Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] Bombing Run Devolution

Bombing Run Devolution

( I write this separate from vlad's BR because I want his to not be changed by my ideas )

As it is now there really are few bombs in BR and that’s a good thing. Starting with the fundamentals, the bomb has 4 charges when picked up. This means the ball will follow a transing player up to 4 times. Additionally the ball can be thrown and its path affected by some weapons. The ball is captured by any player via collision and many weapons will interrupt its flight causing it to fall to the ground. A pass that collides with vertical walls while in transit will bounce and move off in an arcing motion continuing to collide with the environment until deadened by the ground, captured by a wall, or final escaping of the map. If the ball is captured by the wall it maintains its original capture position and a ghost of it glitches down the wall. This leads to some strange fights over an imaginary position on the wall. This and other undocumented 2k4 actions will be considered the standard environment for BR.

So how will it devolve? (Technically it will evolve from there but for the sake of chaos we will consider any evolution a devolution from its pure state)

This is just one devolution pathway.

First: The addition of subspace rules. A subspace is just an area of the map. A rule is just changes in the ball properties. Multiple subspaces can exist and overlap. Conflicting rules will be arbitrated by the maps author. PS the goal is just the ultimate subspace rule.

Second: The variance of ball charges. This can range from the initial charge count when picked up, to the decay of charges when dropped, to the growth of charges when held, or the expenditure of charges during certain events, or the maximum, minimum charge count and so on.

Third: Charges equate to possible action. If you wish to pass the ball must have at least one charge. The same goes for dropping, throwing or boosting the ball. PS a boosted ball must be in fight, you cant just shock a ball on the ground to drain it.

Fourth: The Un(written) rule. Small things nuance play.

Example: Putting the Bomb in Bombing Run.

Initial Charge 2: This means that a ball left on the ground will slowly grow/decay to 2 at some rate.

Throw Drop 4: A player can throw or drop the ball as long as the charges are 1-4.

Detonation at 7: If the ball charge reaches 7, BOOM! If a player has not managed the charges by dropping and picking it up and it exceeds 4 the only way to prevent detonation is to pass to another player. If no other player is available to pass to or the goal is unreachable the player can run jump scream wet ones pants, etc, they’re going to blow. Moreover, if the team has not managed the charges they must find a way to expend 3 charges to prevent their own demise. If the dead man walking does not allow the receiver to get enough space between them to expend 3 charges. He’s going to pop next. You can pass back and forth, but that’s going to slow your movement. 3 or more players should be able to easily control a hot bomb. However a cold bomb without charges will not be able to travel as fast.

Increasing Bomb Shield: The same way the bomb will slowly heal you, an increasing shield can lead to your demise. This is not an extreme effect at first but as the bomb approaches detonation the shield will near invincibility.

Fire 6: (aka I’m taking you with me) As the charges near detonation, the dead man walking will be allowed to use weapons with evar increasing damage.

I’m going to start coding this when I have time. I’m placing this here for feedback and any Unrules that may change my way of seeing things.

I can also see game types where a ball could be used on a DM field with very fun results. Imagine throwing a ball around a group while fighting and someone happens to hold it with dead man status. At least one dude is going to die, but with the shield and ups a dead man gets, that would just be Unreal.

Schmide

Sounds interesting and complicated

I like this a lot

Originally posted by schmide View Post
    Bombing Run Devolution
    First: The addition of subspace rules. A subspace is just an area of the map. A rule is just changes in the ball properties. Multiple subspaces can exist and overlap. Conflicting rules will be arbitrated by the maps author. PS the goal is just the ultimate subspace rule.

Second: The variance of ball charges. This can range from the initial charge count when picked up, to the decay of charges when dropped, to the growth of charges when held, or the expenditure of charges during certain events, or the maximum, minimum charge count and so on.

Third: Charges equate to possible action. If you wish to pass the ball must have at least one charge. The same goes for dropping, throwing or boosting the ball. PS a boosted ball must be in fight, you cant just shock a ball on the ground to drain it.
    Rule 1 sounds great. Imagine a field in the map, where the gravity changes or the gamespeed and the fields are overlapping etc
    Rule 2 and 3 sounds for me like a basketball rule. Where you cant do many steps and if you do to many, you get a penalty like the BOOM.

I'm willing to try it out
    Projects: UT4BombingRun | UTCC wiki

Comment

Working...
    X