Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not a fan of the dodge role in any way. I feel that it is not only boring and looks silly but it doesn't add any extra aspects to the movement. Right now there's no reason to even use it.

Also I feel like the multi wall jumps right now need fixing as well. I think the wall jumps should be something like that of shootmania where you can climb on objects by doing the wall jumps.

Ive have played ut99 2k's and ut3. I'm more of a fan of ut2k4. Right now ut4 feels like you're a tank and moving slow. I'd like to see faster movement and faster weapon use as well. To me the game in the current state feels like it's only being made for ut99 players and without the others in mind. I'd like to see something new that is different than the rest.

Comment

I started playing UT99 instagib 155/55 (Or LowGrav instagib or ESR LowGrav, whatever) one year ago.

The best thing for me would be an easy way to modify all kinds of variables discussed in here to maybe even find a better configuration for all kinds of game styles including LowGrav Insta.

And that's it for me. Just please make it easy to adjust movement mechanics to suit certain gamestyles.

Comment

Here's my latest feedback in video and blueprint form. Switching between all the UT's I now much prefer my tweaked blueprint of SteveUTChar to the other games movement. Put in some video of UT99 and 2004 for comparison:

BLUEPRINT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uf5nwvpbyu...er.uasset?dl=0

EDIT: Updated the blueprint to have a bit more acceleration and faster movement speed as it felt a tad too slow.

EDIT 2: Still tweaking to find a personal movement speed sweet spot. Think it might be a tad slower, will re-upload a blueprint *soon*.
        Last edited by TotesAmaze; 10-22-2014, 05:01 PM.
        UT4: CTF-Defiance, CTF-Melt.
        Epic - This video made me smile: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-p.../2300-6418948/
        "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

where is DOUBLE JUMP???!!!

Comment

In a mutator, where it should be.
            Originally posted by Mysterial
            An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

where and how i can use that mutator?

Comment

Originally posted by sunflowers12 View Post
                where and how i can use that mutator?
                https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...vement-Mutator

It's not compatible with the 11/07 build yet, that will come in a few hours.
                HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

I thought I should post this here too as this is the official thread for movement feedback. I've colour grouped the most important values that have been changed to read them easier, and I'll explain my changed values.

One thing I want to say is that this isn't something I've knocked together, but I've been slowly tweaking for months and getting it as close as possible to what in-game felt great to me.

You should be able to obtain the values from the files here (settings file and blueprints):
                  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7cqlebqf5...U1qk0CZka?dl=0

Code:
                  [/Script/Mutator_MovementPrototyper.Mutator_MovementPrototyper]
                  DefaultBaseEyeHeight=71.000000
                  HealthMax=100
                  SuperHealthMax=199
                  DamageScaling=1.000000
                  FireRateMultiplier=1.000000
                  bSpawnProtectionEligible=True
                  MaxSafeFallSpeed=2400.000000
                  FallingDamageFactor=100.000000
                  CrushingDamageFactor=2.000000
                  EmoteSpeed=1.000000
                  TeamPlayerIndicatorMaxDistance=2700.000000
                  PlayerIndicatorMaxDistance=1200.000000
                  MaxStackedArmor=200
                  MaxWalkSpeed=950.000000
                  WallDodgeTraceDist=50.000000
                  MinAdditiveDodgeFallSpeed=-5000.000000
                  MaxAdditiveDodgeJumpSpeed=700.000000
                  MaxMultiJumpCount=2
                  bAllowDodgeMultijumps=True
                  bAllowJumpMultijumps=True
                  bCountWallDodgeMultijumps=True
                  MultiJumpImpulse=550.000000
                  DodgeJumpImpulse=525.000000
                  DodgeLandingSpeedFactor=0.30000
                  DodgeJumpLandingSpeedFactor=0.160000
                  DodgeResetInterval=0.350000
                  DodgeJumpResetInterval=0.350000
                  WallDodgeResetInterval=0.200000
                  SprintSpeed=1145.000000
                  SprintAccel=190.000000
                  AutoSprintDelayInterval=0.250000
                  LandingStepUp=40.000000
                  LandingAssistBoost=380.000000
                  MaxWalkSpeedCrouched=450.000000
                  MaxWallDodges=99
                  WallDodgeMinNormal=0.500000
                  MaxConsecutiveWallDodgeDP=0.970000
                  WallDodgeGraceVelocityZ=-2400.000000
                  AirControl=0.400000
                  MultiJumpAirControl=0.400000
                  bAllowSlopeDodgeBoost=True
                  WalkableFloorZ=0.695000
                  MaxAcceleration=6040.000000
                  MaxFallingAcceleration=4200.000000
                  BrakingDecelerationWalking=1750.000000
                  BrakingDecelerationFalling=0.000000
                  BrakingDecelerationSwimming=300.000000
                  GravityScale=1.000000
                  DodgeImpulseHorizontal=1285.000000
                  DodgeMaxHorizontalVelocity=1500.000000
                  MaxStepHeight=55.000000
                  NavAgentProps=0.000000
                  CrouchedHalfHeight=64.000000
                  RollHalfHeight=46.000000
                  SlopeDodgeScaling=0.930000
                  DodgeRollAcceleration=2000.000000
                  MaxDodgeRollSpeed=920.000000
                  DodgeRollDuration=0.450000
                  DodgeRollBonusTapInterval=0.170000
                  DodgeRollEarliestZ=-100.000000
                  RollEndingSpeedFactor=0.500000
                  FallingDamageRollReduction=6.000000
                  MaxSwimSpeed=1000.000000
                  MaxWaterSpeed=450.000000
                  Buoyancy=1.000000
                  SwimmingWallPushImpulse=730.000000
                  MaxMultiJumpZSpeed=400.000000
                  JumpZVelocity=775.000000
                  WallDodgeSecondImpulseVertical=450.000000
                  DodgeImpulseVertical=525.000000
                  WallDodgeImpulseHorizontal=1285.000000
                  WallDodgeImpulseVertical=475.000000
                  MaxSlideFallZ=-200.000000
                  SlideGravityScaling=0.200000
                  MinWallSlideSpeed=500.000000
                  MaxSlideAccelNormal=0.000000
                  I also changed GroundFriction to 7.8

Running Speed/MaxWalkSpeed - 925: I wanted something here that felt fast enough to strafe well, including while running with the help of a decent acceleration value to help players strafe some weapon fire and a snipers crosshair. However, it needed also to be slow enough to feel right when you were doing smaller things such as walking around some crates, moving over an ammo pickup or peaking over a ledge. I finally settled on 950 (940 - 950 seem good) which goes well with my sprint settings. EDIT: Reduced to 925.

Acceleration/MaxAcceleration - 5275: This was a compromise between snappyness of acceleration which is important for aiming and feeling like the movement is responsive, with not having the player able to change direction crazily fast and making sure the player feels like they have substance...if you know what I mean. EDIT: Changed down from near 6000 to new value of 5275 acceleration and it feels responsive enough but the feeling of being more grounded might be better here.

BreakingDecelerationWalking - 1750: I lowered this alot but it felt better for the character to have a smoother slowdown when coming to a stop - it was too binary before. Works well with the movement speed and accel I think.

JumpVelocityZ/JumpHeight - 775: This may be edging on the higher side of things (I had it even higher before) but I wanted your main jump to comfortably get you onto small crates in the levels. I didn't find myself banging my head with this value.

Dodging/DodgeImpuleHorizontal - 1285: I reduced this slightly as i felt a lack of control over the normal dodge. The dodge is still substantial but now you have more control of curving your path back in when falling. I also felt this helped me feel less confined in some of the maps where dodging didn't have enough room. This also helps the dodge jump not feel like it takes you too far.

DodgeLandingSpeedFactor - 0.3: Greatly adds to a smoother feeling of movement having a reduced penalty. This also helps offset the marginally shorter dodge distance, but mainly just makes moving around the map feel nicer!

DodgeJumpLandingSpeedFactor - 0.16: Almost twice the slowdown of the normal dodge, this helps balance the dodge jump in my blueprint. It feels like it slows you down enough as a tradeoff for your dodge-jump extra distance and speed, meaning its not always the best option for travel and in fact most of the time I preferred sprinting. You're landing from a long jump afterall.

DoubleJump/MultiJumpImpulse - 550: This felt good as an extra small boost of height for double jump. I feel the normal jump should be the majority of the height and the double jump should give that extra 'just a little bit' rather than two mediocre jumps.

Walldodge/WalldodgeImpuleHorizontal - 1285: Same reasons as dodge. For height changes it just made the second walldodge feel more substantial and useful.

Sprinting:

SprintSpeed - 1145: This felt as fast as I could take the value without going through the maps at a ridiculous pace. Again sometimes I cant explain but it just felt right.

SprintAccel - 190: This gave a quick enough to be useful but naturally feeling increase in pace.

AutosprintDelayInterval - 0.25: Probably the most important sprint change, this means you start building speed almost immediately. To me this feels better than a strange wait of 2 seconds before gaining speed. Now you build pace as you run forwards and overall I think the movement felt smoother for it.

Now I'm gunna go play the latest build some more as the new CTF maps are awesome!

EDIT: Changing mind on acceleration.

EDIT 18th Nov: Updated movement speed and acceleration.
                  Last edited by TotesAmaze; 11-18-2014, 12:18 PM.
                  UT4: CTF-Defiance, CTF-Melt.
                  Epic - This video made me smile: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-p.../2300-6418948/
                  "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Why no double jump in ut4(without mutators)?

Comment

I have to say the movenent is starting to feel really good.

I don't like that fact that when you jump on a crate that you would think is too high it pulls you up the next step. I'm not really a fan of this an Id rather see one smooth jump to get on a ledge, you either make it or not. This is just my opinion though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lersion View Post
                        I have to say the movenent is starting to feel really good.

I don't like that fact that when you jump on a crate that you would think is too high it pulls you up the next step. I'm not really a fan of this an Id rather see one smooth jump to get on a ledge, you either make it or not. This is just my opinion though.
                        That's the "mantling" feature... and now that you mention it, it could use some enhancement.

Comment

What would help with the mantling, is if the pov was corrected. I have to assume at this point there is a really specific reason why they haven't changed it yet, but that's basically the key missing component for the UT99 feel and scaling. If the POV was at the ribs/hip/shoulders area, instead of the top of the head, it would be much closer to the spot on the model where mantling is decided, and it would be much more predictable. It may also take a slight model size increase, but it would also allow for the targets to be/look bigger, without making the POVs tower over everything.

I think mantling works well, and is smooth when you know it will work, but when you're close or not sure, it can be frustrating because you feel like if you can see over the ledge you jump near, you should be able to grab, but it doesn't work that way.
                          Originally posted by Mysterial
                          An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Oh ok I didn't know that this was actually a "feature". I agree that it works smooth, its just the idea that you can jump on things that you don't feel like you should. Its just not something that I myself enjoy. I'm not a fan of the mantling but I understand the concept.

Comment

Originally posted by sLY1838 View Post
                              Check out this older video showcasing UT99 movement/mechanics/trick jumps/rocket launches/combo launches on CTF-GoliathCaves.

Team Boosting: YES

Initially, some of these moves appear easy/unfair. Try doing them with three defenders shooting at you. Very difficult, which makes it so rewarding if you can pull them off! Team boosting is a MUST!

This video demonstrates some of the reasons why UT99 was as great as it was

The team launching with the rockets was also one of the reasons
                              UT99 was the best game I ever played
                              UT 2003 destroyed my faith in game developers
                              If you have a winning team... when making a sequel.... don't change the engine so dramatically that the soldiers look like they gained 300lbs and use the same team you had when you made the original game.
                              Movies, Books, and Games have proven this point over and over and over and over

Comment

Burnse whats that broken maps you can exploit made 99 great? Really dont see what the point of your comments are? Have you even played the pre alpha? its Ut99 but better... its not 2003/4 or 3 so really i dont see what your the problem is.
                                Join the community Facebook page
                                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Working...
                                X