Dodge Jumping: Rephrasing Your Complaints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dodge Jumping: Rephrasing Your Complaints

The biggest complaint I see about UT2k's dodge jumping mechanic was that it made the movement "too floaty". Almost every thread I see this complaint, and it's the prevailing argument I see against the mechanic. The dodge jump isn't what caused the "problem", though. The problem was gravity.

The dodge jump itself isn't an issue. The issue people take offense to is how dodge jumping off gave you so much hang time. Dodge jumping itself doesn't actually control how long you're in the air. The mechanic that you're looking for is player gravity. The dodge jump doesn't inherently give you a massive boost of verticality; it just takes advantage of the game's low gravity optimally.

If you have a problem with the dodge jump due to the way you input it, or how much ground it covers, or the animation, please properly phrase it as such. If you have a problem with the dodge jump because it made the game "too floaty", then you don't ACTUALLY have a problem with dodge jumping. You have a problem with UT2k's gravity. To avoid confusion, please realize the difference and word it appropriately.

My complaint is that it' button mashy (left left jump right right jump left left jump back back jump)
    floaty is not the issue. Button mashiness is the issue. Keep it and have an alternative method to perform the move. Please don't make me have to macro it again. In Ut3 for Ps3 (on keyboard and mouse with double dodge jump mod of course) in order to dodge jump all u had to do was just hold down the jump button while holding a direction. Single press for a normal jump, hold button down for a long jump. That is way better than left left jump right right jump left left jump right right jump. Have double tap method as well. Give people the freedom to choose.

Comment

Originally posted by kronx View Post
      My complaint is that it' button mashy (left left jump right right jump left left jump back back jump)
      floaty is not the issue. Button mashiness is the issue. Keep it and have an alternative method to perform the move. Please don't make me have to macro it again. In Ut3 for Ps3 (on keyboard and mouse with double dodge jump mod of course) in order to dodge jump all u had to do was just hold down the jump button while holding a direction. Single press for a normal jump, hold button down for a long jump. That is way better than left left jump right right jump left left jump right right jump. Have double tap method as well. Give people the freedom to choose.
      i personaly would prefere it too, but the doubletap timing is kind of a control award, you have to manage to time all your taps, i think it would maybe make the game easier?

its kind of an overall gamedesign decision, are u willing to allow the simple ways possible to control the game or do you want some finger skills that have to be required.
      Last edited by bpc; 05-13-2014, 06:33 AM.

Comment

I'm playing with the concept in engine that if you dodge on the ground you gain height, if you dodge in the air you lose height.
        "Gilanguar"

Comment

I understand that the input for a dodge jump isn't easy for everyone. UT2k4 had an option to increase or decrease the leniency of the input timing, but it didn't completely fix the problem, and some people just don't like the input. But that's a problem with the input mapping, not the mechanic itself. Personally, I'd suggest for allowing as many input options as possible. Checkbox for "double tap to dodge" along with a dedicated dodge input in the key binding so people can map it to whatever they want.

But this is better discussion than "dodge jumps are awful don't put them in the game" (which isn't a "wrong" opinion to have, but isn't worded accurately). Better communication leads to better discussion, which solves problems and gets work done.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilanguar View Post
            I'm playing with the concept in engine that if you dodge on the ground you gain height, if you dodge in the air you lose height.
            Wow, that's really cool! Do you plan on making a thread about it? I'd love to watch your progress.

EDIT: I found it. Really cool stuff.
            Last edited by Oreo; 05-13-2014, 07:07 AM.

Comment

I like this +1

Comment

so they are putting wall dodge in UT4 which is the exact same key presses as dodge jump just in reverse order... ZOMG the key mashing!
                DANG YOU UT2K4 KIDS! GET OFF MY LAWN!

Comment

You could make dodge jump the same distance as a regular dodge and "fix" it, but that makes the mechanic useless and there is no reason to even have it at that point. Steve's character is going to be easy to add dodge jump to in a mutator so I would just focus on that path if you absolutely can't live without it.
                  HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                  BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

a mutator is an option.. I also still have hopes that there will be more movement options in vehicle gametypes. Hopefully Onslaught can get back the popularity it had in 2k4..
                    DANG YOU UT2K4 KIDS! GET OFF MY LAWN!

Comment

Originally posted by sanch3z View Post
                      a mutator is an option.. I also still have hopes that there will be more movement options in vehicle gametypes. Hopefully Onslaught can get back the popularity it had in 2k4..
                      I would like Onslaught to have a movement system closer to XMP, personally.
                      HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                      BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Working...
                      X