Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about wall run and wall mesh geometry. Is it possible to run along the wall which has an uneven, with potholes curve geometry? Or technically possible to run only on flat walls and diagonal surfaces? Maps with flat walls looks not good with any textures and decales. It is possible to place for a wall run marked zones. And soldier could run along the curves, mountainous, destruction walls with low coefficient of depth or elevations relative to a flat wall (but he does not change the depth of the movement, or changes, if it possible). Graphically, it's looks wrong, that wall run used only on flat walls and diagonal surfaces. Or this zones were already been implemented but the walls look flat on locations.
    Last edited by Andriushka; 07-05-2016, 05:05 AM.

Comment

I am sorry if I Sound really sour about this Topic, but I had to write this somewhere down... I am an Instagib Player and when I started this UT 2 Months ago I really liked the Slide Mechanic. I know, the hitboxes are broken because of that, but it felt just right for this Game type, speaking of Speed and the Mechanic itself (how to perform it). That said, the new build ruined this Feeling I had playing Insta. Now, the whole movement feels very slow and kinda boring to me. Especially the Little jump Animation the character is doing when performing a slide while running, for me, is just the worst.

And its not just me. Many Insta Players I Chat with had the same opinion. Kinda sad actually, as many stated that they would stop playing, at least until this sliding mechanic is "fixed" again.

Maybe find a compromise between this builds slide and the last one? Get rid of the Little jump, but preserve the acceleration Control and slide Duration? Just a thought of mine...
      Last edited by ßòóm; 07-13-2016, 07:41 PM.

Comment

I concur, slide is pretty much ruined now. It didn't need to be longer. The purpose of slide was (for now) to evade hitscan and it was super entertaining I might add. Seeing a laser whizz by above your head while at the same time you headshot the enemy is one of the best feelings this game had to offer. That's not really possible anymore because slide is no-good for evading hitscan anymore, because of 2 reasons:

1) the little jump adds a delay to, which turns the guessing game of "where the player will be in the next 0.2 secs" in the enemy's favor.
        2) It's too long, which yet again favors the enemy.

I get either hit mid-air during the little jump, or the enemy just waits it out and shoots me at the end of it, because the slide is so long.

+ A lot of these changes slow down the game further. Rather than encouraging a lot of chaotic movement, the gameplay is slowly devolving into shooting around corners.

Look at what Warframe did! It is fast, crazy, slick, yet doesn't feel gimmicky like the Q3 CPMA movement system most arena fps use these days.
        Check out my work!
        | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
        | Localization

Comment

Honestly I think that both slide and wall run should be removed completely. In my opinion the game as a whole would profit from that.

The main positive aspects I see in that are:
          - Gameplay would be more focused on combat than movement, which makes it less hit and run
          - The movement would have a clear direction and be easier to learn for new players, which is important
          - Level Design would be less complicated, which is good for players and level designers
          - Hitbox issues related to those mechanics are no longer a thing

And also Sprint should be removed, it's just not a movement mechanic for a game like Unreal Tournament. I think these mechanics should all be moved to mutators and not be core mechanics of the game.
          inUnreal.de - german Unreal Tournament Fansite

Comment

I feel the new UT has more room for a lot of fluke kills than some deserved ones. Especially with the rocket launcher. In ut99 rockets traveled really slow and there was more body dislodgement when a player gets hit by a rocket. Like by a big amount. Ut99 was the most properly paced UT game imo, ut2k4 was trying to be quakish, and though it was great I always end up going back to UT 99.

Also I think they need to make the game darker just like how it was in gears of war 4 instead of applying shiny white everywhere though that's just a personal opinion.

Currently I feel the move speed is way too fast and I'm sick of all these people saying game needs to be faster. I want to be able to play the game for a lengthy amount of time and not get exhausted spamming buttons in 5 mins. I still play ut99 for hours vs harder bots and I find myself enjoying every bit of it. Faster doesn't mean better, just slow down the pace but keep the skill level intact by slowing down the projectiles and maybe increasing ttk. Right now the game feels like I need some fluke to kill.

Comment

Epic!
              Lets try do infinite wallraning whith the boots!
              +transition from wall to wall! It must be amazing stuff and addition one more movement mechanic in the game!
              do it like mutator for the start, and if it will be good, maybe do that on default.
              i already imagine how I run on all deck from higher biorifle! Wanderfull idea, isn't it?! =)

Comment

Gotta fix it so you can wall run with boots, first.
                Originally posted by Mysterial
                An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

... eeegh, yep, I guess. And also be cool change direction up and dawn. In this way we will can climb on the walls, like you want to do whith stinger shards, some time ago. At the same time, that let us don't be too easy target with predictable moving.

Comment

Originally posted by Anduriel View Post
                    Honestly I think that both slide and wall run should be removed completely. In my opinion the game as a whole would profit from that.

The main positive aspects I see in that are:
                    - Gameplay would be more focused on combat than movement, which makes it less hit and run
                    - The movement would have a clear direction and be easier to learn for new players, which is important
                    - Level Design would be less complicated, which is good for players and level designers
                    - Hitbox issues related to those mechanics are no longer a thing

And also Sprint should be removed, it's just not a movement mechanic for a game like Unreal Tournament. I think these mechanics should all be moved to mutators and not be core mechanics of the game.
                    Old post, but after thinking about it I think that is right. Combat should have more focus than gimmick movement, at the moment game favours too much "hit and run" play style and destroys aggressive and engaging play style.

Wall run should be removed for sure. Slide is a good feature in some sense, but maybe it should also be considered to be removed. But some probably think these look "cool" on screen for e-sports and therefore I don't have high hopes for removing them.

ps. UT99 had very well working scaling and movement, take a few hints from there. One suggestion is to decrease dodge length and increase dodge speed.

Just look at this video how nice the movement is in UT99 (it's a bunny track mod) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQdTs8XJLOo&t=6m40s
                    Last edited by teks1; 05-03-2017, 04:38 PM.

Comment

I actually enjoy the current movement. Most of the tweaks I would make have little to do with the mechanics. I think there should be more seamless transition between running/sliding/dodging, not as to build momentum, but as to smoothly accelerate and decelerate from one to the next. Wall running and sliding are very predictable, which is a good balance, and as out there as unlimited wall kicks can be at times, I think a higher minimum repeat time would fix most of my gripes. I also miss sprint. Even if many people didn't use it, it was useful, and no one complained about it. I think smashing the dodge key while running forward now is ridiculously tedious.

mod would take care of all of my current non-mechanical gripes.
                      Originally posted by Mysterial
                      An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

edit:moving my comment to general discussion
                        Last edited by user.9; 05-19-2017, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by user.9 View Post
                          How about adding the ability to jump off of a wall? This can be done if instead of using the jump button for wall running activation the slide(or another) button could be used instead. so one could jump on a wall and jump again for more height or jump from a wall run. This would not only add a variety of ways to evade damage and move about, but also make it easier to wall run with boots. to use boots maybe a double tap timing of jump similar to double tap dodge could be incorporated. a single tap dodge + single tap jump(combo double tap) would also activate boots. double tap jump in air falling from cliff/edge, end of dodge/jump would be necessary to activate boots-this would lessen the instances of accidentally wasting boot jumps. I have zero experience playing with double jump in previous UT's so I dont really care if its not added but just thought Id make the suggestion. my bad if someone mentioned something like this already.
                          You can dodge off a wall, and it's no cooldown so bots can even infinitely dodge between two walls lol.

Originally posted by -AEnubis- View Post
                          I actually enjoy the current movement. Most of the tweaks I would make have little to do with the mechanics. I think there should be more seamless transition between running/sliding/dodging, not as to build momentum, but as to smoothly accelerate and decelerate from one to the next. Wall running and sliding are very predictable, which is a good balance, and as out there as unlimited wall kicks can be at times, I think a higher minimum repeat time would fix most of my gripes. I also miss sprint. Even if many people didn't use it, it was useful, and no one complained about it. I think smashing the dodge key while running forward now is ridiculously tedious.

mod would take care of all of my current non-mechanical gripes.
                          I agree, movement feels good aside from those sudden speed losses and constantly dashing forward. And slide should only work after a dodge, not running.
                          Last edited by Samanie; 05-16-2017, 05:18 PM.
                          Check the Hybrid Rocket L. Here:https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...ed​​​​

Comment

I have a question-suggestion about basic movement, As I understand all movements based to WASD only. And the concrete movement has no acceleration. Animation the same and the character who uses A,D,A,D,A,D etc moves with the same speed and animation.

Why not have in game for example the acceleration when movement in one direction begins. +35 or +50% movement speed just by some steps and if the player continue hold movement button the speed change to standard speed. It has another animation set and a new set of game variables. How it may looks in theory. The first fast steps in a certain direction not be abruptly replaced by other steps until the first of the steps in the set of fast steps becomes before the speed changes to the standard one. Like a disable the press D button after press A button while the first step of A button is not ready. Some milliseconds maybe. I mean make very fast movements but build-in special war animation where after some time standard animation turns on. Players can not stand on one place in any kind of UT gameplay, but when they move itself it all looks like moving the capsule over the surface. And if developers add some special movement animations set without scecial movement rules it still looks like moving the capsule over the surface. But UT3 movement animation well done.

How may looks these fast steps in movement. Maybe like a quick feint or drift, but becouse the specific animation in the battle, and not just becouse pressing the keyboard button to change the movement direction. This "thing" gameplay based and not just to show the another animation in battle. This is like an additional rule in players movements. Something like an exoskeleton-hard-spacesuit-armor dependent elements of movement. Spacesuit can withstand several directed attacks a shock rifle and can not look like current "military-body-armor with "non-space" design". And movements are strongly associated with this. Movements like sliding on metal robot transformer. Different servomotors use and remaining airborne seams for a short time maybe. Many things in game and UT gameworld may depends on the exoskeleton-hard-spacesuit-armor.

Such a fast steps movement does not violate something fundamental in game, in duel? This is my ask. Military games as I understand use just different movement animation set but without additional rules in movement and gameplay. Just to look good and have a smooth change of animation cycles.

What is the point of what I wrote. In combat, the character also moves quickly in front of the enemy but general movement and movement (overcoming) in the territory of the location x0.35-0.5 slower. The fight itself with same speed is so complicated, but the overall process (running on location) does not look like a capsule flight in 3D scene. Ofcourse its all in theory. In order for this to work, it is necessary that the acceleration of the movement is not used constantly for normal movement when using a certain combination of keyboard clicks and rotations with the mouse, to not move yourself constantly with max speed.

Or there is an external condition, charging-discharging bar of this spacesuit-armor. If energy discharged the movements are always have normal speed. Something like so.
                            Last edited by Andriushka; 07-24-2017, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Tried it again whit a new rig...man, is this UT-THE GRANDPA' EDITION?? XD
                              Movement is still way to slow ans sluggish!
                              I get u want something new instead of an older title's remake...but:

WALL RUN: is totally useless. Others games are defined by it (titanfall) but here is just a gimmick strapped on and totally unrelated to UT gameplay. My personal advice would be...get rid of that nonsense!

SLIDE: Kinda fun, but really sluggish and not well integrated

WALL DODGE: nice!

DOUBLE JUMP/DODGE JUMP: these should be fully integrated in the game! Can be tweaked as you want to not copy them directly from UT2k4, but should definetly be in the game!

My suggestion would be: use SLIDE/WALL DODGE/DOUBLE JUMP/DODGE JUMP to be chained and comboed to make a really strong UT vibe to movement, speeding the game way up!

Comment

Movement really feels way too slow and I'm also missing the double jump/dodge jump.

Comment

Working...
                                X