No announcement yet.

Assault Gamemode!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always liked how assault added different scenarios to the world of Unreal. 7 Day Siege, NEG trying to recover "Nexus" missiles, etc. I really would like to see more of it.

Comment

Make no mistakes here people, assault maps are anything but simple. Its the equivalent of making 2-3 small levels each with unique objectives as well as some kind of cool scripted finalle sequence. A modern day assault mode would probably take an experienced dev a couple months to fully block out and script.

The game mode itself, however, could be scripted in a fair amount of time but the more I think about it the more complex even that starts to sound. (At first I too was thinking how simple it would be!)

It mostly boils down to game state understand stages and keeping track what stage the attackers have reached and making sure to teleport all of the player spawns up to the next area.

It would be up to the designer to open and close doors/paths based on level progress.

You would also need to keep track of anyone who was left behind and force them up to the next area.

You have to have a scoring system to track what team is doing the best. You also need to have a half time style system where teams switch sides at the end.

You also have to make sure there are HUD elements to display where the objectives are and the maps have to be designed so that they are not confusing.

Its actually a pretty big project.
      Last edited by Castle; 05-11-2015, 10:17 PM.
      - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
      YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjE...JOGtfv1RK2DpNg
      Steemit: https://steemit.com/@thecastle
      Twitter: @zZCastleZz

Comment

So is anyone actually working on it?
        UT4 ASSAULT - Server Admin | Community Admin
        UT4ASSAULT.COM

Forum Thread | UTA Discord | UTA Facebook
        UTA Steam Group | Email me

Comment

I put together a few concepts that in my opinion, could simplify the creation of AS maps a lot. I was planning of implementing it on my own after getting more experience in BP, but if anyone is interested in creating an AS prototype with these concepts now (although I don't honestly think it's the right time), I won't mind to share them.

As for the absence of launching and other sequence breakers in UT4, we can't be sure it'll make a new Assault fail as Smant told me on Twitter. The only UT besides 99 with Assault is 2004, and as far as I've seen, every gamemode besides Duel, TAM and maybe BR was competitively killed off by its community for being incompatible with the floaty gameplay, so I don't think we can count that as a fail. Assault in UT2004 is a wonderful concept that brings epic battles to life (Mothership has been in our hearts for 11 years now), but you could say it was at the wrong game.

Comment

I'd love to see oldschool assault with UT99 assault league spirit

Comment

Greatest gametype ever! I really hope to play in UT4. It would be a real UNREAL!

Comment

Originally posted by KingKilla View Post
                If they bring back assault im afraid it will not be the same as ut99 (and this is a very bad thing), I was a veteran assault player back in the day and i can say without a doubt it is the most synchronized team based game mode ever made, not one game has ever even closely replicated the teamwork required for assault. the reason I say it wont be the same is because ut99 assault mode evolved into something EPIC never intended, bugs and exploits for each map were quickly found out after the games release, by some sort of luck they ended up making assault a one of a kind game mode, these exploits were known as tricks and tactics and completely defendable, so it was fair.

Along with the exploits it showed us how powerful of a tool the impact hammer could be and soon hammer launches were discovered, double hammer launches, boot hammer jumps, different types of rocket launches one for distance and one for height, etc. the only downfall of this was that their was a deeper learning curve from the rest of the ut99 modes (you needed to learn the maps, practice your hammer jumps, find out what works and what doesn't etc) and while on defense you had to place your team carefully at strategic places that compliments their style of play, if you had a guy that was insane with a sniper rifle you would place him high to guard against launches that could skip many objectives, while you had 2 minigunners on the ground for control of rushes. I really dont think they will allow this again since n00bs will not wanted to play against people that take the time to learn the maps and exploit weaknesses in defense, Sucks really
                I would love to actually work on the new Assault game mode. If you are a veteran KingKilla, you might remember my IGN MinisterFish since I was #1 on ngStats for almost a year for Assault and was usually in the top 10 at other times. Some of the tactics was part of the fun of AS. They were different than the tactics found in CTF, DOM, and DM. It's what made the game mode stand on its own.

Bugs and exploits are a different topic and can not just be pinned to AS. Bugs and exploits were done in all game modes. Impact hammer jump was not an exploit. You took damage from it. Rocket jumps when team damage is turned off might be considered an exploit but there were tournaments where team damage was turned on to prevent that.

There was a learning curve. But once again, that's all game modes. Do you think people would want to 1v1 Jayoplus in DM? They do so that they can learn to get better. I feel that would be any game mode.

I wasn't a big fan of Double Domination in UT2003. I like the original Domination. Bombing Run wasn't bad but I didn't play it much. AS came back in UT2004 but for some reason it didn't have the same feeling as the original. Onslaught wasn't bad but just like Bombing Run, I didn't play it much. I really don't care for any of the vehicles. That's the only thing I don't want in UT4; no more vehicles.

Once again, if someone is working on AS or DOM, let me know. I am willing to help out with coding, levels, testing, whatever.
                Last edited by CreepyOG; 05-20-2015, 04:22 PM.

Comment

You should Check this Thread If you wanna help:

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...?17860-Assault
                  UT4 ASSAULT - Server Admin | Community Admin
                  UT4ASSAULT.COM

Forum Thread | UTA Discord | UTA Facebook
                  UTA Steam Group | Email me

Comment

@ smant: I tried coming to pugs not just once after I quit every couple of years again. There are always people there so thats good. But for me there is now nothing new in it so personally it quickly fades away again.

Thats exactly why I think It will shine in UT4 again! In ut99 we did everything to develop tricks will all the "arsenal" of movement options exploited to the maximum. Now this arsenal is much larger and peoples creativity can be at work again. I just hope launching is not sacrificed for this.

Even if launching will be implemented as a mutator or even as a pickup. It has to be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Voyles View Post
                      I really don't care for any of the vehicles. That's the only thing I don't want in UT4; no more vehicles.
                      What I'll say has been repeated to death: If you don't care about vehicles, that's ok, but it's not because you don't want vehicles, that people that want them in UT4 shouldn't get them. Gametypes with and without vehicles are very well divided, it doesn't make any sense to feel uncomfortable with their presence in the game.

Comment

Hello guys, I am really satisfied to see that not only Unreal is going to make its big return but also the assault mod will be part of it, this is absolutely the best news of the year !

Comment

Is there an Assault mod in the works? Or as built in part of the game ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurkburken View Post
                            Is there an Assault mod in the works? Or as built in part of the game ?
                            Only some guys gathering ideas for an Assault community gamemode here.

Comment

Working...
                            X