Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Impulse (Bombing Run remake; Screenshots added: 10/20/2015)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This may be the thing that actually encourages me to to start learning UE4. I did some really minimalistic maps in UT3.. is the learning curve difficult? I'd like to contribute to BR if I can.

Also, I run a small hosting facility...so if I can set up a server, I'd do that as well if it would help.
    -=uff-Da=-

Concepts:
    BR - CutThroat | BR - Volleyminton |

Comment

Originally posted by UffDa View Post
      This may be the thing that actually encourages me to to start learning UE4. I did some really minimalistic maps in UT3.. is the learning curve difficult? I'd like to contribute to BR if I can.

Also, I run a small hosting facility...so if I can set up a server, I'd do that as well if it would help.
      Thank you for your interest! Any help is greatly appreciated, of course, but right now the only major problem is with the ball ignoring materials randomly. So far, none of the people I talked to have any idea why this happens and it seems unlikely to find a solution without contacting someone from the UT or Engine team directly. Apart from that, my plans are to implement some of the suggestions of user J, to whom I've been talking in the posts above. If you think you could take the blueprints from the download link and improve them in any way, by all means, do so Also, should you find yourself in need of information regarding the blueprints, feel free to PM or write on the UT Programming forum and I will reply (In case you might consider a question to be valuable for other as well).

As for the learning curve: I can only present it subjectively. It took me just under 3 weeks to create the first version of Last Team Standing (it was named Unreal Arena back then). This 3-week period I'm talking about extends from the first time I opened the Engine to the first upload of the blueprints. In all this time, I don't think I ever had to sacrifice my personal time (e.g. college, family, girlfriend etc) to learn the Engine. All in all, my opinion is that learning the program isn't hard, nor very time-consuming.

What I do recommend, however, is that you read all the documentation and watch all the tutorials which directly interest you without skipping any part. There are some golden eggs which you never realize how important they are until you re-read the same page or re-watch the same tutorial Apart from the official documentation/tutorials, there is a guy called TeslaDev on youtube who has some really cool tutorials about the Engine.

P.S.: Thank you for offering to host a server, but BR needs some more love and devotion until it reaches that point

Comment

Originally posted by Zocom7 View Post
        Say, Vlad. When are you going to update this Bombing Run game mode with a PAK file in it? Does the current prototype of BR only works in UT Editor and not UT4 ingame?
        Originally posted by vlad.serbanescu11 View Post
        When Epic (or someone else) helps me solve the ball issue.

EDIT: You can make a .pak yourself too since the blueprints are public.
        I want to try this, but it's not clear to me how to load BR. Is there a console command I can use?

I just installed the editor, but I don't know how to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by j View Post
          I want to try this, but it's not clear to me how to load BR. Is there a console command I can use?

I just installed the editor, but I don't know how to use it.
          There are 2 ways to test this:

1 - In the Editor - Open a CTF map of your choice and from the Blueprints button, under World Override, select "GameMode: => Select GameMode Class: BRGameMode" and hit Play.

2 - In the Game - Download the .pak file and place it under "EpicGames\UnrealTournamentDev\UnrealTournament\Content\Paks\". After that, inside the game, use the following console command: "open CTF-FaceClassic?game=/Game/BombingRun/BRGameMode.BRGameMode_C"

NOTE:
          At the moment, I am not able to make a .pak file. I don't really understand why, the process just freezes. I will investigate in the following days and hopefully provide a .pak as well, along with the blueprints.

Comment

There are 2 ways to test this:

1 - In the Editor - Open a CTF map of your choice and from the Blueprints button, under World Override, select "GameMode: => Select GameMode Class: BRGameMode" and hit Play.

2 - In the Game - Download the .pak file and place it under "EpicGames\UnrealTournamentDev\UnrealTournament\Content\Paks\". After that, inside the game, use the following console command: "open CTF-FaceClassic?game=/Game/BombingRun/BRGameMode.BRGameMode_C"

NOTE:
            At the moment, I am not able to make a .pak file. I don't really understand why, the process just freezes. I will investigate in the following days and hopefully provide a .pak as well, along with the blueprints.
            Where are the maps stored? Inside UnrealTournament-WindowsNoEditor.pak? Or do I need to pull them from git?

I think option 2 will be easier when you have a .pak .

Comment

I think it converts CTF maps into BR maps via a mutator. If you get on TS sometime, I could explain how to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by cafe View Post
                I think it converts CTF maps into BR maps via a mutator. If you get on TS sometime, I could explain how to use it.
                Indeed, it converts CTF maps (it's not a mutator, though; just a simple function; but making a mutator out of it is a good idea so.. thanks ). I'm sorry to say, but I still don't know what's causing my cooking process to freeze.

Comment

Originally posted by cafe View Post
                  Indeed, it converts CTF maps (it's not a mutator, though; just a simple function; but making a mutator out of it is a good idea so.. thanks ). I'm sorry to say, but I still don't know what's causing my cooking process to freeze.
                  Thanks! I'm away the next two weeks, but if the .pak still can't be cooked by then I'd like to try this.

Comment

Vlad, have you learned anything from this: http://www.moddb.com/mods/bombingrun

UT3 did have a Bombing Run prototype as a mod and comes with a UT2003 map remake (BR-Anubis). If you want to reuse the Anubis map into UT4, you could ask the author (don't know if he's gone).
                    Last edited by Zocom7; 06-19-2015, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zocom7 View Post
                      Vlad, have you learned anything from this: http://www.moddb.com/mods/bombingrun

UT3 did have a Bombing Run prototype as a mod and comes with a UT2003 map remake (BR-Anubis). If you want to reuse the Anubis map into UT4, you could ask the author (don't know if he's gone).
                      Thank you for the link! Indeed, a well written article. I know and experienced most of what it describes since I've played every UT since UT2003. Which part are you referring to, more exactly?

My goal isn't to remake/reuse the original BR maps, but rather to use the existing CTF ones. I'm not a big fan of putting work into one single, specific map.

I hope to make some progress on my own prototype of BR soon, taking in consideration some of the suggestions I've seen here, on the forum, but for the time being, my free time is pretty much filled with getting LastTeamStanding into a more advanced, playable phase.

Comment

I was wondering if you knew how Bombing Run was used in UT3 and apply more of the code from there to UT4. You also might need to implement the adrenaline and the hoverboard for faster access of the bigger maps.

The other thing is that if someone can convert that BR-Anubis map from UT3 into UT4 as a CTF map.

Comment

Just a quick bump to keep this thing alive....
                          Also if there's anything I can do to help such as test etc. count me in, I'm not very technical but I do want to see bombing run back <3
                          "Hey babe, are you set to godlike?"
                          "No, why."
                          "Cause your more attractive than a bot using the Link Gun's secondary"

Comment

Actually putting CTF maps in use regarding BR is a great idea.
                            I mean all the map will need is have some BR adjustments
                            Though the BR gametype came originally from a mod called Frag Ball in UT99, since there UT2kX had it as a standard gametype
                            Fun fact is that they used Impact hammers to launch the ball

Comment

Hello.
                              What about: Intercepting the flying ball in mid-air will give the catcher a little shield boost when carying the ball after the intercept.
                              In my opinion the carrier dies too easily with just 100 health, also the shield boost would be a pleasant reward for skillfull intercepting.
                              The greater distance the ball traveled, the more shield bonus the one who catches it will get.

It would also solve the problem of too much deathmatch in bombingrun. With people focusing too much on dm, spoiling the fun for the others which trying to play proper bombingrun.
                              Because of the shield boost, the carrier-defender will have more time to deal with the other team enemies and besides will get more time to form a attack-plan.
                              Just saying because, had to witness it again the other day. 1-2 people focusing crazy on dm only are enough to spoil the fun for others, which are dying way too much (when concentrating on br-stayle gameplay only).
                              More dm is maybe a good way of solving problems in ctf, which don't have the option of passing, but it's a nuisance in br.

Comment

Originally posted by chewyfood View Post
                                • Instagib - Instagib is a touchy subject for some people. Some love it, some hate it. As a diehard, I personally hated it, especially in UT99, and in any non-BR mods (ONS, Assault, etc.). But in BR, it worked extremelyyyyyy well. Since the focus of the mod is a single person carrying the ball, it gave inexperienced players the chance to actually have an effect on the game. Especially in maps with choke points (like Twin Tombs, or Bifrost, or Anubis), it became a back and forth push of the ball, a test of two teams' wills.

• Low Gravity - again, like Instagib, it was a touchy subject, but in BR, it worked extremelyyyyy well. It slowed down player movements (since they were floating), which allowed more inexperienced players (especially with instagib turned on) to have more of an effect on the game.

There were quite a few leagues ( and therefore a lot of dedicated servers ) for IG and LG/IG bombing run back in the 03-07 period. Very popular considering these were leagues dedicated to a mutator for one of the more obscure game types at the time.

IMO the mechanic that can't be lost is ball boosting ( launch ball, shoot ball with IG rifle to boost it across the map ) This made the game type more interesting because it introduced, dump and run, long pass, long shot, and goal tending the long shot as essential skills in competitive team play. ( depending on the map )

This type of game type really emphasized the difference between UT and the "realistic" combat type FPSs that were starting to take over the market at the time. Hyper-realistic insanely paced twitch game play. Especially on the sports field type of maps, game play was on ludicrous speed for those.

While an anecdotal observation at best, I think the IG/BR community held on to the game a lot longer than most because there was no other game that offered that fast paced twitch experience. I hope that's not lost.

Comment

Working...
                                X