Orbs in new ONS/WAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bobba_Novis View Post
    I think it would be fun to have some testing of the orb vs no orb on the ONS map remakes. It's been years since I played most of those maps. The thing is, you need to have sufficient numbers of players to do so. Maybe that is something that can happen if enough players are willing to participate.
    I know we don't play Torlan that much, but some, and that's at least some indicator. In some ways Torlan highlights more than the other common maps the problem with single-prime design, as the prime is 1) relatively far off, and 2) the path to it from the Core is way too exposed. The main problem with Torlan and the orb is the center node orb spawn, but that could be an easy fix.

IIRC, the main thrust of what Veggie, or whoever it was, was saying was that the distance and delay of the winning team having to carry the orb across a big map to get it to the EP was a good thing, as it gave the losing team a better opportunity to re-group, with or without the use of their orb. For instance, in Torlan, the losing team could maybe make two orb runs to their nearby prime while the winning team could only make one orb run all the way across the map in the same interval. And perhaps that's a zero-sum thang. The bigger map hinders offensive use of the orb but helps its defensive use. Maybe this is also why the devs put an orb spawn in the middle of the map but it backfired because it spawns there instead of at the core regardless of whether the team that controls that node controls its own prime (and thus the orb is spawning halfway across the map when the team really needs it to be spawning at their core-- experienced WAR players know what I'm talking about)

All that said, yes, it would be fun to test all this.
    Last edited by JZL; 08-01-2015, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JZL View Post
      I know we don't play Torlan that much, but some, and that's at least some indicator. In some ways Torlan highlights more than the other common maps the problem with single-prime design, as the prime is 1) relatively far off, and 2) the path to it from the Core is way too exposed. The main problem with Torlan and the orb is the center node orb spawn, but that could be an easy fix.

IIRC, the main thrust of what Veggie, or whoever it was, was saying was that the distance and delay of the winning team having to carry the orb across a big map to get it to the EP was a good thing, as it gave the losing team a better opportunity to re-group, with or without the use of their orb. For instance, in Torlan, the losing team could maybe make two orb runs to their nearby prime while the winning team could only make one orb run all the way across the map in the same interval. And perhaps that's a zero-sum thang. The bigger map hinders offensive use of the orb but helps its defensive use. Maybe this is also why the devs put an orb spawn in the middle of the map but it backfired because it spawns there instead of at the core regardless of whether the team that controls that node controls its own prime (and thus the orb is spawning halfway across the map when the team really needs it to be spawning at their core-- experienced WAR players know what I'm talking about)

All that said, yes, it would be fun to test all this.
      I totally disagree with this. I'm sure someone will come in and tell me that getting the center node is stupid and I don't know what I'm talking about. I have been in several matches where someone has gotten the center node and we came back and won the match. If the team coordinates properly the center node can be useful. This is how I see it. It gives you another spawn point and vantage to attack from. You get the cicada which can be helpful to get the tank out of play and you can keep attacking the prime with it.. You also have the shield belt right there and the jump boots and beserk are up top. The manta needs to go there for the tow, so again you need proper team coordination. The main problem is that you don't spawn there, you need to use the teleport at the base. I'll look and see if I still have the matches on video, but I probably don't. Another solution for Torlan would be to put a tank at the base and remove the tanks from the side nodes.
      YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
      X