Freeze tag

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeze tag

A game mode from Quake Live that i realy enjoy and has a lot of depth to it when played with teams who know what they are doing.
    First team to eliminate the other team wins the round. There is a set number of rounds to win the match.
    You frag other players just by shooting them. When you are fragged you turn into an ice pillar. Team mates can see a frozen budy on the map. Team mates can resque you by standing next to you for a few seconds. his makes the game realy going back and forth.You win the round by freezing all players of the other team. The items/ weapons just spawn like they do in a standard DM, TDM. All kinds of variations can be added to this quake life classic of course, for instance that you need a specific weapon to unfreeze teammate etc...

There was a MOD for this in UT3 and most of us found it fun but some other people didn't like it. But, I would like to see a Freeze tag mod in UT4. Hope somebody does make it.
    Last edited by HyperShot; 03-07-2015, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Freeze Tag with Instagib or only normal Weapons ? I really liked the freeze tag with instagib, was one of the best mods

Comment

Originally posted by FukeYA View Post
        Freeze Tag with Instagib or only normal Weapons ? I really liked the freeze tag with instagib, was one of the best mods
        This sounds incredibly fun.

Comment

ql has both nw/ig, its really fun. great team mode for new players aswell

Comment

This is probably my least favorite in Quake Live, because standing there being frozen for sometimes several minutes is the most boring thing you could possibly have in an Arena Shooter. At least with Clan Arena I get to watch other players and learn from them or their mistakes. But with Freeze Tag you're just standing there. And if you're unlucky no one comes to unfreeze you or you're being guarded by the enemy team.

I guess, someone will definitely create Freeze Tag at some point for the new UT, but it shouldn't be an official gametype. Ideally Epic will avoid all gametypes, where you have significant downtimes, to keep the game fun for everyone.

Comment

I played a few rounds of this in UT3 (normal weapons), was fun. Seemed to work especially fine regarding "waiting times" on small maps like Biohazard since the rounds were often either over pretty quick or you didn't have to stay freezed for very long.

Adds even more teamplay/strats emphasis to TDM which certainly isn't a bad thing.

I wouldn't mind it if it was a mutator but the list of mutators and gamemodes will quickly grow fairly huge so whether or not it should be an official mutator is a bit 50/50 for me.
              Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 04-08-2015, 07:35 AM.

Comment

I think there's a certain humor to being frozen and doing pelvic thrust taunts to people who are etc Never minded waiting much but I agree it can become abit annoying on big maps
                Last edited by nuxx; 04-08-2015, 08:25 AM.

Comment

It should definitely be possible to spectate other players while out and frozen. A screen announcement could just notify the player when a team mate stops to thaw him and the cam switches back to first person anyway once you're good to go again.

How did 2k4 Freon handle this? I honestly don't remember standing around much, but this may be nostalgia blurring the view.

Comment

Originally posted by TourianTourist View Post
                    This is probably my least favorite in Quake Live, because standing there being frozen for sometimes several minutes is the most boring thing you could possibly have in an Arena Shooter. At least with Clan Arena I get to watch other players and learn from them or their mistakes. But with Freeze Tag you're just standing there. And if you're unlucky no one comes to unfreeze you or you're being guarded by the enemy team.
                    I'm not sure what kind of game you played with. But as far as I could remember UT2k4's Freon had the ability to spectate teammates with left-click or using right-click to move back to your frozen playermodel and observe your surroundings. And since you can be thawed by your teammates or by time, it's less boring because you know you might jump back into action anytime, instead of waiting an unending round of CA where everyone turtles it out..
                    Plus, knowing that depending on your teamwork you can have a second, third, fourth (and so on) chance, it discourages turtling and opens up for more aggressive, tactical and interesting gameplay.

I would not mind at all having it as an official gametype. There are players who are literally screaming for jailbreak.. Well, then you can't dismiss an iconic gametype sourcing from the old quake days.. I mean come on..
                    > FreezeTag [Blueprint]
                    > Reimagining of Greed [BluePrint]
                    > Avarice, a DM-variant of Greed [BluePrint]

Comment

Originally posted by TourianTourist View Post

I guess, someone will definitely create Freeze Tag at some point for the new UT, but it shouldn't be an official gametype. Ideally Epic will avoid all gametypes, where you have significant downtimes, to keep the game fun for everyone.
                      There is a modded server in Quake Live called Ultra Freeze Tag which is a lot more fun b/c the rounds don't restart and the winning team doesn't unthaw so the loosing team has an incentive to quickly kill the enemies and gets a win and also in the original Quake 3 the ufreeze mode had player specing like in UT3 and a lot of other modifications to make the game-play better and more pro but Quake Live devs suck so they make their modes based off of beta versions :"(

Comment

Made an attempt for you guys.
                        > FreezeTag [Blueprint]
                        > Reimagining of Greed [BluePrint]
                        > Avarice, a DM-variant of Greed [BluePrint]

Comment

Don't know how it looks like on previous unreal versions but in quake 3 it was pretty popular mod especially for instagib, and by the way we could spectate our teammates either, only in quake live it is a problem at this moment due to lack of developers.
                          Also you can check out this link for some frag movie made on one of the popular freeze tag mod on quake 3 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dfHeSa8yTs
                          I hope i am not breaking any rule by posting it there, i only want to show an example of freeze tag.

Comment

an example
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS_zDki0VDw&hd=1

Comment

How do we make this a real suggestion to the DEV team? In essence Freeze Tag is LTS but instead of the players dying when they get shot they freeze and can be unfrozen if a teammate stands near them for 3 seconds.. The score only comes from all of one team being completely frozen.

Comment

Working...
                              X