Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are devs only think in a flat 2D world ? or technic limitation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are devs only think in a flat 2D world ? or technic limitation?

Hi every one !

I'm do this post to talk about one of my biggest frustration of the century (and previous one) ^^

Since real 3D FPS exist (I guess quake 1 ) I wonder why game seems never go beyond classique world vision
    A flat world with one way gravity
    but in fact reality is not like that
    earth is a ****ing ball

so why the **** there is not map that look like a ****ing ball??????

Or imagine a world when you can walk on wall on roof ... sorry , a map where there is no roof and wall... just a ground ! the ground of other player is your roof

Since UT 99 i'll try to create map that fully used the 3 dimensions but i'll stuck cause of limitation of the engine option (or my knowledge of it)

I'm sorry i'm just a biologist (and french) i'll try to code myself but i'm a dumb at that ...

So i hope someone done there will hear my call to programme such thing
    gravity in all direction without limitation

regards
    Attached Files
    Last edited by greatmazingerz; 03-15-2015, 06:46 AM.

You might want to try Super Mario Galaxy. It offers exactly what you're looking for, but of course you can't make your own maps there.

In the case of the Unreal Engine 4, from what I know it only supports z-axis gravity as of now. However, there have been some individual experiments to change it, with this one being the most recent and successful, even supporting spherical gravity. It's not an official part of the engine yet, but maybe for UT it can be explored in the future. It could be a really cool feature, if some maps suddenly allowed you to walk on ceilings. That's the kind of WOW-effect that could get more people interested in UT. On the other hand it could also be super confusing and awful... but we should definitely explore the possibility.
    Last edited by TourianTourist; 03-15-2015, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Would be fun to have at least one map that screws with your mind

This is an example from Xonotic:

In some rooms you can jump to the ceiling and walk on it, and certain hallways lead you right back to the main hall without making turns.
      Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

There were a few user created maps in UT2 that supported multi-axis (variable) gravity.

Also, the game Prey had variable gravity.
        Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

@Archer6621:
          None of this is done with directional gravity. Xonotic's engine supports something called "seamless portals" and that's what gets used in this map. You can basically create infinite corridors with it or watch yourself walking around. The parts, where it seems like you change gravity and start walking on the ceiling, are simply portals with a change in direction, that's it. It can be super confusing, but if done right also lead to some really awesome maps.

Seamless portals are definitely a thing I would love to see in UT4, because it offers some great possibilities. There even have been a couple of threads suggesting this feature here already. However, it doesn't have much to do with directional gravity, which is what the author of this thread is looking for.

Comment

The Matrix!
            [Concept] Impact Hammer: Alternative Fire
            [Concept] Game Mode: Infiltration

Comment

Originally posted by TourianTourist View Post
              You might want to try Super Mario Galaxy. It offers exactly what you're looking for, but of course you can't make your own maps there.

In the case of the Unreal Engine 4, from what I know it only supports z-axis gravity as of now. However, there have been some individual experiments to change it, with this one being the most recent and successful, even supporting spherical gravity. It's not an official part of the engine yet, but maybe for UT it can be explored in the future. It could be a really cool feature, if some maps suddenly allowed you to walk on ceilings. That's the kind of WOW-effect that could get more people interested in UT. On the other hand it could also be super confusing and awful... but we should definitely explore the possibility.

thanks a lot for showing me this thread
              so some people work on that, it's nice

now we can explore if it's interesting adition to specific map gameplay

thx

Comment

Originally posted by Archer6621 View Post
                Would be fun to have at least one map that screws with your mind

This is an example from Xonotic:

In some rooms you can jump to the ceiling and walk on it, and certain hallways lead you right back to the main hall without making turns.
                really interesting this portal system
                could give a really intense battle i'm sure ^^
                I like when game try to not only mimic reality, but explore beyond
                Last edited by greatmazingerz; 03-15-2015, 11:20 AM.

Comment

The term for this is "Zero Point Gravity". I also wish epic added some kind of option for it.

Comment

Seamless portals were part of UT99 (and if memory serves well, also in UT2k4). There were a limited number of maps using it. It has its usages and can definitely impact the gameplay in various ways. I haven't seen the feature in UE4 yet. Is it on the Trello board?

Comment

Originally posted by F3NR1S View Post
                      Seamless portals were part of UT99 (and if memory serves well, also in UT2k4).
                      I totally forgot about that, but I now only remember DM-Fractal using this feature and some custom maps. Not sure about UT200x though... but I did find a video for seamless portals in UDK:

It's really weird that Epic didn't explore this any further at the time though, because it's one of the coolest features in Xonotic. If done right, you could pull off some neat little illusions with it:

Comment

that true there was portal on UT 99. Bring good fun

Comment

Working...
                        X