Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wingmen (Duel-based; Competitive potential)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] Wingmen (Duel-based; Competitive potential)

Objective:

This is a GameMode inspired by Mortal Kombat X for mobiles. It shares a significant portion of code with LTS and its final release will support up to 4 teams. The basic rule is that there can only be 1 representant (Active Wingman) for each team at any given point. The intended rules are the following:

- The default GoalScore is 5;
    - The default RoundLimit is 5:00;
    - Each player has only one life per round;
    - At the first spawn, players are given all weapons and 100 Health / Armor;
    - At the beginning of each round, every team chooses one of its members to represent them (Active Wingman);
    - At any time, for each team, their Active Wingman can be deactivated by dying or asking to withdraw;
    - If the Active Wingman decides to withdraw, his inventory and health are stored (powerups are not stored);
    - Upon a withdrawal, an inactive teammate who hasn't died in the current round will spawn;
    - If a player does not have any living teammates, he cannot withdraw;
    - While a player is inactive, he regenerates HP at a rate of 1 HP / second;
    - If a player has played and has withdraw, at his next spawn, he will receive his stored weapons;
    - If a player has not played in the current round and is spawning for the first time, he is given the DefaultInventory;

This is a short video which presents some core elements: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fti6IQMefzk
    Please note the pictures of the valid enemies on the sides and the X marks for the one who have no health left.

NOTE: I am considering to create a 3v3 version which provides only 100 Health, the Impact Hammer and the Enforcer as the DefaultInventory; I am hoping this particular version could be an alternative to Duels, where people can create their own teams of the best duelers.

Current functionality:

- Players cannot yet choose who to represent them at the beginning of a round;
    - There are no HUD elements to display the remaining enemies who are still alive (and withdrawn), nor the current Active Wingman for the enemy teams;

Version 1.0:

- Withdrawal mechanics;
    - Player cycling mechanics;
    - Inventory and health saving system (special thanks to FrostbyteGR since this is an adaptation of his algorithm);
    - Camper warning system;

Future functionality:

- Custom HUDs for up to 4 teams (designing a single HUD will be more difficult, coloring it should be easy; artistic help from community is more than welcomed)
    - Custom scoreboard and stats (same as above)
    - BrightSkins
    - HitSounds

[SPECIAL THANKS]:

Community Ambassador Raxxy - Manages the implementation of the GameMode on his custom hubs.
    Last edited by vlad.serbanescu11; 06-22-2015, 04:23 PM.

Wait I'm so confused as to what this is. I can't watch the video so maybe that's why.... But is this just last team standing with one of your teammates being extra strong? I don't understand

Comment

It sounds like tag team wrestling but for duels. So you could "tag" your teammate and switch with him. The tagging would probably need to be limited as far as amount of possible tags, time between tags, or only able to tag in "safe zones" around a map. Interesting idea, although I think I'd rather just play TAM/BTA.

Edit: For the lazy, here is where the tag happens in vlad's video.

Edit 2: Spoiler, I misunderstood OP.
      Last edited by Infra`; 06-27-2015, 03:57 PM.
      Join us for friendly UT4 Pugs at irc.globalgamers.net #ut4pugs

Comment

Originally posted by Numb.51 View Post
        Wait I'm so confused as to what this is. I can't watch the video so maybe that's why.... But is this just last team standing with one of your teammates being extra strong? I don't understand
        It does shares a significant portion of code with Last Team Standing, but no, there are no overpowered teammates. Basically there can only be one representative (Active Wingman) for each team at any given time. Once all the team's Wingmen die, the other team scores (thus the similarity to Last Team Standing).

Originally posted by Infra` View Post
        It sounds like tag team wrestling but for duels. So you could "tag" your teammate and switch with him. The tagging would probably need to be limited as far as amount of possible tags, time between tags, or only able to tag in "safe zones" around a map. Interesting idea, although I think I'd rather just play TAM/BTA.
        No, you can't tag your teammate. You have no control over which teammate is going to enter the arena after you exit. You just control the moment of your exit (assuming you don't die first; if you die, the round is over for you).

I do agree, the tagging would have to be further limited. Right now, there is a 3-second delay and an announcer between a tag-out (or death) and a tag-in. I don't particularly agree with having "safe zones", but TimEh suggested to have a set amount of time for each player to actually play. This is something I'm considering and I might implement some form of it in the future.

Right now, the GameMode itself is in it's Pre-Alpha state so, although it's playable, it's lacking a few things (such as the widgets displaying team-related information) and also has a few bugs. I will address most of this issues in future updates.

Comment

Originally posted by vlad.serbanescu11 View Post
          No, you can't tag your teammate. You have no control over which teammate is going to enter the arena after you exit. You just control the moment of your exit
          I misunderstood you. When I saw "Duel based" I thought you meant 2v2 with only one person active at a time. Now I see you are talking about more than two people per team, but only one person active at a time.
          Join us for friendly UT4 Pugs at irc.globalgamers.net #ut4pugs

Comment

Originally posted by Infra` View Post
            I misunderstood you. When I saw "Duel based" I thought you meant 2v2 with only one person active at a time. Now I see you are talking about more than two people per team, but only one person active at a time.
            Yes, indeed. I do think, however, that 3v3 or 4v4 are the best setups for such gameplay. Basically, teams of duelers.

Comment

Update incoming, with a few improvements on the original mechanics and a reworked, more transparent and easy to understand, original post.

Comment

Working...
              X