Get The Flag(?) Gamemode IDEA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get The Flag(?) Gamemode IDEA

Since in 'capture' the flag you need to capture it from the enemy base. You can't call this CTF.
    You need to 'get' the flag, so ... GTF? Can't think of a more suitable name, ideas are welcome!

Imagine a map with a base for every team and 1 flag in the middle.
    They have to fight for that flag and try to take it to their own base.

If a player from TEAM1 takes it and dies, the flag drops and remains there untill picked up by another player from either TEAM1 or TEAM2.
    It will not be 'returned' to its spawning spot.

It will be a back and forth match and it can go very fast on smaller maps.
    I was thinking about 2v2 (small) and 5v5 (medium) with instagib.

A map can look something like this:

Attached Files
    Last edited by RPRGG; 03-20-2015, 10:34 AM.
    Gregg 'rpR'
    Steam Profile
    ESL Profile
    Team & LAN History
    Twitter
    Twitch TV

This is typically called "One Flag CTF" but in UT it is called "Bombing Run"
    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Years of UT and never came across that/played it.
      I checked out some vids, looks like its all on bigger maps. I'd like to see something like this on a smaller map so there is constant action and a constant back and forth with the flag.
      Gregg 'rpR'
      Steam Profile
      ESL Profile
      Team & LAN History
      Twitter
      Twitch TV

Comment

Yeah although Bombing Run needs some real rethinking I think. In UC2 they did Overdose which was a BR-alike that was less team based. Something team based like Overdose would probably be good and work on maps of both sizes. However, something needs to be done about punting. Competitively BR was all about punting (tossing the ball and then shooting it into the goal with the shock rifle).
        BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
          Yeah, it's basically Bombing Run, which is a good idea for a game mod, IMHO. It just didn't take off in UT 2004 because on-foot games failed due to the floaty-dodgey movement and emphasis on hitscan, but it would have been Da Bomb if it were a standard game type in UT99.
          UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

Yeah it's loosely based on FragBall from UT.

Comment

The difference is that in Bombing Run and One Flag CTF you have to take the ball / flag into the enemy base, instead of bringing it back home. Though I guess that wouldn't be much of a challenge ...

Comment

Some 1CTF variants have the flag in one base and one team play offense while the other plays defense and switch sides between caps.

Comment

Some 1CTF variants have the flag in one base and one team play offense while the other plays defense and switch sides between caps.
                  Ah, yeah, I think Quake Live does that with "Attack & Defend", which also has rounds similar to Clan Arena. I never found this gametype to be much fun, but the advantage is that it could be played on normal CTF maps, while the other variant needs a center point in the map, where the flag spawns, which not all CTF maps provide. But map layouts are probably an interesting topic on their own, especially designing hybrid maps, which work with different gametypes.

Comment

GTFO = Get The Flag Out

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

I like the game type "Payload" from Team Fortress 2 where your team tries to push a bomb on a rail cart along a track into the enemy base, at which point it explodes and your team wins. Unlike Bombing Run, the play occurs along a single track. There were two types, one that was like UT Assault where one team plays offense and the other defends with forward spawn points opening up as progress is made. The other one gave each team a bomb cart. I think that would be a lot of fun in UT4, but would there be a way to create that without violating any copyrights?
                      Last edited by WHIPperSNAPper; 03-22-2015, 11:54 PM.
                      UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

I doubt there is anything copyrightable about Payload plus you could just change what you're pushing where.

Comment

I doubt there is anything copyrightable about Payload plus you could just change what you're pushing where.
                          Yeah, you're right. They can't copyright the idea for that type of game (copyrights can't protect ideas; you need a patent for that). If some enterprising modder wants to create that Assault-like game type, I bet it would be a hit.

Comment

Working...
                          X