Who cares of graphics? :P
    Map design yes.
    Cunni, 37 years old, 16 years of UT, 90% CTF, 10% Duel
    https://www.twitch.tv/cunni_ut
    http://plays.tv/u/Cunni
    Discord PUG Community

Comment

Originally posted by NeoZee View Post
      All I really want is UT99 with better graphics. If the developers question what to do on some element...just make it like UT99. The creators did few things wrong in that game.
      Interestingly, UT99 was by far the most successful of the UT games based on player counts, the amount of custom content, and clan match activity, being more successful than UT 2003, UT 2004, and UT3 combined. It makes you wonder if UT99 had some sort of a special game play formula or movement/weapons chemistry that the later versions lacked.
      UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

It had the best scaling with character size/map size and responsive movement, same characteristics which made q3a so successful. On top of that it had great attention to detail, the vocal taunts were genius and soundtrack amazing. UT4 feels similar in scale to UT3, disappointing imo
        Last edited by nuxx; 03-30-2015, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nuxx View Post
          It had the best scaling with character size/map size and responsive movement, same characteristics which made q3a so successful. On top of that it had great attention to detail, the vocal taunts were genius and soundtrack amazing. UT4 feels similar in scale to UT3, disappointing imo
          I also agree UT99 did the scaling the best, to me it's perfect. The size of the world (or should I say playersize vs mapsize/scaling) feels natural and matches roughly the scaling you encounter in most other arena shooters too so it's not too cramped or too large and a good balance between hitscan and projectile gameplay without making it too spammy. The movement is also very responsive and it's hard to hit a full-flak in close combat for example compared to UT4.

Scaling is really one of those things I don't like about UT4, it feels so odd and unnatural, there's not enough room.
          Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 03-30-2015, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post

Scaling is really one of those things I don't like about UT4, it feels so odd and unnatural, there's not enough room.
            Yup I don't get it either. The deck pit in ut1 feels like it has more playability than say the shock room on outpost. I wish I was exaggerating. Still pre alpha though Who knows how the game will end up

Comment

Originally posted by WHIPperSNAPper View Post
              Interestingly, UT99 was by far the most successful of the UT games based on player counts, the amount of custom content, and clan match activity, being more successful than UT 2003, UT 2004, and UT3 combined. It makes you wonder if UT99 had some sort of a special game play formula or movement/weapons chemistry that the later versions lacked.
              It is DRM free, runs on a toaster, still works quite well with very little tweaking on newer systems, has good balance, and the list could go on and on.

It should be noted that nobody here really knows if UT was as much of a financial success as any later game. We simply don't have those numbers.

Also your combined grading depends greatly on when you measured. I'm sure that the peak player counts of 2k3, 2k4, and UT3 combined beat UT's peak but that's not much of a feat
              HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
              BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

I played plenty of ctf myself in every possition attack, defend, midfield where ever. You cant compare ut4 ctf to ut99. Translocator was better, you can leave it anywhere and teleport there 5min later. You could beat the flag runner to their base easily. You could telefrag easier It was perfect. So what if they telegrag past you... its not deathmatch you can get a million frags and lose if you dont cap the flag. You can win ctf without shooting. Point of ctf is not to keep enemies out but keep the flag in.
                They will always make it to your flag. Defenders are supposed to alert players which way flag carrier went "high high high" " low low low" enemy flag carrier is here. I need some back up and so on. You knew where you were needed. If they went high you know where their running too. Midfileders defenders even attackers suicide and get in position. Currently you have no idea where team mates are. They cant call for cover cos there is no inducation of their position. That arrow doesnt tell me anything. No one covers you no one defends ctf now is deathmatch and on the side cap a flag. No one is playing it properly. And when you do get a good game. Next map its unbalanced again. I see players defend a emply base.... thats when i said ok ill stop playing ctf for now until prople get a clue how to play it.
                As for the rocket launcher ut99 was also perfect.

Everyone says quake is perfect. How did the game and weapons change since 1996... ut99 WAS THE BEST then epic changed it. Were all hoping they learned from their mistakes this time... time will tell
                Join the community Facebook page
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Well that was not supposed to be another thread 99vsUT3vsUT2k.
                  My point was CTF, TL and how to destroy defenders with loaded Rockets.

I really wonder where CTF nw veteran players are...
                  Cunni, 37 years old, 16 years of UT, 90% CTF, 10% Duel
                  https://www.twitch.tv/cunni_ut
                  http://plays.tv/u/Cunni
                  Discord PUG Community

Comment

UT4 isn't going to replicate UT99.
                    That said, how hard would it be to make a custom gametype that does?

Comment

Originally posted by Cunni View Post
                      I really wonder where CTF nw veteran players are...
                      People that like UT are playing UT and will never move to UT4. And the people that liked later games hate the TL and lots of other stuff in UT4 CTF right now so there is no reason to play.

We have been able to organize a full CTF server on the BU hub on the weekend but that's most of the CTF activity right now.
                      BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

That's not even true. I started in 2k4 CTF and still think the original UT CTF is better. I think there is just a subset of people in both games that don't like the translocator and an even smaller subset that actually prefers the 2k4 translocator (I seriously doubt anyone prefers the UT3 trans, because it was a terrible compromise between the two). If they made the translocator more like it was in the original UT, I think it would be progress towards better CTF gameplay.

Comment

I don't really agree but there is no way to know for sure. What we do know is that in 2k4 they added a UT trajectory to the TL that nobody used because it sucked and put you at a disadvantage and that the group of people who played CTF in UT for 15 years never moved to another UT and are extremely unlikely to move to UT4 unless it is UT HD. There is no real use catering to the UT crowd unless they are going to go that far.

Comment

Here's what I'd prefer:

remove translocator as a "weapon."

Assign a dedicated key for translocator in options; say: ALT.

Press ALT to throw a beacon
                            Press ALT again to teleport to beacon
                            Press and hold ALT to recall beacon if needed (rarely used).

Add very minor "freeze time" (can't fire) throwing (and/or teleporting) if needed. In other words, it is like a melee attack of so many other games where you can do it without switching weapons back and forth.

Also without freeze time, we will see "skill shots" such as juggle someone and tele under them to finish them off.

I think this will make the CTF games a lot more interesting.
                            Last edited by CvP; 04-03-2015, 10:34 AM.
                            Steam: cvp_bg | UT: CvP

Comment

Maybe, right now they moved it to being an inventory item which I'm not sure about.

I compared the trajectory and stuff to the previous games. I'll probably make a video about it later tonight. The travel distance of a disk shot from dead center is pretty much the same between UT and UT3. The main difference is that the UT3 disk carries momentum while the UT disk does not. In most other ways they act pretty similarly.

I think the disk without any momentum goes about one dodge length forward in all of the previous games, except 2kX where it seems to go about one dodge jump which is in line with the kind of scale I've found with other things in those games. Also, in 2k4 they added a clientside option for "high beacon trajectory" which is about the most overpowered mechanic I've ever seen. The high beacon trajectory causes the disk to absolutely sail through the air pretty rapidly. For example on Pistola I was able to TL from just inside the door past the minigun up to the upper Ltg ledge aiming straight forward. The disk goes that high and that far. Yikes!

After trying them all I think something a bit more between the UT and UT3 disks would be preferable. The biggest difference between how they travel is that the arc of the UT disk is higher while the arc of the UT3 disk is pretty much flat and straight. They both move MUCH faster than the current UT4 trans and they also feel much lighter than the current UT4 trans. IMO if you make the current trans disk move faster, have a slightly lower trajectory, make the disk lighter when you throw it and gradually get heavier, and add a way to scale how much momentum it can receive, then it will be just about perfect.

raxxy and I tried to tinker with the values on the BP but we couldn't get it just right. The problem we found was that making the disk lighter had an exponential effect on how far you could throw it. At Gravity Scale 0.7 you can pretty much throw it from one base to the other in Outside which is seriously not good. We couldn't figure out a good way to change the gravity scale over time and the momentum didn't make any difference that we could tell. Does anyone know how the trajectory and such of the TL are calculated?
                              Last edited by Sir_Brizz; 04-03-2015, 12:10 PM.

Comment

For trajectory, I think it is important to have it like UT2k4 where you don't have to fire a LOT of times to get somewhere faster. However, it should have less charges than UT2k4. It needs to be such an amount that people have to mix and match instead of always in telemonkey mode.

Also, longer trajectory + less charge = people moving fast but not warping too frequently to make most weapons useless.

PS: I also think the charge count should be dictated by the map designer rather than a FIXED value by Epic. Some CTF maps will require 7; some maps will be totally useless with anything more than 4.
                                Steam: cvp_bg | UT: CvP

Comment

Working...
                                X