Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by TourianTourist View Post
    Well, Epic already experimented with having unique characters in Unreal Championship 2. The characters there haven't been as diverse as in Overwatch, but every character had his own melee weapon and adrenaline combos. Unreal II XMP also had three different classes... so, in a way, this wouldn't be a new thing for Unreal.

But I don't see, how this would work as a gametype. This is really about, how the shooter is going to be played in general, and obviously the new UT is not going in a class based direction. Doing something like in Overwatch would lead to a very different Unreal game, which wouldn't be UT anymore. And essentially in UT every weapon provides a class on its own. If you want to be the "Widowmaker", you just pick up the Sniper Rifle and use it. But you're not restricted to this one playstyle, you can switch to another weapon at any time. And that's the beauty of it.

However, I can also understand the appeal in these class / character systems, because it's fun finding the right character for yourself and having limited combat options makes the game appear "simpler". Now we could have mutators to provide a more "class based" approach. Maybe a mutator, where you have to pick two weapons (like in UC2) and you can only find generic ammunition packs in the arena. I could see this working in UT, at least for some gametypes. Or maybe bring the mutator back, where different teams/races (e.g. Nakhti, Necris, Juggernaut...) have different abilities.
    yea that was one thing that I wondered, that maybe it would change some of the fundamentals of ut around too much for this to work in the game? I do think it's a really interesting spin off idea though and yea I see potential with ut characters and the history with unreal championship. I like how this sort of game makes players more attached to a specific hero to play as and I think it also helps expand the depth of a character in the game a little.

I did try and figure out how this would work as a gametype and my first thoughts were to create custom characters that worked specifically for this game mode. but then that's sort of limiting the player. for example (if she makes it into the game), players might want to use Lauren, and how would Lauren work in such a scenario? maybe a good all rounder?

yea I had been wondering that maybe different races could have some different abilities, like the necris have improved stats for cetain things, but not as good in other areas. but again this would be getting into class structures for the characters. the wider issue there is that if these stats carry over into other gamemodes then there would be balancing issues to work out and i'm thinking its not best to over-complicate the game too much for a twitch based shooter. what would be proposed here might carry over into the rest of the game and like you say it isn't set out as a class based game. so perhaps these class based attributes are only applicable when in this game mode? and are reset when playing other game modes so that players are on an even keel when playing for example regular deathmatch.

perhaps like you mention some type of mutator could bring in this gameplay style? or

Originally posted by neai View Post
    Next Unreal Championship perhaps. It sounds like fun.
    thats a pretty good idea actually. if this type of fps is successful then it might make sense to try doing this with unreal championship. it does seem like a bit more of a simpler way to go with the idea without potentially compromising the main gameplay of ut.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well, Epic already experimented with having unique characters in Unreal Championship 2. The characters there haven't been as diverse as in Overwatch, but every character had his own melee weapon and adrenaline combos. Unreal II XMP also had three different classes... so, in a way, this wouldn't be a new thing for Unreal.

But I don't see, how this would work as a gametype. This is really about, how the shooter is going to be played in general, and obviously the new UT is not going in a class based direction. Doing something like in Overwatch would lead to a very different Unreal game, which wouldn't be UT anymore. And essentially in UT every weapon provides a class on its own. If you want to be the "Widowmaker", you just pick up the Sniper Rifle and use it. But you're not restricted to this one playstyle, you can switch to another weapon at any time. And that's the beauty of it.

However, I can also understand the appeal in these class / character systems, because it's fun finding the right character for yourself and having limited combat options makes the game appear "simpler". Now we could have mutators to provide a more "class based" approach. Maybe a mutator, where you have to pick two weapons (like in UC2) and you can only find generic ammunition packs in the arena. I could see this working in UT, at least for some gametypes. Or maybe bring the mutator back, where different teams/races (e.g. Nakhti, Necris, Juggernaut...) have different abilities.
    Last edited by TourianTourist; 03-27-2015, 06:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Next Unreal Championship perhaps. It sounds like fun.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic overwatch style game mode?

overwatch style game mode?

I was watching the footage from this new fps game from blizzard and thought to myself how this looks like a really interesting step forward in fps games. its adding an element of class based shooters (team fortress) but with ideas from mobas where each hero character is unique. I thought to myself wouldn't it be amazing if this really takes off and more fps games have this tactical mode incorporated into them? just thinking with the variety in the characters from the ut universe would anyone think a game mode like this would be really cool?
Working...
X