No announcement yet.

FreezeTag [BluePrint]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, all the GameMode needs is to get loaded in the game through the help of some package. That package can even contain just the GameMode, it's not even necessary to cook it with a map; it's just easier/simpler to do so.

A hotfix is in the works, for the issues that have been encountered. After I'm done with the testing, and all goes well, expect a v0.5.1.
    > FreezeTag [Blueprint]
    > Reimagining of Greed [BluePrint]
    > Avarice, a DM-variant of Greed [BluePrint]

Comment

Hotfix 0.5.1 Changelog:
      • Temporarily patched around the issue where players were not being able to reset properly at the end of a round, due to the broken custom controller support that this build has. (This affects server/hubs and not local play)
      • Fixed an issue where the first round of the game would kick in before the match had actually started, resulting in players spawning frozen in the 0,0,0 coordinates of the map.
      • Players can no longer take damage or thaw at the end of a round.
      • Players will now properly have their stored weapons and spawn location reset at the end of the round.
      • Players will no longer sometimes appear half-way inside the ground when frozen or thawed.
      • Modified the collision properties of frozen player pawns, so projectiles like flak shards will be properly absorbed and no longer bounce back to the face of the aggressor.

WARNING: The current build cannot transmit (from servers/hubs to clients) blueprints which utilize a custom controller.
      Until Epic fixes this, the only way to host this GameMode on a server/hub, right now, is to edit the GameMode blueprint and replace "FreezeTagController" with "UTPlayerController" as the default Player Controller Class.
      Unfortunatelly, this means that you will be forced to play without a Spectator System (since that's the only thing the custom player controller is used for), but I reckon this is still better than nothing.
      UPDATE: Vlad found a workaround to the issue, we managed to bring back the spectator system through some not so-pretty-workarounds. (those versions will not be available publicly)

@BloodK1nG: The in-game issues you faced, should be gone now.

ANNOUNCEMENT: You can now play FreezeTag in raxxy's modhubs! Thanks raxxy!
      Last edited by FrostbyteGR; 06-15-2015, 05:33 PM.
      > FreezeTag [Blueprint]

Comment

I think this gametype would be better if the players could collect stuff. For example +10 health, +10 shield some ammo... As for all starting weapon: I don't really agree with this, because players spawn with potentially fatal weapons (rocket launcher). Imho either limit the ammo or just simply reintroduce the collect the weapons gamestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by [P]etya View Post
          I think this gametype would be better if the players could collect stuff. For example +10 health, +10 shield some ammo... As for all starting weapon: I don't really agree with this, because players spawn with potentially fatal weapons (rocket launcher). Imho either limit the ammo or just simply reintroduce the collect the weapons gamestyle.
          You are able to customize that aspect of the game by modifying the GameMode blueprint (I have listed all of the available variables and what they do). When we get the feature, those variables will be able to get read from an *.ini file, so the GameMode can be configured/customized without the need to cook a different blueprint (and therefore have the same file available across every server).
          It's up to you how you want to play the game really, since I wanted to give options. About the all-weapons arena mode, however, please keep in mind that you also get 199 health and 100 armor; which eliminate the possibilities of one-hit (or even two-hit) KOs.

0.6 Version Progress:
          - Was able to fix the visual progress of thawing. Players will now see the ice veil fading out more and more, the closer the frozen players are to thawing.
          - The variable which is responsible for tracking the remaining thaw time, has been moved to the playerstate, so it no longer resets if people manage to destroy the frozen player's pawn. (i.e. knocking them out of the map)
          - Possible fix for GoalScore triggering.
          - The upcoming HUD features will include a percentage (replaces the health/armor reading), which will indicate how close to thawing, you or your teammates are. (100% being completelly frozen, 0% being completelly thawed)

Unfortunatelly the release will be delayed, because I've hit a snag with the HUD, which brings the performance of the game down to it's knees.
          We've been investigating this with Vlad all afternood, but we haven't found the cause of the problem. I'm still activelly looking.
          > FreezeTag [Blueprint]

Comment

Can anyone give the steps to get into a freeze tag match?

Comment

I will have to release a new version for the new build.
              I have solved almost all of the issues, but Epic apparently made a change which renders the GameMode unplayable.
              Until I can resolve this, I cannot send an updated blueprint to raxxy, so he can put it in his modhubs again.
              > FreezeTag [Blueprint]

Comment

Can we set up our own Freezetag servers once this is done and set the game rules( such as weapons allowed, starting health, etc etc )? Oh and thank you for your work on this....Freeze Tag is the only thing i play UT for ...i love the game and cant wait for its epic return.

Comment

New Version 0.6 Changelog:
                  • Added a HUD Overlay which includes a round timer and a player status overlay. (Credits to Vlad for the original code)
                  • Implemented algorythm for dynamic coloration of the players. The PoV we're spectating from is marked as green, waiting players are not colored at all, all the others receive their team color.
                  • Implemented frozen percentage in the player status field (replaces health/armor readings) when the player is frozen. Included limited information about enemies (frozen/waiting statuses), and full information on health and freezing percentages when the end of round has been reached.
                  • Added support for bot information in the player overlay.
                  • Improved player overlay performance (in fps) roughly by 10% and eliminated possible stuttering caused by the constant clearing and redrawing. Players are now entered dynamically to the overlay, the moment they join the game; and dynamically removed, at the moment they leave the game. The algorythm also supports teamswitching, so players who switch teams are moved accordingly.
                  • Fixed the ghost actors in Arena mode, now every pickup actor is properly destroyed after initialization.
                  • Arena mode is now 100% functional. Self-damage and fall-damage will no longer damage the armor. (Credits to Vlad for explaining the modifydamagetaken override)
                  • First-pass support for instagib, by enforcing the spectator system to replace the Fire/AltFire actions when players are frozen. Now it shouldn't matter if we can't remove the instagib rifle from the inventory, since it can no longer be fired when frozen. (Credits to Vlad for providing part of the code)
                  • The remaining amount of time it takes to thaw, has been moved to the PlayerState. Frozen players will no longer have their thaw timer reset, if they get pushed over the void. (or manage to get killed otherwise)
                  • Players who switch teams while a round is in progress, will now be forced to wait until next round, to play again.
                  • Fixed the GoalScore triggering by causing an overtime event the moment the GoalScore has been met. Game will now instantly end, once a team reaches the GoalScore.
                  • Rocket Launchers can no longer lock-on to frozen players.
                  • Fixed a rare occasion for players, and not so rare for bots, where they would manage to respawn before their frozen flag was set, causing them to have a frozen state and an alive player pawn. A correction algorythm was put in place to combat this.
                  • The player eligibility algorythm was simplified and made more responsive.
                  • Optimized the player reset algorythm which gets called at the end of the round.
                  • Visuals on thaw progress have been fixed. The ice material will now properly tone down, the closer the player is to thawing.
                  • Frozen players will no longer have their own pain stingers occur when their bodies are shot. While spectating, only the PoV's pain stingers will be displayed. (Credits to Vlad for explaining the modifydamagetaken override)
                  • Fixed announcers using the GameState actor, so we can avoid echo/amplification effects when alot of players are clustered. (Credits to Vlad, since it was his idea)
                  • Further code cleanup, tidying and commenting.

Issues introduced in 0.6 Version:
                  • Due to the recent changes in PhysicsActor (which was my go-to method for ignoring pickups) behavior, I was forced to use other workarounds to disable the pickups for the frozen characters. Unfortunatelly there are some side effects like frozen players falling through elevators and not being able to move through weapon bases (I am not sure if they can be launched with jumppads, haven't tested). This is a temporal hack to get the GameMode going, and is subject to change when the situation with the bCanPickupItems flag gets resolved.

Issues still present from the previous versions:
                  • Performing a suicide with the Impact Hammer will cause the default inventory (Enforcer and Impact Hammer) to vanish, it is uncertain to why this happens (since players who get killed while they have the Impact Hammer, as their selected weapon, get their weapons saved normally).
                  • Players who shoot frozen enemies outside of the map, are normally getting kill credit and progression towards killing-sprees. Victims also get their death-count increased, even though they are frozen. This happens because there is no way to detect when a player is about to get killed via the map's killz, so we could intervene by using our custom functions.
                  • Players who fall into the void cannot have their weapons stored. This happens because there is no way to detect when a player is about to get killed via the map's killz, so we can call the weapon saving function.
                  • If a player gets thawed during overtime, there is a (frequent) possibility that their periodic damage might have a time offset to that of the other players.
                  • Even though players cannot fire their weapons during the 3-second startup period of each round, the weapon firing animations and sounds are playing normally (no ammo is consumed and no damage is being dealt, however, so it's purelly visual). This was not happening in the previous versions of the editor, so I am not sure what changed.
                  • Even though frozen players have their movement, animations and rotation disabled, they are still able to pitch their head up and down. I have not found a way to disable this, but this is purelly visual as well.
                  • If a player gets frozen, with dual enforcers in their inventory, only one enforcer will be stored away. This happens because dual enforcers and single enforcer share the same weapon class, and there is no way to differentiate between the two (or I haven't found one yet), at the moment.
                  • The only way to change the configuration/customization variables is to change their values from the editor, and recook the GameMode. Usage of *.ini files is not functional yet, waiting on Epic for this.

Please report any errors, crashes and detailed descriptions as to what you were doing when they occured. Thank you!
                  Last edited by FrostbyteGR; 07-31-2015, 11:37 AM.
                  > FreezeTag [Blueprint]

Comment

Hotfix 0.6.1 Changelog:
                    • Dynamic configuration of the GameMode can now be achieved through the launch options string. More information is available in the first post.

UPDATE: First post updated with detailed information.
                    Last edited by FrostbyteGR; 07-13-2015, 11:58 AM.
                    > FreezeTag [Blueprint]

Comment

Huge release, major kudos to RZE and Mysterial!

v0.7 Changelog:
                      • GameMode now properly supports maps that utilize KillZ/Void mechanics. (Credits to Mysterial & RZE) As a consequence:
                        • Players who fall or get pushed out of the world, while the round is in-progress, now have their weapons properly stored and they are assigned to a random spawnpoint so they can spawn in a frozen state. If this happens during the start or the end of the round, they are simply teleported to a random spawnpoint.
                        • Frozen players who get pushed out of the world by an enemy player will no longer have their death-count increased, grant any kill credit, or killing spree progression to their killer. Instead, they get teleported to a random spawnpoint.
                      • Players will no longer be able to feign death, regardless of their state. (Credits to Mysterial & RZE) This is done for two reasons:
                        • There is no point feigning death in a GameMode where the death state is being represented by freezing. It just makes you an obvious target.
                        • Getting killed or thawed while in a feign death state, would bring the player's capsule coordinates to a value which would cause them to end up inside the level's ground geometry.
                      • Reworked the Overtime Damage algorythm. The periodic damage is now being handled by the GameMode blueprint and it's processed before team scoring (so that we don't have code racing phenomenae which would award teamscore where there should've been a round draw). As a result, the damage is now being dealt in an absolute synchronization manner; no longer allowing players who thawed during overtime, having a time offset in their periodic damage frequency, to that of the other players.
                      • Improved the weapon locking algorythm, so players will no longer have weapon firing sounds and animations, for the duration of the 3-second startup period of each round, where their weapons are locked.
                      • In addition to that, ineligible players are once again able to make usage of the built-in spectating system.
                      • The Ice Veil enclosure effect of the frozen players has been completely reworked. It now utilizes the Character Overlay, instead of it's own Mesh, as it's target (Credits to Mysterial & RZE). This essentially means that it's now compatible with any in-game player models, and it can no longer cause any graphical misplacements stemming from having two different meshes with a different animation keyframe.
                      • Made some changes to the animation halting code. Frozen players now have their animations correctly and completely halted, they will no longer be able to pitch their head up and down.
                      • Lot's of code cleanup which was made possible from the changes Mysterial provided.
                      • Some minor code organization into separate functions, for compactness sake.

Issues introduced in v0.7:

• Performing a suicide with the Impact Hammer will cause the default inventory (Enforcer and Impact Hammer) to vanish, it is uncertain to why this happens (since players who get killed while they have the Impact Hammer, as their selected weapon, get their weapons saved normally).
                      • If a player gets frozen, with dual enforcers in their inventory, only one enforcer will be stored away. This happens because dual enforcers and single enforcer share the same weapon class, and there is no way to differentiate between the two (or I haven't found one yet), at the moment.
                      • Due to the recent changes in PhysicsActor (which was my go-to method for ignoring pickups) behavior, I was forced to use other workarounds to disable the pickups for the frozen characters. Unfortunatelly there are some side effects like frozen players falling through elevators and not being able to move through weapon bases (I am not sure if they can be launched with jumppads, haven't tested). This is a temporal hack to get the GameMode going, and is subject to change when the situation with the bCanPickupItems flag gets resolved.
                      > FreezeTag [Blueprint]

Comment

Hi
                        In the new Version the Armor is without function and counts not down from 150.
                        In the last round of a match i thaw a teammate and we killed all enemy, the round did stop. When my teammate killed himself after all enemys are dead the round was over.
                        The weapon locking is no more working. You can damage enemy before round start.

Comment

Originally posted by [PHX]Big_Deal View Post
                          Hi
                          In the new Version the Armor is without function and counts not down from 150.
                          In the last round of a match i thaw a teammate and we killed all enemy, the round did stop. When my teammate killed himself after all enemys are dead the round was over.
                          The weapon locking is no more working. You can damage enemy before round start.
                          The first two things are indeed issues. (although they did not exist in the previous build, something may have changed)
                          The third issue that you mention, is not actually a bug, since you told me that you played this with bots. Weapon locking is being handled by taking away the player's StartFire and StartAltFire inputs, bots use the AIController blueprint instead of the PlayerController one, something which I have no control over unfortunatelly.

Playing this GameMode with bots will yield undesirable results, because at this point of time, I cannot control their behavior through blueprints at all.

EDIT: The armor is not draining at all even in Normal Mode, it's not at all relevant to the Arena Mode. This looks like a bug that's coming from the build. I'm not sure what's happening.
                          EDIT2: It also seems that in Arena Mode the player's health is not being set to 199, this is a simple set node.. wtf has Epic done with this build?
                          EDIT3: I cannot replicate issue #2, the game is ending normally for me.
                          Last edited by FrostbyteGR; 08-01-2015, 06:23 AM.
                          > FreezeTag [Blueprint]

Comment

The good news is that with the latest build, bCanPickupItems now works as intended.
                            The bad news is that the situation with the armor, the scoring and the impact hammer inventory bug, remain unresolved.

3 bugs to solve until v1.0 can be reached.
                            I will be providing a version for this build shortly, but first I need to investigate what I can do about the armor and scoring situation - if it's possible to do anything at all.

Stay tuned for v0.8!
                            > FreezeTag [Blueprint]

Comment

New Version v0.8 Changelog:
                              • The crashes that were introduced in the 07/29/2015 build have been resolved. Consequently, the default value of IsArena has been set to false again. Instructions on how to switch between modes are on the first post.
                              • Actually fixed ineligible players not being able to spectate. Previous fix was incomplete.
                              • The inventory algorythm is now aware of dual enforcers. It will properly detect if a player has them at their moment of freezing, and restore them upon thawing. (Credits to Steven Polge)
                              • Repositioned the player overlay lower and reduced the height of the enemy information boxes slightly. Will work with up to 10 players, without obscuring the kill feed or the chat log.

• The 07/29/2015 build introduced issues with the armor system. The armor does not drain or mitigate any damage. (Kudos to [PHX]Big_Deal for reporting the issue)
                              • The winning/scoring conditions are innacurate. This is due to the code of UTTeamGameMode (the parented class of FreezeTag), which declares the team that has the most frags as the winner. Even if a team is ahead in round score, if the opponent team has a bigger sum of frags across it's members, they will be declared the winner instead. This also influences the conditions of overtime triggering; meaning that overtime might not happen when it's supposed to, or that it may happen when it's not supposed to.

Issues introduced in 0.8 Version:
                              • None. (Please report if you find anything that I might have missed)

The installation instructions (first post) for HUB Servers have been updated.
                              Last edited by FrostbyteGR; 09-10-2015, 12:33 PM.
                              > FreezeTag [Blueprint]

Comment

Hotfix 0.8.1 Changelog:
                                • Added GameMode badge texture to be used by the HUB UI. (Credits to frez)

Issues introduced in 0.8.1 Version:
                                • The GameMode badge will not appear in the HUB UI, unless you have the package already downloaded. This happens because the configuration references a texture in a package that hasn't been downloaded yet. This fixes itself if you have played the GameMode at least once, so that the FreezeTag package resides in your DownloadedPaks folder. A possible solution to the matter could be having the server streaming the GameMode badges to the players at the moment they join the HUB, instead of having them read that information from a package that hasn't been transmitted yet.

Updated the installation instructions (first post) for HUB Servers, to reflect the new configuration.

EDIT: Added "Reporting Issues" and "FAQ" sections to the main post.
                                EDIT2: I just noticed that the colors of the badge are backwards, will be updated in the next release.
                                Last edited by FrostbyteGR; 09-11-2015, 08:10 PM.
                                > FreezeTag [Blueprint]

Comment

Working...
                                X