Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] Experimental Gametype

Hello.

I started to work on an "XMP related" game type.
    For now I got the movement basics in. They are:
    • Dodging
    • Wall-dodging
    • "Jump Jet Jumping"
    • "Active" Sprinting
    • Slope Boosting
    • "Active" Mantling

Sprinting is based on stamina and you can sprint for like three seconds, then it recharges.

"Jump Jet Jumping" means that your character has some sort of jetpack on his back (like the Jump Module from Half-Life). The force is not "one-shot" though, and gives an upwards impulse over a short amount of time. This force just works against the characters mass. So if you quickly press jump again after a first jump, it will boost you up the most, whereas it only softens your landing if you activate just before landing. The usual "movement flow" is sprint -> dodge -> use jump jets at the end of your dodge -> land -> jump -> repeat. You either jump and then jet jump, or dodge and then jet jump. If you wall-dodge after a "jump -> jet jump" you can jet jump a second time.

For those who don't know: slope boosting is when you dodge against a slope your character cannot walk on. I made it a lot more powerful than it is in UT.

"Active Mantling" means you can hold down the jump key while approaching a ledge that you are going to miss. You will be pulled up as long as your head is on or above the height of the ledge.

I removed all the rolling and wall sliding etc. because I don't like that.

Here's a video of the movement:

Last edited by Saiboat; 03-15-2015, 12:50 PM.
    XMP | THREAD

Looking good Saiboat!

Just out of curiosity, are you working on this as an individual gametype or a mutator that can simply be added to any game type right now? Either way I look forward to trying it out. I've been waiting for XMP movement (C++ isn't my strong suit) so I can begin to work on scaling a map to it. When this hits a state of being stable enough to test and distribute, I'd love to test it.

Originally posted by Saiboat View Post
    I removed all the rolling and wall sliding etc. because I don't like that.

(PS, "Experimental Gametype" is a very vague description, I nearly glossed over this thread)

Comment

Hey. I'll have it as an individual gametype because I will add hacking, generators, classes, reloading etc. over time. I called it EG because I don't want to copy XMP and the IP that comes with it. I'll start with the XMP gameplay and then probably modify or change some aspects of it.
      Note that of course EG is just a temporary name
      Last edited by Saiboat; 03-12-2015, 05:11 AM.
      XMP | THREAD

Comment

Unreal Tournament 4 Modification - Hacking Energy Sources

Last edited by Saiboat; 03-18-2015, 03:50 AM.
        XMP | THREAD

Comment

So that's cool, but you should really put out the WIP source or at the very least detail what you're working on. I want to continue working in the same direction myself, and it will help nobody if our work is duplicated and/or doesn't match up.
          Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
          My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Hey Emerald, I tried to talk to you via Google+ multiple times but you don't seem to be reading my messages there
            I want to build an XMP kinda gametype first, four flags, deploypoints, team energy, three classes, vehicles, hacking, healing eachother, reviving etc. all that kinda jazz but then I want to drift of from that and change a lot of it up like have four classes, aircraft, different ways to obtain flags etc. So I don't want to make a real XMP clone in the end but more something in the direction of the original XMP plans which is far more strategic and sophisticated. Maybe add leveling, team leveling, teams voting on what to level etc. That sounds like something I would enjoy - while keeping a focus on a fast and quick game experience where not every round has to last half an hour or so.
            I don't want to go open source - I'd rather build something in private that is fun to play and to test and then release it when I think the time is right. I'd happily code with a team aswell, but you seem to be more of the open source loving guy. That's fine, but it's not the direction I would like to go, this is my, or my team's project

Edit: Also I realized that this thread isn't in the right category, it's not supposed to become a UT Gametype but rather a mod standing on its own feet. I thought there was a UT Work in Progress category, but now it's just for level design - hm.
            Last edited by Saiboat; 03-18-2015, 03:53 AM.
            XMP | THREAD

Comment

Again, I'm using Google Talk, not Google+, it's the thing you see in GMail and whatnot!

It sounds like a good plan to me. But yes, I am a FOSS person and I'm not interested in working on closed-source software. So it's rather unfortunate that I won't be able to contribute if you decide to go that way.

And huh, you're right, the WIP category just got moved to level design...

Comment

• hooked up energy sources to team energy
                • artifact nodes
                • can throw carried artifacts
                • artifacts simulate phyics when dropped
                • can store artifacts by throwing them or pushing them into the node by shooting them

Unreal Tournament 4 Modification - Capturing Artifacts

XMP | THREAD

Comment

3 orbs, artifacts, powerus or whatever initiates a protocol than release droid defense that attacking rivals for a while counting as frags until you die or it times finish

Comment

Originally posted by Saiboat View Post
                    • hooked up energy sources to team energy
                    • artifact nodes
                    • can throw carried artifacts
                    • artifacts simulate phyics when dropped
                    • can store artifacts by throwing them or pushing them into the node by shooting them
                    **** Sai! You're making quick progress with this! Its sad to hear that you're going closed source with it (simply because I'd love to study the code and learn a little bit), but I am still excited none-the-less.

I don't have a ton of experience with game design, but I would love to contribute in any way possible. Hit me up if you wanna chat about what your plans are and what you need to get there.

Edit:
                    Originally posted by Yeikdroid View Post
                    3 orbs, artifacts, powerus or whatever initiates a protocol than release droid defense that attacking rivals for a while counting as frags until you die or it times finish
                    Not entirely sure where you're going with this, but it sounds like you're proposing sort of a "survival" or "invasion" esq gametype which is more of a PvC thing, which could be neat, but I think a little outside the scope of of this project
                    Last edited by NamelessHero; 03-24-2015, 05:14 PM.

Comment

- scoreboard shows individual playernames instead of "x players spectating"
                      - on join you are spectating instead of being forced to a team
                      - you can go in and out of spectate mode as you like
                      - spawnmenu, bound to "m"
                      - choose between two classes (because we only have two player models atm), no class specific functionality yet
                      - choose which team to play on
                      - spawn or go back to spectate mode
                      - bound a toggle for behindview to "c"

up next: selectable and dynamic respawn points instead of fixed teamplayerstarts

Unreal Tournament 4 Modification - Spawn Menu

Last edited by Saiboat; 03-26-2015, 09:27 PM.
                      XMP | THREAD

Comment

Originally posted by NamelessHero View Post
                        **** Sai! You're making quick progress with this! Its sad to hear that you're going closed source with it (simply because I'd love to study the code and learn a little bit), but I am still excited none-the-less.

I don't have a ton of experience with game design, but I would love to contribute in any way possible. Hit me up if you wanna chat about what your plans are and what you need to get there.
                        Thanks, I'm rushing to get it kinda feature complete, at least the core gameplay: Hacking, Energy, Respawnpoints, four flags, multiple classes that move at different speed, have differrent amounts of health etc.
                        Then I'll clean up and ask Epic to add some UT APIs so people can play my game mode. I could use a mapper.

Originally posted by Yeikdroid View Post
                        I'm not exactly sure what you are on about dude but I had in mind to add bots to a team (if the team levels up or gets to a point where they can spawn stupid bots like creeps in DotA or something like that).

Edit: Oh also I'm glad to tell y'all that Aksen has made some sounds and voice announcements for me to put into the game soon
                        Last edited by Saiboat; 03-26-2015, 09:25 PM.
                        XMP | THREAD

Comment

- maps can have "MapCameras", if a player joins, he is looking through a random mapcamera first. nice to show a beautiful vista to the player upon joining
                          - after selecting a team and class the player is moved to a "waiting to respawn" mode, where he can move forwards and backwards through a list of possible respawn points
                          - respawnpoints are hackable, this means a respawn points belongs to team blue or red, or is neutral at the start of a round. players can hack them to add them to their selectable
                          respawn points. they also have a flag "bHackable" so you can set one for each team as bHackable = false so each team will allways have a respawn points.
                          - each respawnpoints should have assigned a camera which is showing the respawn points and its surrounding area. this is what a player sees if he is browsing through respawn points.
                          - if you die and press fire you'll be in "choose respawn mode" again
                          - Ecto is the Necris character now and Endo is Malcom. Endo is slower and has a longer but not as forcefull jump jet
                          - ecto has enforcer, sniper rifle and asmod, endo is equipped with rocketlauncher and flak cannon
                          - ecto spawns with only one piece of armor and endo with two, will probably change to shield though.
                          - added new jumpjet sounds from aksen, soon to add a whole lot of voice announcements

Unreal Tournament 4 Modification - Dynamic Respawn Points

Last edited by Saiboat; 03-31-2015, 02:29 PM.
                          XMP | THREAD

Comment

Every time I check in you've made even more awesome progress!

I'll start to work on a little mapping for this mod, and hopefully I can put together something playable in the next couple of weeks. Would love to play around with your movement mods whenever they're in a shareable state.

Comment

Saiboat told me that he didn't have the time to work more on this for the time being, so he gave the code to me. I cleaned it up a bit, made it compile on the current git master, and put it up on GitHub so that anyone would be able to check it out and contribute to it further:
                              https://github.com/GreatEmerald/UT4XMPGameMode

While one can play with it in the editor, I haven't managed to test it in game, however, since for me PIE keeps crashing every time, and I didn't have much time to look into why either.

Comment

Working...
                              X