Please save CTF : faster teleporter + 3 rockets pack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please save CTF : faster teleporter + 3 rockets pack

Hi, as a former CTF attacker, I'm very sad with the current build and I'd like to mention 2 points to explain why : teleporter, rockets

14 years ago, I discovered UT99. Some friends were playing CTF and it was amazing because they teleported all the time ! I didn't understand anything but WOW, it is one of the reasons I played UT almost every days of the next 5 years as attacker in CTF matches. The teleporter is not only a tool to cross maps as in UT4. It is one of the favorite weapons of the CTF attackers, to surprise defenders, to float above defense or to reach unexpected positions. I don't mention the telefrag that I always disliked.
    The time between 2 teleportations needs to be much shorter. And considering the spread of the combo, the teleporter should be launched further to be able to avoid them.

As attacker, lethal weapons are required before taking the flag to survive when getting out the base especially when shieldgun is not available (as in ut2004). In previous UT we had flak and loaded rockets. In current build, rockets launched separatly are useless when attacking. I understand thay in duel it could be frustrating to be killed by a 3 rockets pack but in CTF, it is mandatory.

well that is my opinion. CTF players, what do you think about the current build ?
    Cunni, 37 years old, 16 years of UT, 90% CTF, 10% Duel
    https://www.twitch.tv/cunni_ut
    http://plays.tv/u/Cunni
    Discord PUG Community

You should think of defenders too. It is frustrating a lot when player jumps like hell with a translocator - very high movement speed, hard to hit and so on. Such thing just ruins all the perfect balance of weapons and (regular) movement.
    And some servers even allows translocators in a regular DM - that's result in a complete BS. Yes, it feels fun and very fast, but the game becomes unpredictable and even stupid.
    The hoverboard in UT3 is much more suitable solution to increase movement speed. The player's movements are still predictable and the tradeoffs from using a hoverboard are strong too.

PS: I am not against translocator - it is very fun "weapon", but it should be implemented extremely wisely or the game with TL falls to a chaos.

Comment

I always found the transition of frag power from a dm/tdm/1v1 background to be negligible in ut1 ctf due to the trans. To be honest I never spent anytime at it but those did got very skilled. It has a big learning curve and is just a different type of game with a high learning ceiling and very fast gameplay, alot of the players were extremely skillful with the translocator, and the european clanbase scene had many top clans and an active playerbase for over a decade, in fact there's still pugs played daily today over on quakenet.

I guess what I'm trying to say is for any game type to thrive, it needs that skill ceiling where players feel like they improve and the game play is diverse. It's lacking in UT4 and died very quickly in UT3 also. The solution? Who knows. Trans was OP overall imo and made weapon skills less important resulting in a mainly hitscan environment(besides at the top levels), but it made the gameplay way faster and intense. Imo if its similar to how the gameplay is now it`ll suffer the same fate ut3 ctf did in europe
      Last edited by nuxx; 03-26-2015, 05:16 AM.

Comment

They really should just copy UT99 CTF - even down to the sound of the translocator.
        www.mouserpad.com

Comment

Yeah, they really should.

Comment

They really shouldn't. I agree with the OP for the most part.
            HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
            BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

It's clear you are talking as an attacker. It's super frustrating as a defender to basically see a guy warping around the place.
              Gregg 'rpR'
              Steam Profile
              ESL Profile
              Team & LAN History
              Twitter
              Twitch TV

Comment

Originally posted by Vimmix View Post
                ...It's super frustrating as a defender to basically see a guy warping around the place.
                TL just completely changes the game flow. It is very hard to implement it w\o having to re-balance all other stuff in a game.
                So far the only strong point about TL - it is fun to use and it is unique to UT game series

Comment

I was a defender and found it amusing when some moron was essentially flying across the map with an xloc. Easy shots because people have patterns that you learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Vimmix View Post
                    It's clear you are talking as an attacker. It's super frustrating as a defender to basically see a guy warping around the place.
                    I have always played defense or midfield and I never had a problem getting rid of people trying to telemonkey all over the place. Horrible telemonkeying is something both charges and the post trans ghost solve.
                    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

If you've never had a problem with it, then why does it even need to be "solved"? BURN.

Comment

I've never had a problem with it in the games I've played competitively, which does not include UT, which means that solutions I mentioned were already in place

Comment

i think CTF plays quite well now actually
                          i've played quite a number of high quality games so far, and it's been very intense

we can never, ever, ever, see translocator charges again. you need to have unlimited charges
                          as raxxy said - people have patterns when telemonkeying around, it's not that hard to take them down

OP - i would say you haven't played UT4 CTF much yet. give it more time, i'm sure you will like it

Comment

Personally I don't mind charges. I think it's silly to have an ultimatum on a weapon that it can't work a certain way. I've had people tell me "just make the TL have a 1 second cooldown and that will fix all the problems with it". Well, what do you think charges do? It gives you a limited number of TL charges you can throw as fast as you want and then gives you a one second cooldown. It seems like a good number of people just don't understand what the purpose of the charges were in the first place and were just hung up on "limited shots" which is not what it was at all.

That's not to say there aren't other ways to solve the TL but that way does work pretty well.

That being said, the current TL is a pile of **** and makes CTF not fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
                              That being said, the current TL is a pile of **** and makes CTF not fun.
                              how?

charges are bad, and i've never come across what i would call an elite CTF player that would think that was a good change.

Comment

Working...
                              X