Domination - Seeking Map Authors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Domination - Seeking Map Authors

I am recreating the original UT99 version of Domination game mode completely in C++ as a plugin for UT (Methods, events, and properties are exposed to BluePrints for level designers, but the game itself is completely done in native C++ code). Currently it is a working game mode, still in early development. It will have 4 team support (partially working so far). For a current screen shot of the games progress, see pictures below.

I am looking for map authors who would like to make some maps using this game type.

For anyone interested, PM me. (Just to let you know, I probably will not be able to reply to any messages until Monday for I have to go out of town for work)

Attached Files
    Author: Domination Game Mode (Native UT4 Plug-in)
    Get the Install on ModDB.com
    Source Code available on GitHub

Heads up there is a working gametype already running on hubs (online) on existing maps (any modhub has it, just connect again after the disconnect - there's a redirect bug right now.)

https://ut.rushbase.net/TimEh/Dom/Domination-4.zip

Data is there.

Comment

Maybe you could make it into something similar to control point from TF2? To me it's even better and you could possibly use some of the CTF maps?

Comment

Originally posted by raxxy View Post
        Heads up there is a working gametype already running on hubs (online) on existing maps (any modhub has it, just connect again after the disconnect - there's a redirect bug right now.)

https://ut.rushbase.net/TimEh/Dom/Domination-4.zip

Data is there.
        I am aware of this. There is a few things that my project is different, is that my project is created using C++ while TimEh's Dom is done using bluePrints. Also how the game works, his you have to hold a control point like in CoD, while my game is exactly the same as the Domination in UT99, just touch it to capture it.

Comment

As both are ports/re-creations from official content (using the same name etc.), why not corporate and create a game type with would feature anything all previous versions had and feature such mechanics TimEh's gametype had?
          ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
          ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

The reason TimEh's is done in blueprints is due to it currently being impossible to distribute C++ plugins. Anyone who wanted to play your mod would have to manually download it. Also, TimEh's mod can/does behave exactly like the ut99 DOM (minus the scoring for now, which will likely change once it is possible.

Comment

I hate to be a heartbreaker, but cafe's right . Chumbo has a video of TimEh's DOM playing exactly like UT99's (can't dig it up atm). See Youtube.

I do like what you're doing here though and would hate to see your hard work go in vein. Maybe think about changing the ruleset? Or adding another level of complexity? Something to differentiate it from what's already out there.

If your hearts really set on this though, I'd be willing to help you with maps once players can automatically download plugins. It's very hard to get any traction right now because of this.

I really like mewfin's suggestion:

Originally posted by mewfin View Post
              Maybe you could make it into something similar to control point from TF2? To me it's even better and you could possibly use some of the CTF maps?
              If no one's willing to take this on, maybe I'll take a shot at it. I've been slowly coming up to speed with blueprints, so with any luck, I might be able to get a working prototype.

Comment

Ideally, I am hoping that I can get it completed and then I plan on submitting a pull request on Github. So that it has a chance to make it to the game itself. If that happens, it would be just like how CTF is part of the game. No download needed, it would then be built into the game itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake.Pliskin View Post
                  Ideally, I am hoping that I can get it completed and then I plan on submitting a pull request on Github. So that it has a chance to make it to the game itself. If that happens, it would be just like how CTF is part of the game. No download needed, it would then be built into the game itself.
                  I'm all in favor of Domination in the core game. I think the situation with 'main branch' and 'mod branch' UT is pretty uncertain for all of us on this side of the fence right now though, which is why the Blueprint approach is probably the more realistic approach to take if you want to see anything happening with what you're doing in the near future.
                  Last edited by Wail; 04-11-2015, 10:03 PM.
                  Find My: Twitter | YouTube | Downloads | Podcast
                  Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol
                  Other: Lore | Invasion | Pickups & Powerups | Achievement Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by cafe View Post
                    The reason TimEh's is done in blueprints is due to it currently being impossible to distribute C++ plugins. Anyone who wanted to play your mod would have to manually download it. Also, TimEh's mod can/does behave exactly like the ut99 DOM (minus the scoring for now, which will likely change once it is possible.
                    Have you played the original Unreal Tournament (back in 1999)? It is completely different game. Its not like Call of Duty. Watch this is video of a UT DOM clan match and see just how much quicker paced the original DOM is. And what is wrong with having to download a mod? It is what everyone had to do in all 4 of the prior UT games. Hold on a second actually, no I believe you are wrong. When you cook a map, ALL of the custom content, INCLUDING script files are COOKED INTO the map. So when you connect to a server running that map, it sends you everything you need to play it. The biggest problem with cooking maps, is that, the map is locked into that version of the content and game it was cooked to. And believe me, versioning is much more of a issue then having to download a single map

UT99 DOM
                    https://youtu.be/oMxcHz_S2f0
                    Last edited by Snake.Pliskin; 04-12-2015, 06:27 AM. Reason: Added youtube link

Comment

Rock on, Snake! I suppose I could work on a DOM map or two at some point. As the current Editor stands, what would be required to produce a working DOM map? What actors do you place to create/name a control point? What gametype setting would you set for the map?
                      UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

Originally posted by Snake.Pliskin View Post
                        Have you played the original Unreal Tournament (back in 1999)? It is completely different game. Its not like Call of Duty. Watch this is video of a UT DOM clan match and see just how much quicker paced the original DOM is. And what is wrong with having to download a mod? It is what everyone had to do in all 4 of the prior UT games. Hold on a second actually, no I believe you are wrong. When you cook a map, ALL of the custom content, INCLUDING script files are COOKED INTO the map. So when you connect to a server running that map, it sends you everything you need to play it. The biggest problem with cooking maps, is that, the map is locked into that version of the content and game it was cooked to. And believe me, versioning is much more of a issue then having to download a single map

UT99 DOM
                        https://youtu.be/oMxcHz_S2f0
                        Yeah, I've played it. I think you should do what you want. If you want to make an alternative version, I encourage you to do so. I guess my argument was more that nobody is going to be able to play it until they accept your pull request, which will make it hard to test and iterate on.

FWIW, I've played lots of DOM in UT99 and I still think TimEh's mod is pretty fun. I have never played COD so I don't know what that is like at all. You can try DOM right now on the modhub servers and see that it is at least very similar. The biggest difference is that you have no translocator. Instead you just start with all of the weapons. Which I think is better than having to constantly pick up weapons in a super fast gametype like DOM.

Comment

Originally posted by WHIPperSNAPper View Post
                          Rock on, Snake! I suppose I could work on a DOM map or two at some point. As the current Editor stands, what would be required to produce a working DOM map? What actors do you place to create/name a control point? What gametype setting would you set for the map?
                          Just copy the files into the UT/Plugins folder, open the editor and

1) drag a Domination Objective into the map
                          2) Set the Points Name

3) in World Settings -> change the game mode to UTDomGameMode

and that's it. Nice, easy and clean.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Wow, very impressive . I'd love to see this make it to the core game. Nice work Snake!

Comment

Out of curiosity, does a DOM map have to have three control points? Could a level designer have more, or less control points? Is there a game balancing philosophy behind it, where three is just the most fun?

Comment

Working...
                              X