Invasion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] Invasion

It's been on my to-do list for a long time, but I finally started taking a more serious look at developing Invasion over the past week or so. Current limitations of Blueprints make this unlikely to work there, so I ended up taking it into C++.

At the moment I have a working prototype of the main gameplay loop of Invasion, so I figured I'd show that off. Everything is extremely rough, but that's ok.

As you can see though, there's still a lot left to be done to even really call this complete. The main thing I'm investigating next is how to set up the 'monster' controllers to behave properly. For purposes of this video I detached the controllers from the pawns, as they are currently very disobedient and it makes it impossible to capture a good video clip.

My initial goal is to replicate the UT2004 Invasion gametype, but I'd also like to add support within this gametype for some more structured rules variants. Really diving into getting this working has made me come up with a number of ideas that I think can be really neat to explore further. In any case, feel free to discuss and brainstorm ways to make this all work better.
    Last edited by Wail; 05-23-2015, 05:45 PM.
    Find My: Twitter | YouTube | Downloads | Podcast
    Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol
    Other: Lore | Invasion | Pickups & Powerups | Achievement Ideas

Looks really interesting, and for the first iteration; very functional too!
    As a twist, later down the road, I suggest opening up the possibilities of having two teams competing against each other. (Be it one team assuming the role of the invader (with monster classes) and the other team the role of the defender, or two teams competing on who does the most effective defense against NPCs measured in ways like kill score, damage, or overal zone-control/effectiveness)

Solid work there, so far!
    Last edited by FrostbyteGR; 05-21-2015, 09:29 AM.
    > FreezeTag [Blueprint]
    > Reimagining of Greed [BluePrint]
    > Avarice, a DM-variant of Greed [BluePrint]

Comment

Ahh, Invasion at last. I'm looking forward to it and will keep my fingers crossed. This is one of my fav gametypes.

Keep up the good work
      http://i58.tinypic.com/21n34sx.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by FrostbyteGR View Post
        Looks really interesting, and for the first iteration; very functional too!
        As a twist, later down the road, I suggest opening up the possibilities of having two teams competing against each other. (Be it one team assuming the role of the invader (with monster classes) and the other team the role of the defender, or two teams competing on who does the most effective defense against NPCs measured in ways like kill score, damage, or overal zone-control/effectiveness)

Solid work there, so far!
        Both of these ideas (and some others) are things I'd like to explore for sure.
        Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Cool! This will be with RPG ? (stats, upgrades, ect)

Comment

Originally posted by DeMOiX View Post
            Cool! This will be with RPG ? (stats, upgrades, ect)
            RPG is a different can of worms. I would like to add such elements eventually, but that is way beyond the scope of the initial gametype.

Comment

Great to hear that. We had so much fun with Invasion in UT2004.

Comment

You rock, Wail!

A good Invasion-RPG mod for UT4 would help increase the player counts significantly, hopefully with spillover to other game types. However, the difficulty level can't be like what it was over the past two years at the Clan Death Warrant server where it become so tough that it was no longer any fun.
                UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

Originally posted by WHIPperSNAPper View Post
                  You rock, Wail!

A good Invasion-RPG mod for UT4 would help increase the player counts significantly, hopefully with spillover to other game types. However, the difficulty level can't be like what it was over the past two years at the Clan Death Warrant server where it become so tough that it was no longer any fun.
                  Eh, well, I saw the problems you're complaining about now at least 6 years ago. At the time, I tried to change it so that the difficulty would never reach the point where it's at now, but people resisted & complained and here we are. That's part of the reason why I'd ultimately like to tackle Invasion + RPG, because I don't want to deal with the same predictable issues arising again.

Comment

Updated first post with this new video demoing some sick frags on inept bots/monsters.

Main things added here:

- Fixed controller respawning logic (thanks for the suggestion Vlad)
                    - Fixed game completion checks
                    - Stubbing in some more code for determining valid monster spawn locations (thinking about doing some drastic overhauls here in general)
                    - Added lots of customization options for controlling monster properties at spawn time (damage, speed, health, etc). Still thinking about the best way to structure this all.

Also, responding to questions that were posted in another thread,

Originally posted by ShokD View Post
                    Great Progress! An unusual thought hit me, were Invasion can become a gametype in which each wave the AI become difficult as the player progresses. Also, the waves can have a sufficient time level where you have to survive to reach the next ending with 'GODLIKE' difficulty
                    Currently I have it set up so you can configure the difficult to increase by a configurable amount per wave. The difficulty value can also be set to modify the damage, speed, and health of monsters automatically. The demo video I posted shows the monsters as slow and weak on wave 1, but if you configured it they could be stronger, faster, and harder to kill as the waves advance.
                    Last edited by Wail; 05-23-2015, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                      It's been on my to-do list for a long time, but I finally started taking a more serious look at developing Invasion
                      And with that, I have to say... "I love you man - in a completely professional way of course "
                      Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

How is the work on the mod? It is waiting for the release. We had so much fun with Invasion in UT2004.

Comment

I'll be revisiting on this during the coming weekend, hopefully will have a working Blueprint that I can get up on some servers somewhere with Raxxy's help.

Comment

is this going to be a blueprint gamemode or is there some c++ in there, i'd be very interested how you've done this
                            UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UE4
                            ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials

Comment

The new UT Necris should as invaders in the game mode invasion not be like in the older Unreal Monster

Im neuen UT sollten Necris als Invasoren im Spielmodus Invasion sein nicht wie in den älteren die Unreal Monster

Comment

Working...
                              X