No announcement yet.

Assault [BP]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow this is looking amazing, id love to remake my Assault map from ut2k4 (AS-Protocore) is there plans to have a carry objective? if not im sure I can can somewhat change the last objective.
    Ciaran "Venguard" O Kelly
    Maps U2K4 : AS-Protocore ///AS-Krystalis Station ------ Maps TF2 : CTF-Daylight /// CP-2Shack
    Maps UT4 : DM-FractalCore /// DM-Q3DM17

Comment

We are certainly still looking for another skilled map maker to help recreate some of the best ut2k4 assault maps. No ability to carry things however, not currently planned.

Comment

What part of the world is your UT4 AS server hosted in?

Comment

Most in Germany. Server one is swedish
          UT4 ASSAULT - Server Admin | Community Admin
          UT4ASSAULT.COM

Forum Thread | UTA Discord | UTA Facebook
          UTA Steam Group | Email me

Comment

Originally posted by Urgamanix View Post
            We are certainly still looking for another skilled map maker to help recreate some of the best ut2k4 assault maps. No ability to carry things however, not currently planned.
            In theory this should be possible to do so though. The way I would tackle it would be having code in the blueprint to allow the map to designate an objective as "carriable".
            This would essentially take advantage of the particle system that UE4 provides. (Given that you should be able to designate a mesh instead of a texture as the particle, which I am not sure if UE4 supports; Mysterial should be able to clarify this)
            As far as visuals are concerned, since the carriable object could differ from map to map, the particle mesh resource would have to be provided/fed to the blueprint by the map itself.
            Thankfully UE4 has plenty of settings to modify the behavior of the particle, you can position and move it in whatever way you want, in relation to the character. You can even have it perpetually circling around the player even, if you so desire. And you can also designate additional overlay effects to better translate and highlight visually that the player is carrying the object.
            Detection of the carriable object could be handed by the usage of booleans (to check if the object is being carried, and by whom) and collision spheres/boxes to aid with picking the object up and also to check if the object has reached the desired destination.
            Then the objective can follow your existing objective code that you have for everything else. I assume that the only difference/modification needed, is to have the code being able to trigger the objective as a result of the said collision event. Be it the destination sphere/box colliding with the player capsule who's carrying the said objective, or with the collision sphere/box of the carriable objective itself (if you plan to support shootables).
            Last edited by FrostbyteGR; 10-04-2015, 04:30 PM.
            > FreezeTag [Blueprint]
            > Reimagining of Greed [BluePrint]
            > Avarice, a DM-variant of Greed [BluePrint]

Comment

Originally posted by fatJeff View Post
              Most in Germany. Server one is swedish

Oh well. I'll have to wait for one to pop up in the U.S.

Comment

Take part in our 2vs2 Assault Cup starting on Sunday 18th October and win an UTAssault t-shirt.

Sign up until October 14th and get more info on our forum at https://forums.utassault.net/index.p...v2-cup.120356/
                Attached Files
                UT4ASSAULT.COM

Comment

It would be cool if the OP was updated with the current map state and links to their respective thread, here or elsewhere
                  Stevie's corner
                  Maps at my blog : DM-Cruel, DM-Qu0 B2
                  Maps on Epic : DM-Valas, DM-Thaq, DM-Coda, DM-Chroma FPS, DM-Chroma, DM-Dakylian, DM-Elik, DM-Akar, DM-Aryth, DM-Aly, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta
                  Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Don't miss this one tonight ! Take a look now at http://www.twitch.tv/solar182

2v2 Assault Cup Finals - The countdown has begun !
                    UT4ASSAULT.COM

Comment

I'm concerned by the lack of gameplay knowledge displayed on today's stream and what I perceived to be a critical tone in some instances. I don't speak for the UTAssault community as a whole and I certainly don't speak for or with Urgamanix, but I think there is a dialogue that needs to begin. We're dealing with a pre-alpha game here, and the Assault gametype is in a pre-pre-Alpha stage if anything. Urgamanix has done a terrific job getting as far as can without support, and the Assault community is continuously working on new and exciting ways to add new players and make the learning experience seamless and streamlined. There have already been wonderful contributions from folks like iBamzz and fatJeff in this area, and continue to be more and more as things progress.

Allow me to be clear here, learning Assault has never been a deterrent to players. It is not the "hardcore" Assault players who are doing this, but rather a myriad of players who could be considered casual at best, players who have enjoyed competitive Assault, and a small handful of players who played very competitively. Urgamanix who is leading this project has a lovely balance of a player who enjoys the game for what it is and who enjoyed the competitive aspect, but never at any of the highest levels. He has done a great job making the gametype itself new-user friendly, but has had to overcome many challenges of the game's state right now to make Assault playable and enjoyable for casual and competitive players. His task has not been easy, but the Assault community has always had a learning curve to it. That is the nature of the game, part of what makes it interesting, and has never been a deterrent. Yes, Assault requires better gameplay knowledge than other gametypes. Yes, Assault requires better teamwork than other gametypes. Yes, Assault has different tricks and team-based tricks which other gameplay types avoid. No, these are not deterrents. Any player can learn and has been able to learn, and given the wide variety of servers and in the player base, players are free to play the way they'd like to.

While it's nice to think about having intros to each map, that takes up a lot of time both making and before each map and would need to be implemented properly. That's something Epic really needs to be on board with. The objectives already display with a little summary if you press F3 (something Urgamanix again worked very hard on implementing) and are visible through walls, etc. This is by far the most convenient version of Assault in any of the three games Assault has existed in. Criticisms about spawnpoints not being close enough to weapons seem wholly irrelevant, it's not as if all CTF spawnpoints have you looking at a weapon when you spawn. While that's certainly a really good area to work on from a mapmaking perspective, I cannot think of any examples where this actually exists in Assault except for a few bugged spawns. Could Epic please provide some feedback on where this is occurring so that it may be addressed? I too have some qualms with some of the mapmaking thus far, but since it's a pre-pre-pre-pre-Alpha this feedback can go a long way.

Regarding moving and carrying objectives: This is Assault, not bombing run. Moving objectives have been done in the past, and 2k4AS-Junkyard stands out as one of the worst Assault maps ever created across any game. We've discussed tons of different ways to make objectives more dynamic and have been open to mapmakers implementing new and creative ways to making Assault, but after lengthy conversations we decided that moving objectives didn't fit the gameplay feel of Unreal Tournament. In the process of carrying over older maps to UT4, we've also noticed that a lot of them don't mesh well with the gameplay feel of the new Unreal Tournament, so this is very much a work in progress and an exciting process. This means that there are some great ideas to bump off one another and see how we can implement some crazy things to see if they stick or not, but to do this we need your input.

There are some really good takeaways from this: It's not always clear when there is a new spawn. Sidney proposed doing forced respawns. This has been forced on a few maps in the past but isn't overall a good idea because it limits players options, so players sneaking would be hurt. How about we do something like say "New spawn available" so that players can suicide if they choose? In order for this to work, Epic needs to fix 'Suicide' so that it works when entered, rather than working only 1/4th of the time. With time players know when to suicide and get in position so one player cannot get behind defensive lines and win, but knowing to respawn is essential for new players. Steve's idea about having a chromium popup is also a good idea. While this isn't for everyone, having it optional (such as when pressing F3) is a great way to acquaint new players rather than asking them to leave the game to go on YouTube or forums.

Again, I don't speak for the UTAssault community but I think most of us are extremely thankful to Epic for showcasing Assault on today's stream and are looking forward to interacting with new players and dealing with some of the issues spoken about. Hopefully we can work further to make the gametype even better.
                      Purveyor of Unreal Tournament.

<khxmz> thanksgiving is about being thankful for what you have nvz, not asking your favorite game developer for more hats

Comment

I actually thought there were some very good critical points made in the stream (http://www.twitch.tv/unrealtournament/v/23982975).

---
                        tl;dr; Yes, there is a divide in Assault as it is now, but we should be helping Epic to fill that divide at the core game level, not necessarily trying to fix that in this mod.
                        ---

From what I understand (and I'm happy to be corrected), it was never the intention for this mod to be THE Assault game type, but simply a blueprint (pun intended) built from how a community of players have grown with Assault, how it could be shaped alongside the new game, and possibly just as important, into a competitive league akin to the one we all knew and loved (yes, I am observing this grow as more of a "League Assault" spin-off).

Some of the points raised in the stream, I can quite keenly associate with how we've been running our old =]DoG[= servers over the years:

There has always been the old-time favourite "Standard Maps" server. It's easy-mode, no-nonsense Assault. Anyone can jump in ("pro" or otherwise) and have a go without needing to have any kind of learning curve. No massive amount of team-work required, but you sometimes do see it, and when it works, it works. For years it was full most nights and you'd even find groups of people on there during the day time (it was even busy on holidays such as Christmas and New Years Eve - some serious addiction there).

Then there was the "Custom Maps" server, home to community built maps, typically home of the league players who just wanted to jump in for a bit of fun (prior to PUGs becoming the norm)... Huge variety of maps, each with their own degree of difficulty for those unfamiliar.

It was quite a divide. The league players, and Custom Maps regulars would often switch to Standards for some newbie farming, but it was rare that you saw newbies venturing on to the custom servers (and staying). In the early pre-YouTube days, it was fine, as there was always someone willing to "show you the ropes" on a less busy server (sometimes up until 4 AM)... A shepherd (or sometimes even a flock) to guide you through the nuances of those custom maps, giving you key insights of these maps and how to beat them, not only solo, but as a team player.

We're in a different time now, where things are more instantly accessible, and we don't necessarily need the help of people to be available to guide us this way. We have server hubs which have the potential be utilised to provide training grounds for our custom content. For example, building bot-assisted walk-throughs or camera fly-bys isn't impossible, just probably something a little outside the realms of this mod (in the immediate future anyway). In one of the last maps I helped make in UT99, I actually programmed the whole 2004-style fly-by video used on the YouTube promo, IN the map, which can actually be executed by anyone - no need for external mods (e.g. RCAM). It only took a few hours to make in the grand scheme of things - but that's only because I had the tools available to me to make this inside the map (or in this case, the parts to build the tools).

Going back to talking about the divide between "standard" and "custom" maps... I think this is probably where the discussion was going. Why should there be a divide? Should we not be striving for everyone to be hitting the Assault gametype for all it has to offer as early as possible, not just the easy bits?

Yes, that's easy to say, but there's probably a lot of things which need to be thought out here. Sure, some UI elements can be added to make stages in the maps (such as re-spawns available) more obvious, and some obvious mapping changes can be made for better flow, but are there some fundamental things we, as more seasoned Assault players, are missing here?

Things which we have come to consider "normal" play over the years - like suiciding, shouldn't necessarily be the norm going forward. Why not fix it now, while there's enough drive? I can immediately think of one option which could be worked out to get rid of suiciding - beacon based group respawn via personal teleports. Beacon gets deployed (the next spawn point), a popup appears on screen - press "X" key to teleport to the new location (perhaps a 2 second delay, no different than suiciding). Could even have it configurable as to whether health/weapons are preserved. Wouldn't take much work to get that up and running.

So, there's probably a few avenues for improvement, but maybe not a huge amount which can be done within the confines of the blueprint system. This is really where we need to be taking what we've learnt from this blueprint and go back with a list of fundamental requirements for things needed to be resolved/implemented in the core game mechanics.

On a side note, I actually like the suggestions made in the stream... We shouldn't be dismissing carry-able objectives and (slow-)moving defence points. I've played maps with these mechanics in other games, and they were huge fun. While it may not make sense to use these kinds of mechanics in any of the map roster we have currently, having the ability to provide this will open up all sorts of creative avenues (and a key take-away here - different league types!). They may not be "core" Assault, but why should we be limiting how big Assault could be?

n.b. I retrospectively apologise for all bad puns, analogies, and Oxford commas I've put in this post.

/edit

I take back my apology for the Oxford commas. I shouldn't be ashamed to admit I'm a serial comma user (YES, THAT WAS ALSO A PUN).
                        Last edited by Sizzl; 11-09-2015, 07:44 PM.
                        utassault.net - Administrator [a.k.a. '//3iRd(o)]

Comment

Originally posted by smant View Post
                          How about we do something like say "New spawn available" so that players can suicide if they choose?
                          Maybe use 2004's "Press Q to go to new spawn"?

Also, I take back everything I said in the past about this project. And I admit I was putting my nose on a thing I don't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by PrimeIcarian View Post
                            Maybe use 2004's "Press Q to go to new spawn"?
                            This shows how much I (hadn't) played 2004

Yes... This would probably be the most straight forward thing to do.
                            utassault.net - Administrator [a.k.a. '//3iRd(o)]

Comment

Sorry I've been on business travel all of November. Released a new version and updated the thread! People asking me what I thought of the Assault Epic livestream, will give my comments later .

Comment

Nice to see UTA back in action!

Some notes:

After a break UTAssault is back again not only with the new Assault version 2.6 also with some all new and updated maps and a lot of fixes.
                                Lately Urgamanix and his team are working hard and have great plans for upcoming innovations. Besides new versions, we will release a nice surprise in the near future you should look forward to Christmas.
                                Come pug with us tonight at 20 GMT / 21 CET to see the latest changes and have some fun with us.

>>Join us at irc.globalgamers.net ‪#‎ut‬.assault<<

UT4ASSAULT.COM

Comment

Working...
                                X