No announcement yet.

FreezeTag [BluePrint]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a quick heads-up for server owners, FreezeTag is working with the 9/16/2015 build. The documented bugs still exist, but once I get ahold of RZE, the blueprints will be given over for debugging.
    > FreezeTag [Blueprint]
    > Reimagining of Greed [BluePrint]
    > Avarice, a DM-variant of Greed [BluePrint]

Comment

I noticed in some posted changelog that you have introduced a visual effect that shows how close a player is to thawing. Can enemy players see that? Its a bad idea. If an enemy knows you are about to thaw, they will camp you and preload some goo/rockets.

Passing a frozen enemy should carry the danger that they may just thaw as you pass them.

Being frozen (and about to thaw) is also quite a tense experience if one or two enemy are milling around you...will they disappear so you can thaw safely? Will you need to be ready to jump them?

Comment

Originally posted by [FnG]Bawsy View Post
        I noticed in some posted changelog that you have introduced a visual effect that shows how close a player is to thawing. Can enemy players see that? Its a bad idea. If an enemy knows you are about to thaw, they will camp you and preload some goo/rockets.

Passing a frozen enemy should carry the danger that they may just thaw as you pass them.

Being frozen (and about to thaw) is also quite a tense experience if one or two enemy are milling around you...will they disappear so you can thaw safely? Will you need to be ready to jump them?
        Friendlies are able to see the percentage and the visual progress, while enemies are only able to see the visual progress (and the remainder of the percentage, only if the round has ended). My aim with this, is that the team should know the precise amount of how frozen their teammates are, and strategize accordingly - while enemies will have to rely on their observation skills and approximation. Trust me, it can easilly backfire, the danger is always there because the color transition is too subtle.

If people camp, that's something that can happen regardless of the effect, if they tryhard this they can easilly time 50 seconds off the clock (default value). But camping can result in loss of map control, in normal mode, or give a chance to the other team to regroup or focus on other frozen teammates. There's always a tradeoff.
        Last edited by FrostbyteGR; 09-23-2015, 12:00 PM.
        > FreezeTag [Blueprint]

Comment

Really great to see how far along you have brought this game mode Frosty

If you are interested, I have the carcass touch sounds that you could use when you touch a frozen team mate to thaw them. It's a nice audible cue that lets your player know that something is going to happen

Thanks for your work on this.

It is possible to frag a frozen team mate with your translocator to bring them back into the game like some passed versions?
          My UT2004 Maps

Comment

Originally posted by FrostbyteGR View Post
            Friendlies are able to see the percentage and the visual progress, while enemies are only able to see the visual progress (and the remainder of the percentage, only if the round has ended). My aim with this, is that the team should know the precise amount of how frozen their teammates are, and strategize accordingly - while enemies will have to rely on their observation skills and approximation. Trust me, it can easilly backfire, the danger is always there because the color transition is too subtle.

If people camp, that's something that can happen regardless of the effect, if they tryhard this they can easilly time 50 seconds off the clock (default value). But camping can result in loss of map control, in normal mode, or give a chance to the other team to regroup or focus on other frozen teammates. There's always a tradeoff.
            If this is attempting to be classic freezetag, then this doesn't matter, because in real competitive freezetag mods for Quake/Unreal etc, when you thaw, you don't just unfreeze, you explode into gibs and respawn, so you can't be thaw camped. In that regard, showing the thaw % to both teams is helpful for strategy.

If you just unfreeze in place, this mod will be dead on arrival.

Comment

Originally posted by Laokin View Post
              If this is attempting to be classic freezetag, then this doesn't matter, because in real competitive freezetag mods for Quake/Unreal etc, when you thaw, you don't just unfreeze, you explode into gibs and respawn, so you can't be thaw camped. In that regard, showing the thaw % to both teams is helpful for strategy.

If you just unfreeze in place, this mod will be dead on arrival.
              I do agree with Laokin on this. It would be great to let the server owner decide on in place thaw and spawn or thaw and respawn (classic FT)
              My UT2004 Maps

Comment

Read the first post guys:
                • RespawnThawedPlayers (Boolean, Default=False): Controls the respawn behavior of thawed players. "True" will make the players use the map's spawnpoints when they thaw, "False" makes the players resume playing from the exact spot they were thawed from.
                I am still adamant on having the enemies estimate the thawing progress through visuals, and the precise percentage being shown only to friendlies. You should never be able to camp/handle enemies without having the danger of them thawing on your face and killing you. If you decide to take the risk, then you'd better be observative.
                In Q3 FT you exploded and respawned after you thawed (set RespawnThawedPlayers to "True"), in UT2k4 freon you resumed play on the spot that you where thawed from (set RespawnThawedPlayers to "False").
                The server admins, and even yourself (if you play it locally), can configure many parameters in how the GameMode can be played. Please refer to the "Game Customization/Variable Explanations" section of the first post, for instructions.

Originally posted by Gleedo View Post
                Really great to see how far along you have brought this game mode Frosty

If you are interested, I have the carcass touch sounds that you could use when you touch a frozen team mate to thaw them. It's a nice audible cue that lets your player know that something is going to happen

Thanks for your work on this.

It is possible to frag a frozen team mate with your translocator to bring them back into the game like some passed versions?
                Thanks!
                Yeah, you can send me over any sounds you want me to put in and I will just integrate them into the thawing code. It'd be nice to have an audio cue indeed.

The GameMode is based on the UTTeamGameMode class (which doesn't include a translocator in the inventory by default) and I also haven't designated the default character inventory to include a translocator.
                The GameMode is also running DM maps by default (you can open any CTF map, if you want, but I don't see a reason why you'd ever do this though).
                So unless somebody manages to break the code, there's no chance you'd ever have a translocator in the first place.
                I have made it so the frozen players are completelly invulnerable to damage. If telefragging is considered a damage event, it's impossible to kill frozen players that way.
                The code will only unfreeze you if your thaw time reaches zero, so if you manage to kill frozen friendlies/enemies, they will just respawn frozen and the thaw timer will continue ticking from where it was left from.
                Last edited by FrostbyteGR; 09-30-2015, 01:05 PM.
                > FreezeTag [Blueprint]

Comment

New Version v0.9 Changelog:
                  • Fixed players receiving 100 health, instead of the super health max amount (199), when in Arena Mode.
                  • Fixed issues with the armor not draining or mitigating any damage. (Turns out that I was missing a call to a parent function. Credits to RattleSN4K3)
                  • Fixed default inventory vanishing, as a result of suiciding with the Impact Hammer. (Turns out that the Impact Hammer calls Event OnAnyDamage twice, changes were made to adapt to this knowledge. Credits to RattleSN4K3)

Issues still present from the previous versions:
                  • The winning/scoring conditions are innacurate. This is due to the code of UTTeamGameMode (the parented class of FreezeTag), which declares the team that has the most frags as the winner. Even if a team is ahead in round score, if the opponent team has a bigger sum of frags across it's members, they will be declared the winner instead. This also influences the conditions of overtime triggering; meaning that overtime might not happen when it's supposed to, or that it may happen when it's not supposed to.

Issues introduced in 0.9 Version:
                  • None. (Please report if you find anything that I might have missed)
                  > FreezeTag [Blueprint]

Comment

So... how does a Noob like myself install this?

I'm sure there's a guide somewhere, but couldn't find it.
                    Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks a million!

Comment

Originally posted by SailCat View Post
                      So... how does a Noob like myself install this?

I'm sure there's a guide somewhere, but couldn't find it.
                      Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks a million!
                      The first post should contain everything you need.
                      > FreezeTag [Blueprint]

Comment

Is there any public running for tests?

Comment

Originally posted by Loxotron View Post
                          Is there any public running for tests?
                          Yes, our HUB [PHX]PHOENIX GERMANY does have it. Just start a game Freezetag and have fun.

Comment

This need to be added to the final product so it gets maximum exposure

Comment

Could someone please put this on a US Hub?

Comment

Originally posted by cafe
                                Yeah, I'll see about getting it added to the UT4PUGs Chicago HUB.
                                Sweet Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X