Where is WALK?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is WALK?

I was confused why walk movement was taken out of UT3 and here on UT4 it seems to be missing too. This is a key move because it allows you to scroll cliffs then dodge off without falling.

Originally posted by nAnxiety View Post
    I was confused why walk movement was taken out of UT3 and here on UT4 it seems to be missing too. This is a key move because it allows you to scroll cliffs then dodge off without falling.
    just crouch

Comment

Originally posted by nAnxiety View Post
      Originally posted by R.Riddick View Post
      just crouch
      Yes just crouch.

You are always running, you cannot walk, as @R.Riddick said just crouch.

FYI If you keep moving forward after a while you will speed up again. You know you've achieved this when you hear the character breathing.
      Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

Originally posted by cafe
        Although, having walk for avoiding falling off ledges could help solve the problem of unintentionally sliding off of ledges when intending to crouch. Just a thought.
        This happens to me a lot, especially on Command where I then unintentionally slide into the slime which for some reason causes the server to crash lol. This exact scenario has happened at least 4 times.
        Creator of NewNet for UT99

Comment

Seems like a no brainer. I am constantly missing walk when playing UT3 and this, I used it in UT and Ut2k4 for years. Its what made scaling walls easy. In UT3 I ended up using duck to scale walls, I just had to let go of duck when dodging. In this game I just end up sliding when I try to scale. Its made my movement technique useless.

Comment

In '99 'walk' was also good for performing a front dodge while tight against a sloped wall, an integral movement option for us BunnyTrackers.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------
            UT4 nick: StryphZ`
            UT99 nick: SAFeSTeR

My PlaysTV
            Frag-ments: UT4 movie starring SAFeSTeR a.k.a. StryphZ`

Frag-ments (Part II): UT4 pre alpha movie starring StryphZ`

Comment

in 2k4 crouching basically turned you into a magical headshot hitbox. i used walk to keep quiet in duels a lot. :[

Comment

I would love to see walk added back into the game. Like cafe said, it'd solve the problem of accidentally sliding off of ledges when meaning to crouch.
                Unreal Tournament CTFer.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972651604/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKP...VxhOU682oNmUEQ

Comment

Crouch gives you the functionality of walk without having to have a 3rd state. Can someone give one example of where walk gave any real benefit over crouch-walk other than "we could do it before"?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
                    Crouch gives you the functionality of walk without having to have a 3rd state. Can someone give one example of where walk gave any real benefit over crouch-walk other than "we could do it before"?
                    The eye height remains the same, so you can have a larger vantage point over the map. Also, it removes the possibility of accidentally sliding off of ledges when pressing crouch (I do it quite often, and others do too I believe).
                    Unreal Tournament CTFer.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972651604/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKP...VxhOU682oNmUEQ

Comment

I would like walk too, it's faster than crouch and keeps the eye height the same and has essentially no downside (I personally don't see having an extra key to bind as a disadvantage).
                      :|

Comment

Originally posted by Orion` View Post
                        The eye height remains the same, so you can have a larger vantage point over the map. Also, it removes the possibility of accidentally sliding off of ledges when pressing crouch (I do it quite often, and others do too I believe).
                        Originally posted by Flikswich View Post
                        I would like walk too, it's faster than crouch and keeps the eye height the same and has essentially no downside (I personally don't see having an extra key to bind as a disadvantage).
                        1) Due to the addition of slide to Crouch, you cannot directly transition from run to slower motion without a slide first.
                        You have to stop first, press crouch, then press movement key.

2) you lose height advantage.

3) Adds an additional element of misdirection when in close combat:
                        3.1) Dodge
                        3.2) Strafe
                        3.3) Strafe Walk
                        3.4) Jump

Until I get my Ultimate Hacking Keyboard, I'm using Shift as Jump as I have Single Tap Dodge on Space, so if you want to wait till July I'd be fine with that. :P
                        As I'll be using the Space button (not key) for walk, Mod key for Single Tap Dodge and keep jump as shift key - Or maybe mix them around again....time will tell
                        Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

From a modding perspective, a new boundable action like for adding sprint mechanism. Or use "Walk" as modifier. Could also be used for vehicles.

The other benefit depends on the actual implementation. If crouch is slower than walk, but both reduce/remove the footsteps, walk might be superioer but that quickly makes crouch redudant (and only to be used for physical barriers).

Another importance of the walk feature was free-roam spectating (which speeds up the flying).

Other than that, I had no problems of the missing real-walk feature in UT3, I never used it much in past games and I am not missing it in this new UT. However, I miss being able to use the default bound walk in mods.

PS: "we could do it before"... what's the reason for feigning then?
                          Last edited by RattleSN4K3; 01-02-2016, 06:59 PM.
                          ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
                          ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Originally posted by Flikswich View Post
                            This is perhaps the best reason to remove it, it doesnt have a downside or disadvantage! I dont dislike the concept of walk I just think it needs to be balanced with the rest of the movement so its not a crutch like it has been in the past. I just see it as a helper that takes skill away from the game, that a button press isnt skillful in and of itself, I do see the need to stop oneself from falling off a ledge but why not try not pressing crouch which activates a slide and just using the movement keys to stop you, the friction in this game is very high and theres not alot of momentum.
                            Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

1: Ability to dodge and jump while walking. Can't do this while crouching.
                              2: Slower and quieter movement while keeping the crosshairs at normal height.
                              3. Perhaps walking could be faster than crouching, but still slower than running.
                              4: Could be used for precision landing as opposed to the current crouch that leads to accidental ground slides off ledges.
                              5: It looks badass while walking away and not looking at the explosion.

A disadvantage to walking would be that you're an easier target to hit because you're moving slower but your hitbox remains the same size, unlike while crouching.

Comment

Working...
                              X