This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [OFFICIAL] UT Movement Mechanics Design

Movement Mechanics is the first design topic we will be focusing on. Epic’s team will be very actively participating in the discussions in this subforum.

The UT Movement Mechanics subforum should be used for all discussions about the design of the core movement mechanics of Unreal Tournament. In some ways, it would have been nice to establish our open design process with a less controversial topic, but as movement mechanics are absolutely fundamental to the game and have major implications for other essential game systems (like level design and weapon design**), we really have to start here.

It won’t be possible to end up with a result that perfectly pleases everyone. However, I know we can end up with mechanics that feel true to Unreal Tournament, are well balanced, and enable great gameplay. While of course with mods you’ll be able to customize the movement mechanics however you’d like, it’s still vital that we establish core movement mechanics that define Unreal Tournament for general gameplay.

Please read these tips (link to sticky on how to contribute) on how to be an effective design contributor.

The initial discussions on this forum will lead to a paper design that we will implement provide a rough initial implementation of in our Deathmatch Alpha. With the Deathmatch Alpha we’ll iterate on and polish the movement mechanics based on everyone’s feedback. Once the movement mechanic design is complete, we’ll also be able to establish level design guidelines and start working on weapon design and balance.

We love seeing the movement prototypes being created! This is a fantastic way to experiment, and to demonstrate and iterate on your ideas. We'd love to see more people working on prototypes, or working with prototype developers on refining their ideas.

With that out of the way, I’m going to summarize the movement elements we are going to be talking about:

General Movement:
    • Running speed (in the past has been the same forward/back/strafing)
    • Acceleration (how fast you change direction when moving)
    • Air control (how much you can affect the direction of your movement while in the air)
    • Jump height
    • Gravity (affects how floaty the game feels. With higher gravity, even if the jump impulse is modified to result in the same jump height, you’ll spend less time in the air)
    • Dodging (fast low jump in any of the 4 cardinal movement directions, with a sudden deceleration on landing)
    • Double jump (past titles only allowed the double jump to occur at the apex of the jump. UT2004 allowed double jump during dodge, UT3 did not/)
    • Wall dodge (ability to perform a dodge while in the air away from a nearby vertical surface)
    • Impact/Rocket jumping (ability to jump extra high by jumping while point impact hammer down or using other splash/impulse providing weapon at cost of some health).
    • Team boosting (ability to provide impact/rocket jumping benefits to teammates, who take no damage in normal teamgames)

Level Designer constrained movement features:
    • Ramp boosting (ability to scale a near vertical surface by dodging into it, possible on any near vertical surface in UT2003, and only on LD permitted surfaces in UT2004)
    • Lift jumping (taking advantage of lift momentum to get a boost to your jump at the top of the lift’s path)
    • Jumppads (provide a long distance jump to a specific destination)

We can also certainly discuss and consider new movement elements.

** For example, the movement mechanics in UT2003 and UT2004 biased the game toward hitscan weapons, and also caused scale issue with interior levels which had to be built to support large scale jumps. This isn’t meant to bash those movement mechanics, which were also a lot of fun, but to point out the consequences of the design.
    Last edited by FIXMESTEVE; 05-14-2014, 12:34 PM.

Thanks for your hard work

I know this is a heated topic, after 10 years we still have two groups at each others throats

And they're not always the most fun to deal with so with that in mind i wish you and your team good luck
    Last edited by tigerclaw; 05-12-2014, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Look forward to trying the moves in deathmatch alpha. We can talk and talk about all these things, but a lot comes down to how it actually feels in-game too.

Also I need to hold off making any real solid mapping decisions until the movement is pretty well established

Comment

Hey Stephen! The info is great. I have a question about posting etiquette regarding prototyping in Unreal Editor 4, I don't know if you've seen my video on the movement mechanics I've been working on using blueprints. But I was wondering that kind of content should be in this forum for movement mechanics or stay in the Work in Progress. Technically it isn't a discussion topic and it's development. But also it's designed simply as demonstrating movement options in the engine and I wouldn't imagine any of it will get pushed on github. So it's not technically Work in Progress since it isn't going to be further developed. If you'd prefer that kind of material here if a mod could move it that would be great.

Thanks again.
        "Gilanguar"

Comment

I want to say thanks too. You guys are fearless taking on this task.
          I can only hope that somehow this community could be united.... all playing the same UT....
          Good luck.

Comment

Hello! This was my original post concerning the new UT movement.

Originally posted by darksinn3r View Post
            In my opinion movement needs to be designed with animation in mind.
            There are two (at least) perspectives: yours and the enemy's!
            1. Regarding double-jump I propose the following: double jump needs to stay but will be used also as a defensive manoeuvre! I like to fly but I don't want to be killed in mid air .
            The initial jump should be high, approximately 70% of player's hight. The double jump should reach at 100% which is double the high of the player's model.
            It will be visually represented by a roll in mid air not like been propelled in mid air by invisible rocket busters.
            This will force the player to land at higher speed than just falling. It will be like a nerfed downwards dodge but will allow you to reach higher just like original double jump.
            2. The animation principle will be also applied into dodge. Your body will jump into 30-45 degree angle for 70% of your high then do a side roll in mid air equal to 1.7 times of your body high and then land the same way as you started.
            3. I think that dodge jump should be removed.
            4. Keep that wall dodge as it was!
            UT2k3 was the first ut I played against real players (not bots) and I was always amazed by the acrobatic animations of player models!
            My real suggestion here is to re-introduce those crazy animations!

Also!

• Running speed -- 2k4 or higher
            • Acceleration -- 2k4
            • Air control -- 2k4
            • Jump height -- my post above
            • Gravity -- ut3 (I want to feel able to perform all those crazy movements but not feel like floating...)
            • Dodging -- 2k4
            • Double jump -- my post above
            • Wall dodge -- yes
            • Impact/Rocket jumping -- yes!
            • Team boosting -- yes!
            • Ramp boosting -- yes!
            • Lift jumping -- yes! (on all lifts )
            • Jumppads -- yes!
            Maps:||DM-TournamentGrounds||CTF-TitanGuard||DM-RelentlessMachine||
            Weapons:||Tridium Impaler||

Comment

Same as in UT200x, maybe a bit faster. But won't that make a normal dodge (if the same length in UT99/UT200x) less important for getting faster around the map?

Instantly change directions. It is horrible when there is a delay. Feels like lag to me. Even if it is coded into it.

• Air control (how much you can affect the direction of your movement while in the air)
              Some but not to much. Can't really say it any better.

• Jump height
              Just enough to hop over a rocket that is aimed at your chest.

• Gravity (affects how floaty the game feels. With higher gravity, even if the jump impulse is modified to result in the same jump height, you’ll spend less time in the air)
              UT2003

• Dodging (fast low jump in any of the 4 cardinal movement directions, with a sudden deceleration on landing)
              Yes, UT2003 style.

• Double jump (past titles only allowed the double jump to occur at the apex of the jump. UT2004 allowed double jump during dodge, UT3 did not/)
              Yes, it takes predictability a bit more away when you see someone go in the air. Also when done next to a wall and someone expects you to do a wall dodge you have a bit more fall height to choose from when you wall dodge. Gives you more survival chance in a open area. Same for the Dodge Jump (double jump during dodge).

• Wall dodge (ability to perform a dodge while in the air away from a nearby vertical surface)
              Yes, it takes predictability a bit more away when you see someone go in the air next to a wall.

• Impact/Rocket jumping (ability to jump extra high by jumping while point impact hammer down or using other splash/impulse providing weapon at cost of some health).
              Yes, it adds escape routes and trick jumping.

• Team boosting (ability to provide impact/rocket jumping benefits to teammates, who take no damage in normal teamgames)
              Server based optional.

• Ramp boosting (ability to scale a near vertical surface by dodging into it, possible on any near vertical surface in UT2003, and only on LD permitted surfaces in UT2004)
              Yes, it's fun.

• Lift jumping (taking advantage of lift momentum to get a boost to your jump at the top of the lift’s path)
              Yes, it's fun to catch someone with a upskirt shot with any type of weapon.

Yes, they provide some nice jumps, fun moments, quick movement and sometimes frustration.

I personally like the sliding feature someone pointed out. That is if implemented correct. Crouching is already used often as a movement option to throw your opponent off. Sliding sounds to me like a crouching dodge, which could be fun.
              http://www.europedirectshopping.nl/UEsignature.jpg

Comment

Remove double jump, keep wall dodging
                Thank you Steve for the thread
                http://i.imgur.com/6dJ1rdc.jpg

Comment

Dont forget the shield jump from UT2003 and UT2004 please. Turned lots of tense duels with a surprise jump Was also funny failing the jump with low HP from time to time

To the general movement I agree with the people posted above me. The boost jump was so awesome in UT2003, definitely give it a try in the next one!
                  http://s7.directupload.net/images/140512/6fsxkjao.png

Comment

"I have a question about posting etiquette regarding prototyping in Unreal Editor 4, I don't know if you've seen my video on the movement mechanics I've been working on using blueprints. But I was wondering that kind of content should be in this forum for movement mechanics or stay in the Work in Progress."

It's great that you are prototyping movement ideas. This forum is definitely the right place to post on that topic.

Comment

Originally posted by vaderz View Post
                      Dont forget the shield jump from UT2003 and UT2004 please. Turned lots of tense duels with a surprise jump Was also funny failing the jump with low HP from time to time

To the general movement I agree with the people posted above me. The boost jump was so awesome in UT2003, definitely give it a try in the next one!
                      Please do forget everything about the shield gun... in fact forgetting ut2k3 and 2k4 would be best in making this game successful.

General Movement:
                      Running speed -although I thought UT3 was by far superior in terms of movement to 2k3 and 2k4 it did feed a litter heavy sometimes, so i'd go ut99
                      Air control -I would say one of the most popular mods for UT99 was bun*ny track. I think allowing people to have real control of where they land would bring that community to the game
                      Dodging - UT99, fast and simple
                      Double jump - The single worst thing you could do is reimplement the ability of being able to jump during a dodge. It made the game feel slower, made players more predicatable (despite the views of gitzz), made maps larger which turned ut into a completely different game where players spent 90% of matches running away from each other. I'd also strongly recommend not implementing double jump... its slow and just adds unecessary map design... "oh great a ledge thats slightly to high, guess i'll have to double jump that one".... adds nothing. Instead map designers should be thinking about power up control, weapon placements dodge distances etc.
                      Wall dodge - you should keep this feature. It isn't game changing and is a nice little addition
                      Impact/Rocket jumping - despite the views of 'gitzz' which i suspect isn't really him, the impact hammer is a great utility in game. It isn't meant to be used as a means of moving across the map... its to gain access to areas you are unable to get to from your current map position. You sacrifice 2 seconds of loading time to get a belt or to get up a level. You can easily get high boosts using the impact hammer with an almost instant cast.
                      Team boosting - This is just silly, for starters it means you can just spam rockets anywhere you like with no chance of killing your team mates, secondly why bother with dodging or impact hammer when i can get across the map easily with a team mates rocket up my ****.

Ramp boosting - seems like it could promote lazy map designs, forget having to do a perfect wall dodge or quick switch to impact hammer and boost up... instead i'll just ramp dodge up there. Could be useful for ***** track but I would limit as to how much of a vertical lift you can get from this.
                      Lift jumping - don't see why this is even up for discussion. lift jumping isn't game changing and as far as i'm aware its been in all uts without any complaints.
                      Jumppads - this is a shooting game... leave the jump pads and boost pads for mario kart...

I'm slightly biased i much prefer the movement in ut99 and i think UT3 was significantly better than 2k3 and 2k4. It doesn't mean that personally i'm not open to further suggestions or ideas on movement. I just think we should move away from boost dodging which was a terrible mechanic.
                      Last edited by reloaded; 05-12-2014, 08:43 PM.

Comment

I can get back to unreal tournament 2004.
                        The spacemaps are epic where when outside you move slowly through space and are prone to shock rifles but inside you move and jump like normal.

But in general it should just stay like ut2004 because i feel thats how UT should be. Double tap w a s or d dodges to that direction and if followed up by spacebar you move forward. This allows for some nice dodging and jumping around where players have little time to respond to "where is this player touching the ground again so i can hit my biocannon/flak grenade/rocket launcher in close combat.
                        For the rest normal movement speed should remain desame too. The method i just destibed should again make people able to move a -little- faster.
                        Also movement speed should definatly remain desame for every direction.

With air/space control, again ut2004...you can move like normal but still have a little bit of influence.

Double jump from double spacebar....i think it will be nice not really that important.

Lift jumping: DEFINATLY! You die anyway when going down from high altitude but can still fire some snipes or rockets! Its also nice to snipe those persons down. Don't forget lift jumping!

Jumppads: ofcource! In fact what would be the logic to remove this...i mean a map designer can put it in or not right?

I'm open to sliding but we need to think about how to do that. I mean if all normal movements are desame, and there is no gain in running speed....why would we want to slide then? It would be desame speed but maybe making the character hitbox smaller? I don't know this could mess up snipings and stuff.

Comment

Steven

There's another alpha testing solution which can be easily implimented for movement testing, without the use of weapons

Bunnytrack, in a cut down form this UT99 mod is only about movement

There are thousands of simple and complicated BT maps which can be taken from for testing, the inclusion of a single trace hit weapon such as primary shock also allows people to test hitting targets whilst moving, which is basically just testing mouse and keyboard co-ordination

With this we can effectively test;

All forms of dodging and jumping
                          Ramp dodging
                          Air control(a massively important factor in getting the feel of the movement right)
                          Bounce pads
                          Lift jumping

Whilst bunnytrack uses flags there's no need for this, all we need are the obstacles

Here's an example of some BT maps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbr1KE-uLn8

This way movement can be tested for longer and perfected easily, as there are many skilled UT players who focus on their movement

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Polge View Post
                            Movement Mechanics is the first design topic we will be focusing on. Epic’s team will be very actively participating in the discussions in this subforum.

The UT Movement Mechanics subforum should be used for all discussions about the design of the core movement mechanics of Unreal Tournament. In some ways, it would have been nice to establish our open design process with a less controversial topic, but as movement mechanics are absolutely fundamental to the game and have major implications for other essential game systems (like level design and weapon design**), we really have to start here.

It won’t be possible to end up with a result that perfectly pleases everyone. However, I know we can end up with mechanics that feel true to Unreal Tournament, are well balanced, and enable great gameplay. While of course with mods you’ll be able to customize the movement mechanics however you’d like, it’s still vital that we establish core movement mechanics that define Unreal Tournament for general gameplay.

Please read these tips (link to sticky on how to contribute) on how to be an effective design contributor.

The initial discussions on this forum will lead to a paper design that we will implement provide a rough initial implementation of in our Deathmatch Alpha. With the Deathmatch Alpha we’ll iterate on and polish the movement mechanics based on everyone’s feedback. Once the movement mechanic design is complete, we’ll also be able to establish level design guidelines and start working on weapon design and balance.

With that out of the way, I’m going to summarize the movement elements we are going to be talking about:

General Movement:
                            • Jump height

** For example, the movement mechanics in UT2003 and UT2004 biased the game toward hitscan weapons, and also caused scale issue with interior levels which had to be built to support large scale jumps. This isn’t meant to bash those movement mechanics, which were also a lot of fun, but to point out the consequences of the design.
                            Sorry, I did post this in another thread, but it's extremely relevant here. The vehicle section seems off topic, but it's not -- the movement of the game will dictate map sizes/scale and other design, which most definitely could affect vehicles and how they perform in contrast to how the player character performs....

I'm not biased, I've literally played every single Unreal franchise game -- also, since the announcement, I've been playing them all quite a bit in rotation -- '99 -> 2K4 -> III, below is how I feel about all three NOW, no nostalgia goggles on.

'99 is the best game in the series and UT3 has the best balance. The 2K series screwed the pooch/jumped the shark, especially so by adding in Onslaught.

Onslaught is NOT Unreal. It's Halo/Battlefield. It's not an Arena based game, and since the weapons are designed around being trapped in an Arena, it's an awful game, it's a whole bunch of people running around with the Lightning gun/shock rifle, hitscanning you to death over huge distances... It's not fun.

Now I'm not against vehicles outright, I'm more against the entire game mode of ONS/Warfare.

Unreal Tournament and Unreal Tournament 2003 both have Assault mode... this mode is the one that should be fleshed out while ONS gets clipped.

Vehicles can exist in Assault mode, just as long as they are only on some maps, and only for certain phases of the attack.... Like "Breach the fortress" -- okay, so we roll up in vehicles until we get inside, then the vehicles are done.

2K's scaling was all messed up, the people too tiny because the maps too large, the movement speed on the tiny people too high, and the ability to change directions mid air with the double jump gave too many jukes. Jumping in an Arena game is supposed to be used tactically, being airborne is bad because there should be a rocket at your landing, also -- the higher your are, the easier you are to pick off with the LG/Sniper/Railgun. Allowing people to just change directions mid air ruins the entire delicate balance of the game and raises the skill ceiling beyond "Pro" to "Robot" levels.

The other, not so obvious, but at the same time still glaring issue with 2K4, is that -- the added movement options, the extra jukes, destroy your ability to play online. At a ping of 100, you almost can't hit anybody with anything, because you have to lead your target, but how do you lead a target that can change direction at ALL times in angles as extreme as 90º/180º at will in all scenarios -- when they are in the air, by a wall, on the ground, nothing stops you from moving right and then going left, even in the air. There is no conservation of momentum, therefor, no reliable way to predict opponent movement, so ping advantage is the absolute strongest in the 2K series... This is a huge problem now, since most of the active servers ping over 100 for me, and I'm based out of Florida.

The only way "Double" Jump could work, is if you didn't have air control on the second jump. The only way it could work, is if when you initiated the second jump, you kept the momentum you had prior to the second jump. Being able to jump forward, and then use your second jump, to jump backwards passed your starting point ruins your ability to predict movement, which is by and large a SUPER HUGE part of what makes arena games successful. Also, double jump height would have to be reduced, because the second side effect of the double jump, invalidates the use of rockets and other splash damage weapons by allowing you to extremely dampen the damage by jumping out of it's splash radius. This is why double jumping should be removed, or replaced by a powerup like the jump boots. [In UT4, we could have Jump Boots and Super Jump Boots, where normal jump boots, give you 6 double jumps and super jump boots give you 3 super jumps.]

While the "Double Jump" and "Dodge Long Jump" are "cool" the damage they actually do to the weapon balance and your ability to predict player movement is waaaaaaay too severe, this is the reason why 2K only survives by ONS and Invasion. Because ONS has gigantic maps and being on foot is generally a death sentence since the vehicles are so strong, hitscan long range weapons like LG and Shock are dominant here when on foot, and over larger distances, it's easier to acquire your target/predict his movement, since he's generally focused on getting from A --> B and invasion because it was Coop, and you weren't shooting at other players that had these abilities. As much as the 2K only community is vocal, they are indeed the minority as all the '99 players and most of the III players agree that the double jump/long jump is what destroyed the continuity of the game.

Also, if we look at all "Successful" arena games, they all have one thing in common, conservation of momentum. From Tribes --> Quake --> Unreal Tournament '99 --> CPMA they all have that one thing in common, you carry your momentum and cannot change on a dime. While CPMA gave you a metric ton of air control, you still had to maintain a vector. This allows opponents the ability to predict your movement. Same with Tribes, you had to maintain your vector, despite flying around with jetpacks, you couldn't be moving forward at 100mph and suddenly decide you wanted to move in the exact opposite direction and just bounce back on a dime, you'd come to a stop and then have to build your speed from scratch with a slow acceleration curve. Same with CPMA. And Quake, while it allowed you to move really fast, you couldn't change directions on a dime without doing a "trick" jump, which caused a hefty amount of damage to yourself, much like impact hammer jumping in UT. This is why UT '99 has the best foundation, because at it's core, it KNEW it wanted to be an Arena game -- the Dodge and Alt fire were it's gimmicks over quake, and even though the dodge gave you a juke, it was still VERY possible to predict player movement, because once you initiated a dodge, you were STUCK on your vector until you landed, same thing with Jumping, as long as you were airbound, you were predictable. In 2K, I could be running straight at you, Jump into the air, and then woopsie, jump again to the right, and literally change my vector by 90º instantaneously. You could also jump forwards, and then backwards, or forward and right, to back, you had waaaaay too much control and being in the air was no longer a deficit, but the SAFEST place to be, which is exactly 100% opposite of the very core that makes an arena game work... this invalidated every weapon that wasn't hitscan, and even made sniper shots virtually impossible to predict, the shots that land, are mostly luck that you guessed right than skill proving that you could aim. This also made the game exponentially harder the higher your ping was, because having a high ping = a delay, which means you have to LEAD targets, leading targets is impossible if they can change their vector at will.

Wall Dodging was a SOLID gameplay mechanic and an overall improvement to the base game, it was only situationally useful and still left you vulnerable to prediction provided it didn't catch your opponent off guard.

So in short, I don't care if you EFFIN LOVED 2k4, the design is broken logically, and if they choose this route as the base game [double jumps/dodge long jumping/ignoring the conservation of momentum] UT4 will be dead before it ever starts.
                            General Movement:
                            • Running speed -- Keep this very close to UT '99 [Not too much slower or faster, but start with '99's as the base and ultimately we have to make sure it feels genuinely good]

• Acceleration -- All UT games have pretty acceptable baselines for movement acceleration.

• Air control -- Should be 0 in the traditional sense. You should not be able to jump forwards and in the air move backwards. Slow your self down, sure, have control in curves, sure [Q3CPMA style] but you CANNOT have fluid air control that ignores the conservation of momentum, this is critical to the core enemy "prediction" part of the game. If someone is moving forward and they jump, they must maintain forward velocity, always, even if you don't remove double jumps, even if they can turn, IF they can turn, the turning arc should be shallow. CPMA or LESS. [Challenge Pro Mod Arena for Quake 3 is a great example of how to maintain the conservation of momentum, but allow players lee way to influence their direction, we're talking bank turns like an air plane or a car, not 90º turns like a UFO.] Your ability to predict the movement of your opponent is intrinsically tied to the concept of conservation of momentum. If players can air juke like the 2K series, the damage caused to the weapon balance and the reliability of player prediction is unfixable.

• Jump height -- Doesn't matter very much, a slightly higher jump than UT '99 would be fine if we remove the double jump and have the gravity proportioned to NOT give you a ridiculous hang time, moon jumping should stay on the moon maps.

• Gravity -- A little less heavy than UT III, UT '99 is probably the best baseline, but it should be tweaked to stay in proportion to the jump height. It shouldn't be floaty, but you shouldn't feel like you're legs are made of steel. If it's too floaty, jumping becomes too dangerous, if it's too heavy, jumping becomes too safe.

• Dodging - This is perfect as is, in all games but could use it's own bind [shift + w/a/s/d] since double tapping isn't really intuitive to a lot of people and actual finger dexterity requirements will be different on every unique keyboard [some keyboards are really spongy with tons of space between pressed and not pressed, and some are hard contact style buttons with less distance to travel, if you have a spongy keyboard, UT is downright not fun to play.] Keep double tapping, but also add a "Dodge" modifier please.

• Double jump -- REMOVED

• Wall dodge -- Something in between 2K and III, less boosting on the way up and less absorption on the way down than UT 3.

• Impact/Rocket jumping -- Rockets should maintain their suicidal damage, and therefor should not permit you to RJ. IJ is guaranteed.

• Team boosting -- Is a fantastic addition to any Arena game, it adds a layer of teamwork to the Arena cake. Shock Rifle pushing/Rocket Bouncing are both solid options for team boosting. Shock Rifle helps you push teammates carrying objectives, you see this the most in InstaCTF/Freezetag game modes all the time, for boosting flag runners/moving frozen enemies around to more defensible locations.

• Ramp boosting -- Solid, keep it. [Core]

• Lift jumping -- Solid, Keep it. [Core]

• Jumppads -- Solid, Keep it. [Core]
                            Last edited by Laokin; 05-12-2014, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Polge View Post
                              The cons most certainly outweighed the pros for me here. Not that I haven't been plenty vocal about this thus far, though I do enjoy hearing my sentiments echoed almost verbatim by someone at Epic.
                              Originally posted by Mysterial
                              An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Working...
                              X