Assault [BP]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] Assault [BP]

Assault was one of the default game-types available for both the original UT99 and UT2k4. This game type is played with two opposing teams, one assaulting a "base" and the other defending it. The map is set up with a number of objectives which the attacking team must complete (usually in sequence) such as destroying something, entering an area, triggering a button etc.

The team who first attacks then defends, and attempts to defend for the entire time they attacked. If they can accomplish this, they win the map. If the team defending first assaults the base faster than the other team, they win the map. If both teams defend for the maximum amount of time the map is a tie.

This blueprint set recreates this game type in all its glory, built by the Assault community! We have many maps already completed and HUBs and servers available! Come and play a few rounds - you won't be disappointed! Separately, we are also working on revamping our league, if you are interested in starting a team to participate please let me know!

The Team:

[Project Lead - Urgamanix] :: [Coding - Urgamanix] :: [Servers - Hank, fatjeff, Skalman] :: [Maps - BloodK1nG, Urgamanix] :: [Community - fatjeff, Hank, iBamzz] :: [Thanks To - ATD, cafe, Diode, Raste, raxxy, Rup, WeeDMaN]

The Map List:

The FAQ:

1. How is Assault played?
    To play and win Assault, you must complete objectives. Each map has its own set of objectives; these objectives either need to be touched (e.g. a switch) or shot and destroyed (e.g. a generator). One team are designated attackers, the other team defend and try to stop the attackers from completing the objectives within the time limit.

When either the time-limit expires or the attackers complete all their critical objectives, the roles are reversed. If the attackers completed the map, the new attackers need to assault the base in a faster time. For example, if BLUE finish a map in 3:24, the RED team then have to finish the map in 3:23 or less to win.

Not all objectives are required to win the map - some simply open new paths for the attackers, move the attacking spawns further up the map, or limit the defenders in some way. In version 2 of the game type, we will provide a screen that explains the objectives for each map. In addition, I will soon provide overview videos of each map to give you an idea of how to Assault the base!

2. Do I need to download anything to play?
    All required downloads will be automatically provided from the server. Simply find one of our Assault servers, connect, download, and play!

3. Where can I find servers?
    We have a number of HUBs available - you can search for "Assault" in the HUB name! For individual servers, simply click into "Individual Servers" in-game, and select the "Assault" game type from the drop-down.

4. I'm a map-maker and want to build an Assault map. Where do I begin?
    Please get in contact with me on discord at http://ut4assault.com/discord for a quick discussion on the map and how to set up map components! Why would you make an Assault map over a CTF or DM map? Simply because we are developing a set map-list of 15-20 maps for the Assault league. We can pretty much guarantee that your map will be played, lots, in a competitive environment. Don't get lost in the crowd!

5. I want to join an Assault team!
    We are busy preparing a relaunch of our classic Assault league, so sign-ups are not currently open. If you do have the urge to register your support, please join our IRC channel!

6. How else can I support the Assault community?
    For now, all updates on Assault as well as discussion on current maps are happening in our discord channel. If you wish to support, please find us there, even if you just want to idle!

As always, thanks to all that have supported us thus far.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Urgamanix; 03-08-2017, 02:26 AM.

Yes, Assault is coming back! I'd love to give this version a try.

Comment

Interesting, so you've decided to shift to Blueprints. Good call, I have to say.

I also happened to sit for a few hours yesterday and make an Assault blueprint which contains the following:
      • Checkpoint system which includes a general purpose Objective Actor (with an activation/trigger boolean), and two area markers with collision boxes to designate the Attacker and Defender spawn areas of each checkpoint.
      • Numerical identification of each Checkpoint and it's components, so that mappers don't have to worry about which part of the map they tackle first. Just as long as they number their Checkpoints and Spawn Areas accordingly. The Checkpoints are being sorted during insertion, at the GameMode's initialization.
      • SpawnPoint designation algorythm so players will always be spawned at their respective Attacker and Defender Areas of the current checkpoint, and also moved to the new areas when the Checkpoint has been triggered and we moved to the next one.
      • Checkpoint progression and Round timer systems.
      • Two-round system with all the required win-clauses that are needed to determine the winner.
      • Random designation of the Attacking and Defending team at the GameMode's initialization, and their swap when we move to the second round/phase.
      • Reset system which is called between rounds.

All the mapper has to do, in order to make the map, is:
      • Plop down the general purpose Objective Actor, number it, and hook it up to the Checkpoint's objective in the level BP.
      • Plop down the Attacker and Defender Spawn Area actors, number them, and scale their collision box in order to contain the UTTeamPlayerStart actors that the mapper wishes to designate as the Attacker and Defender spawn points of each Checkpoint.

The blueprint will then take care of the rest.

To those I also plan Objective information and status, along with a round timer in a custom HUD overlay.

Cafe prompted me that we should join forces, and I am willing to cooperate and share my work and any knowledge that I can offer.
      In that case, please let me know of how I can be of help. My blueprints are at your disposal should you request it.

Good work Urgamanix.
      > FreezeTag [Blueprint]
      > Reimagining of Greed [BluePrint]
      > Avarice, a DM-variant of Greed [BluePrint]

Comment

nice to hear you support Urgamanix and won't work against each other.

With Urgamanix we have an old hand for assault and a great coder. And he already has the community supporting him and his work.

I think this will lead to something great!

We will give it a testrun in a few hours can't wait !

Comment

Ive seen some magnificent developement in the UTA.net forums already. thats really great news.

I already told to Bamse in IRC. It is very important to get one map to a playable (alphaish) status and get it on publics. That way youll earn loads of feedback and it will help to not do a lot of work twice.

Comment

I'd like to try. Can't map right now (working on another project), but will test and play it.

Comment

Never did finish my old UT2004 Assault map, *sniffle* might be nice to take up the old bird for a spin again on UE4

Comment

I might be up for helping with some maps. I've got a few things on my plate right now but I'll get back to you soon

Comment

@Urgamanix:

First off, and now that I have seen the video, I would like to congratulate you again for achieving such smooth gameplay. This is far more superior to what I have currently achieved, or the way I was planning on tackling it anyway.

Secondly, I would like to offer an apology of any sort of trouble or upsetting that I might have caused you quite a few days ago. Sometimes you just have to let go of things, no matter how badly you want to do them.

Lastly, I would like to express that I have decided to step down from the development of Assault. But this is not about admitting defeat or not, or who is better at coding/developing. I have come to realise that the important part is to work as a team, helping each other achieve what we want to play, and not let personal ambitions create grudges and rivalries that would hinder or make collaboration impossible.
                  I admit that I have made the wrong manuevers, but there's nothing that can be done about it, as it's in the past. I hope that you could find it in your heart to forgive my impatience and stuborness.

And by any means, please let me know if you want help with anything, I will be more than willing to help out in any way that I can.
                  > FreezeTag [Blueprint]
                  > Reimagining of Greed [BluePrint]
                  > Avarice, a DM-variant of Greed [BluePrint]

Comment

Hi all! Just a quick update: we had a 6v6 last night on AS-Guardia, was amazing fun! A few bugs here and there but nothing we didn't already know already (still in version 0.9). You can find "Urgamanix's Assault Server" in the individual server list, temporarily named. We will be moving to version 1.0 this weekend. Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by FrostbyteGR View Post
                      @Urgamanix:

First off, and now that I have seen the video, I would like to congratulate you again for achieving such smooth gameplay. This is far more superior to what I have currently achieved, or the way I was planning on tackling it anyway.

Secondly, I would like to offer an apology of any sort of trouble or upsetting that I might have caused you quite a few days ago. Sometimes you just have to let go of things, no matter how badly you want to do them.

Lastly, I would like to express that I have decided to step down from the development of Assault. But this is not about admitting defeat or not, or who is better at coding/developing. I have come to realise that the important part is to work as a team, helping each other achieve what we want to play, and not let personal ambitions create grudges and rivalries that would hinder or make collaboration impossible.
                      I admit that I have made the wrong manuevers, but there's nothing that can be done about it, as it's in the past. I hope that you could find it in your heart to forgive my impatience and stuborness.

And by any means, please let me know if you want help with anything, I will be more than willing to help out in any way that I can.
                      Exactly why these are my favorite forums on the internet. It seems to be much more about creating content than... Whatever it is that actually passes for discussion on some of the forums I've seen. I clearly missed something though :P

Really looking forward to getting into Assault, one of my favorite game modes from 99. It is shame that it was never properly realized on 3 as that was my favorite of the series (though 4 is gonna take that position, I have no doubt).
                      My maps:

CTF-DBMBridge: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...-CTF-DBMBridge

Comment

I cannot find this server. Can you provide a short stepbystep instruction what to do to be able to playtest coming from a fresh alpha version ?

edit: solutioon: just join, everything will be downloaded. The server name is bugged atm, but the gamemode is peculiarly called "Assault"
                        Last edited by unsobor; 07-14-2015, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Nice, assault, one of my favorite game modes. The map needs some of these and mortar turrets tho:

I'm not really a good modeler, but I could give the blueprints a try.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MazK View Post
                            Nice, assault, one of my favorite game modes. The map needs some of these and mortar turrets tho:

I'm not really a good modeler, but I could give the blueprints a try.
                            From what I recall there are already blueprints for automated turrets (Overlord map made by SID). If not, check with Irridium77 or Scoob, I know one of them has worked on turrets already
                            RASTE IN PEACE !
                            Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
                            Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Originally posted by Raste View Post
                              From what I recall there are already blueprints for automated turrets (Overlord map made by SID). If not, check with Irridium77 or Scoob, I know one of them has worked on turrets already
                              Hmm interesting, I had a quick look at the dm-overlord turret blueprint (which I think you meant?). Although the turrets are aimed by a player it could indeed be a good starting point for the turrets.

Comment

Working...
                              X