack able to also work as a Deathmatch map, and therefore, an Invasion map.

Working on Project Overkill currently.

Comment

I would greatly appreciate another attempt at Assault. However I spent all of my assault time in 2k4, which I found to be excellent. Really though, as long as the premise remains the same, I don't think I could be bothered by how it's brought back.

Comment

There are a few ppl of the ut99 Community, who Would help and create maps. But to create them, we first Need the Core .
                            UT4ASSAULT.COM

Comment

Should we work toward what to add as in texture design and placement. As well how should approach in blueprint or code to build the game mode up. Since the blueprint could be used right way. But the most important is the blueprint if to be custom and module as one as triggers.

Comment

Working...
                              X