Great Rescalening: a "new" movement base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, just got done making it.

I was/am strongly considering scaling the character back down, but several issues currently prevent that from being possible.

UPDATE
    Sprint put back to default for now
    Impulse imparted by weapons now launches players up to the same height as in the default game, this makes rocket jumps etc work as before.
    Dodge delay between dodges slightly reduced.

Download
    https://ut.rushbase.net/Stolid/99HCM...wsNoEditor.pak

Comment

Originally posted by Stolid View Post
      Yup, just got done making it.

I was/am strongly considering scaling the character back down, but several issues currently prevent that from being possible.

UPDATE
      Sprint put back to default for now
      Impulse imparted by weapons now launches players up to the same height as in the default game, this makes rocket jumps etc work as before.
      Dodge delay between dodges slightly reduced.

Download
      https://ut.rushbase.net/Stolid/99HCM...wsNoEditor.pak
      Awesome Might actually enjoy the build with this.

Comment

Nice job with the dodge reset interval change, feels like an improvement over both your old value and the current Epic default value. After having some more time to adjust to the higher gravity, I'm finding I like the idea more and more. I think UT4 would benefit from higher gravity, just not sure exactly how much. Maybe a figure between your value and the Epic default value, but leaning closer to yours.

Comment

Gonna test it tonight even so first concept was pretty much awesome

Comment

After some testing offline yesterday I still think strafing feels a tad too slow and dodge is like borderline too fast but if it's more of the case that strafing being too slow or dodge slightly too fast it's difficult to say but it "feels" like dodge is closer to being appropriate and strafing for me feels slightly bit lackluster. The strafing feels roughly as much too slow here as it feels too fast in the official build. Obviously the new player scaling does impact the feel and I'd still prefer like 5% downscale from here and we'd be right up the alley where I'd feel it's perfect me thinks.

Everything else I really enjoy though, the dodge reset time for me feels quite perfect like this.

I'd probably personally test decreasing gravity a very tiny bit (3~5%?) and make the strafing slightly faster (~10%'ish maybe? Possibly up to 15%, difficult to say without knowing where your values are at versus official, would be easier to tell exact amount if knowing the exact figures) from here so it lands somewhere in between the current official build and the current settings here.
            Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 02-15-2016, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Strafing has several components so it's not that easy to say what's different and what is responsible for what is felt.
              In the previous build the eye height was pretty much where it had to be, accel was higher, friction was higher and max running speed was lower than where they "should" be.
              In the current build the eye height is higher, accel is lower, friction is higher and max running speed is still lower.

In this mutator the eye height is still high like current build (can't change it), accel is in between previous and current build, friction lower and max running speed faster than both builds.
              With the correct eye height the strafing feels quite good IMO, but since the mutator is slightly slower than previous build already it feels slow at first, just like strafing in the current default build feels slower than it did.

Comment

[MENTION=12687]Stolid[/MENTION] hey dude, any plans to update this mutator for current build? I liked testing this with UP weapons.
                UT ingame alias: nukkuj
                Youtube Twitch Twitter

Comment

Yes, just updated the link and uploaded it to the UP servers.

UPDATE
                  Hacky fix to make liftjumps go the same height as they do on stock. This mainly effects superfast lifts like the one on DM-Chill to armor vest.
                  Reduced the eye height to be in between where it used to be and where current stock is. Since I still can't reduce the character height I don't want to go lower as opponents will look like giants compared to you, but this does make first person speed feel closer to where it has to be again.

Comment

Is the update available on Prime hub ?
                    Cunni, 37 years old, 16 years of UT, 90% CTF, 10% Duel
                    https://www.twitch.tv/cunni_ut
                    http://plays.tv/u/Cunni
                    Discord PUG Community

Comment

Yes, UP servers = Prime hubs.

Comment

Probably about time for an update to this.

Recreated the character using time dilation which the previous UT games also used. The difference is that only the character runs on a different time with this mutator, not the entire game.
                        This simplifies certain things, but could also cause some bugs.

Update

It is now possible to adjust the scale of characters, so that's what I did. Instead of scaling it back to exactly where it was, I decided to see what else I could do.
                        I ended up with changing the height of the mesh to 105% from 115%, but kept the widths at 115%. This makes all characters noticeably more bulky, IMO closer to the look of previous games.
                        Eye height lowered back down to where it was.

Animation speed reduced by 25%. This makes opponents movement appear a lot less chaotic and easier to track.

I also decided to move away from the slower deceleration that has been in the game for quite a while now. It is now back to where it was in previous games.

Download
                        https://multiplayerforums.com/files/...core-movement/

Comment

Nice, I really like how the characters look now, they certainly seem beefier than UT4 defaults. I think you went a bit too far with the deceleration though, it feels more like it did in some of the early UT4 builds. UT99 has a very slight but noticeable deceleration, but in this version of your mutator it's almost instant. Not necessarily a bad thing but it does feel a bit weird.

Comment

I'd have to do some measurements as to how far away it is from UT99 now. It should be closer to it than to stock UT4, but I don't have any numbers on it. Taking such a short time in UT99 also makes measuring it more difficult and prone to a high margin of error.

Comment

Decel should be correct now.

Updated file is available at the same link
                              https://multiplayerforums.com/files/...core-movement/

Comment

Yep, feels like UT99 now.

Comment

Working...
                                X