-naval battle
    -desert pyramid
    -airport
    -steel plant
    -forum
    -fliperama center

Comment

Some feedback on what I've seen:

- don't know about your workflow, but I think maps can wait, you already have some. IMO UI is much more important for good user experience and it's not nearly there. It's very confusing where to go and what to do if you don't know the map, because most of the maps that you are (re)making are the worst cases of 90's labyrinths. There should be clearly stated objectives with current objective highlighted, health bars/progress bars for mission items, direction arrows, announcer, maybe a help screen with map showing the possible ways, etc - whatever it takes to make mod user friendly.
      - maps you are making can't be popular outside small community of Those Who Bear the Memories. If mod popularity is the thing, then better start from adapting a few stock maps from '04.
      - it's about time to introduce weapon lockers back into the game.

Comment

Most 2k4 maps have vehicles or manned turrets, which are still effectively non-existent in UT4.

@lauriston123, Assault maps are not so much about themes as they are about layout. Like, "a map with tight corridors and stairs", "a map with a central room and a building aside", "a map with sniper spam" etc.
        Last edited by Delfigamer; 09-12-2015, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Some good points Bosch, we are working on making Assault as beginner friendly as possible. At the moment we have:

- Press F3 during game and you get all objectives with text and potos, help screen.

- On the left side in your HUD, you have the objective list with taken (green text) and still to come objectives (red text)

- Next objective you have to take or defend, is always highlighted with a yellow Circle ingame.

- IF the objective needs to be destroyed (killed) it has a healt indicator %.

- We are in the making of video Tutorials of each map for beginners and also some tips and trix videos advance (launches, jumps, etc)

- Direction arrows etc is not open for us yet, Epic will soon have to work with us to open this up.

- It will come completely new maps but since the developing of the MOD is the most important thing codewise we had to make some maps we can use
          and playtest on for this was the fastest way. Also make a new assault map takes ALOT of time compared to dm/ctf.

- Urgamanix have made a completely new Scoreboard from scratch for assault.

We are still WIP but we have come a long way in short time thx to the effort of the team and players. Some things Epic are abit behind on and the weapons arent finished yet in the game.
          We will play PUG´s on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday on #ut4pugs around 20-21gmt, we usually play 6v6. Please join and play with us, tell what needs to be polished, changed etc
          Visit #ut.assault for more info there about PUG times and dates.

Originally posted by Bosch View Post
          Some feedback on what I've seen:

- don't know about your workflow, but I think maps can wait, you already have some. IMO UI is much more important for good user experience and it's not nearly there. It's very confusing where to go and what to do if you don't know the map, because most of the maps that you are (re)making are the worst cases of 90's labyrinths. There should be clearly stated objectives with current objective highlighted, health bars/progress bars for mission items, direction arrows, announcer, maybe a help screen with map showing the possible ways, etc - whatever it takes to make mod user friendly.
          - maps you are making can't be popular outside small community of Those Who Bear the Memories. If mod popularity is the thing, then better start from adapting a few stock maps from '04.
          Last edited by iBamzz; 09-15-2015, 04:49 AM.
          Online nickname: Ba]V[sE or iBamzz
          [*.se] Starsofsweden
          Oldschool UT99 Player Since the beginning!

You Tube Channel: UT 4 Gameplay HD 60 FPS

Adrenaline - UT4 Fragmovie, 2015-06-26 2:07min NEW!!!

Comment

NEW PUG video, the closest so far 58min, Score 4-3 in the end. Really great game and some nice skills from both new and old players. We had some newcomers that really performed and enjoyed this mod.

Online nickname: Ba]V[sE or iBamzz
            [*.se] Starsofsweden
            Oldschool UT99 Player Since the beginning!

You Tube Channel: UT 4 Gameplay HD 60 FPS

Adrenaline - UT4 Fragmovie, 2015-06-26 2:07min NEW!!!

Comment

Maps and UI are being done by different people. Urgamanix is doing an incredible job with the UI and backend of Assault. It is being updated and improved almost weekly. There are small gripes we can have, but given the fact that he has put in under two months worth of hobby work (he has an important day job and a wife) and most essential features are already working let's not complain. There are no re-working of "labyrinths" as 90% of the maps are nearly straight lines. Additionally, the "small community of those who bear the memories" was a community of over three thousand actively competing members. UTAssault had more active players than ClanBase at one time and was still active when UT4 was announced. The same can't be said about 2k4, so try and keep that in perspective please.

Since 2k4 Assault was never as popular as UT99 I doubt it's fair to talk about mod popularity between the two games as it's comparing apples to oranges. 2k4 has some user-friendly ideas which Urgamanix has implemented, but what do you suggest can be improved on? Do you have a suggestion for a good 2k4 map to port?

Weapon lockers are actually a bad idea - positioning of weapons has a major effect on map balance in Assault and it's very important to keep certain weapons separated or make players sacrifice to obtain weapons.

Originally posted by Delfigamer View Post
              Most 2k4 maps have vehicles or manned turrets, which are still effectively non-existent in UT4.
              Thank God.
              Purveyor of Unreal Tournament.

<khxmz> thanksgiving is about being thankful for what you have nvz, not asking your favorite game developer for more hats

Comment

Smant, I wasn't even trying to be negative and I'm replying in this thread because a long-long time ago I had fun with Assault and I support your endeavour, so you can ease off your defense stance.

Originally posted by smant View Post
                let's not complain.
                You'll have a hard time developing something for the public being so over-sensitive.
                I gave feedback from point of view of a person who touches this UT4 mod for the first time.

There are no re-working of "labyrinths" as 90% of the maps are nearly straight lines.
                To me Golgotha2 looks like a map from Hexen. It may be a straight line, if you say so, but with current UI, such visuals and level design it indeed looks like a labyrinth.
                Have you seen how modern games look in terms of level design and UI?
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mabgexqn3G4
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bu0lNU1XkY
                New UT will have to compete with that, not with UT99 or Q3. Did you know that wall-runs, slides, double jumps, dodges and vehicles are already present in CoD? It also has nice UI, fancy graphics and giant player base.

Additionally, the "small community of those who bear the memories" was a community of over three thousand actively competing members. UTAssault had more active players than ClanBase at one time and was still active when UT4 was announced. The same can't be said about 2k4, so try and keep that in perspective please.
                Why are you talking about what it was? Clanbase is dead, UT player base is non-existant, meanwhile GTA5 has sold over 54 million copies. Try to be objective. You can't pretend it's still '99, games and gamers are different.

Do you have a suggestion for a good 2k4 map to port?
                I think everyone knows Convoy or Fallen City.

Since 2k4 Assault was never as popular as UT99 I doubt it's fair to talk about mod popularity between the two games as it's comparing apples to oranges. 2k4 has some user-friendly ideas which Urgamanix has implemented, but what do you suggest can be improved on?
                Personally I don't care about UT99 vs UT2K4 debate at all. Both are things of long past now. But it'll be good to unite both communities. 2k4 Assault introduced big and open maps (at least visually), had action movie impression and was popular with new players. I can't imagine a random player who would prefer playing AS-Guardia to CoD:BO3 or any other modern multiplayer FPS, but 2k4 maps still have a chance IMO.

As for interface, it needs basic things I specified earlier - which side you are on, numeic order of objectives, current objectives and so on. It's not enough to see yellow circle somewhere. The bare minimum is what 2k4 had, look at the video above.

Weapon lockers are actually a bad idea - positioning of weapons has a major effect on map balance in Assault and it's very important to keep certain weapons separated or make players sacrifice to obtain weapons.
                It depends on the map, obviously.

Comment

Hey again,

Just wanted to ensure this has been seen: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...onverter-0-5-1

Check it out mappers

For those who can map. It can convert the basic layout of maps for the older games. I can not map but as a test I was able to download/install and convert AS-Mazon into something that im sure a person with mapping skills could further develop into a working map.

Comment

Another suggestion: Dont put half-finished maps on publicly available servers. Had a nice bunch o first timers on but...complex maps/ not finished maps... ppl just ...left one by one :/
                    Only finished, easy maps so ppl have a chance to learn the game (?)

Or name one server as a test-server and another as a rock-solid maps-server.....
                    Last edited by Gurkburken; 09-17-2015, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks Gurk

@ Bosch, it sounds like your gripe is more with UT than Assault. Weapon lockers were generally a horrible idea that Epic has discontinued.

I find it strange you talk about complex maps in ut99 and then say ut2k4 had massive open maps which were substantially more confusing. You keep mentioning cod or gta but this thread isnt to comment on UT vs. other games. 70% of the "things you want to see" are already in the mod as bamzz pointed out.

I also find it strange you tell smant not to look at the past when you were the one talking about "90s labrinyths" to begin with. UT2k4 assault was unfortunately not very successful; personally I find Junkyard to not only be one of the worst ut maps but one of the worst "levels" i have played in any game period.

Your post would be more useful to us if it was a bit more constructive and more thought-out
                      Last edited by Urgamanix; 09-19-2015, 01:10 AM.

Comment

As for interface, it needs basic things I specified earlier - which side you are on, numeic order of objectives, current objectives and so on. It's not enough to see yellow circle somewhere. The bare minimum is what 2k4 had, look at the video above.
                        I'm sorry if you feel I came off as defensive - if you look at previous threads regarding AS on this forum there are a lot of weirdos who have a lot of terrible ideas and have attacked the basic principles of Assault while claiming to "love" it (despite never playing it online, in some cases), thus being defensive is now a very natural state. My apologies.

Perhaps you haven't played any of the recent versions of Assault. They all have objective listings (and have for some months) as well as 'F3' which gives a further listing, and it already says which team you're on and which team is attacking - you must have missed this or be playing a much older version.
                        Since not every assault map is played in order (Mazon, OceanFloor, etc, for example, can have almost any objective go in non-sequential order) it's not quite possible to create a 1,2,3 listing, but the 'F3' objectives overview does a pretty good job of that. In addition, we're working on tutorials to make it easier for folks to understand and learn the maps. However, you do bring up a good point that the small yellow dots are not the easiest to see. The UTAssault community developed a neat way to solve this issue which was included in Eavy's Assault Mod and LeagueAssault, where large orange flags could display on objectives and be seen easily across the map.

<khxmz> thanksgiving is about being thankful for what you have nvz, not asking your favorite game developer for more hats

Comment

I'm really sorry if I sound disrespectful with all your hard work by asking this, and I'm aware it'll sound most offensive to some people, but I couldn't help myself but wonder.

Is this supposed to be "UT4 Assault, official whether Epic accepts it or not" or "UT99 Assault, forced into UT4"?

I don't know if you guys assume it'll naturally work out with the rest of the game (and at this point I'm too afraid to ask), but even I, the oh-so-ignorant UT player that never played Assault online before, see this as something that diverges greatly from what UT4 is trying to accomplish.

To me it sounds like a mod for UT4. "Assault99" or something along those lines.

Comment

What is UT4 trying to accomplish?

Comment

Originally posted by PrimeIcarian View Post
                              Is this supposed to be "UT4 Assault, official whether Epic accepts it or not" or "UT99 Assault, forced into UT4"?
                              Urgamanix is collaborating with the UTAssault community (we played both UT99 and UT2k4, and UT99 lasted a lot longer and was more successful for a number of reasons) to create the best Assault gametype possible within UT4. In many ways, UT4 AS is nothing like UT99 AS and this has to do both with decisions Urgamanix has made to improve it, and Epic's decisions on the base game so far. At this point in time Urgamanix has developed and is continuing to develop the best entirely community-developed gametype and there has not been a word from Epic about it. Epic have not collaborated (despite Steve's post in this forum saying Epic would lead the way on this) with us to make a great gametype. If Epic want a great gametype that the existing community will play and support they should help start a dialogue about this and include it in their game.

I don't know if you guys assume it'll naturally work out with the rest of the game (and at this point I'm too afraid to ask), but even I, the oh-so-ignorant UT player that never played Assault online before, see this as something that diverges greatly from what UT4 is trying to accomplish.
                              How is it deviating from UT4? The only difference is the hammer launches, which is something that Epic would include in UT4 after the second Community Summit and has not yet. If that's something entirely unique to Assault you'll see a lot of intelligent players gravitating to Assault and staying away from CTF (which is already happening on a very small scale in PUGs) and Epic will lose out. The only other major changes are the great additions to the HUD to make Assault easier, and some scoring changes native to Assault (you get points for assault objectives, for example).

Wrong. Try it before you say things like this. Why don't you follow on Facebook to stay up-to-date with changes?
                              Last edited by smant; 09-21-2015, 05:41 AM.

Comment

I'm really sorry if I sound disrespectful with all your hard work by asking this, and I'm aware it'll sound most offensive to some people, but I couldn't help myself but wonder.

Hi Prime, not sure what youre trying to get at . UT4 Assault is exactly the same as both UT99 and UT2K4 Assault in game logic and utilises all of the gameplay UT4 CTF and DM have. Id recommend you try it out and play on ffa or one of our pugs (irc.globalgamers.net #ut.assault) to see this in the flesh

Comment

Working...
                                X