Where is WALK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
    Other than that, I had no problems of the missing real-walk feature in UT3, I never used it much in past games and I am not missing it in this new UT. However, I miss being able to use the default bound walk in mods.
    I remember reading a few articles and posts about this for duel. Not being able to move silently at all puts things heavily in the in control players hands, even more so with the apparently ridiculous audio tweaks available that were available/widely used in ut3. Game is broken if they only way of being silent is standing still and players can hear everything on the map from almost everywhere.

Footsteps could almost be removed and regular movement could become silent. Dodge/other movement becomes the audio cues as it is faster to do move in this manner so most players will do so. Crouch can stay as crouch. Maybe add footsteps to sprint, but in the current setup it is sort of useless and probably doesn't need the "drawback"/sound cue beyond its current drawbacks. This would potentially speed up the game.

Walk should be for walk and crouch should be for crouch, however the discussion here is always crouch for not falling off edges/walk for not falling off edges. The base "movement" needs to be addressed or maybe both walk and crouch could be removed and replaced with a "not fall off edge" button.
    Posts are about duel unless otherwise specified. ut duel shortcomings | What is timing? | dm-twentyseven

Comment

Hearing footsteps is one tactical aspect of gameplay in general (in every game tbh). Removing this would dump down UT heavily (and by just dumping once specific feature, likely everything will be dumped down making it a pure arcade game without any depth). The sounds tweaks are another topic. In general, I like to have walk being not usable but crouch. Because of the similarity and the advantage of walk over crouch which some of you guys mentioned. If every player can walk in a specific interval to reduce their footsteps, why having footsteps at all? Crouch just adds the one disadvantage that you may have to adjust your crosshair but also adds the advantage of a reduce hitbox. I think the default game settings should be somehow understandable and dynamic. It should be immersive Unreal world and not a muted picmip 3D chess game.

Regarding sounds tweaks: For every pro community there could be mods or options to remove any player sounds. Such as the mutator I did for UT3 based on a request I got from a Duel community.

About general tweaks. There will likely be a system to check these settings and prevent players from playing the game (competitivly) if these are changed too much.
      ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
      ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
        Hearing footsteps is one tactical aspect of gameplay in general (in every game tbh). Removing this would dump down UT heavily (and by just dumping once specific feature, likely everything will be dumped down making it a pure arcade game without any depth).
        To clarify what I meant.

Currently/99/2kx we have : walk (silent), run (footsteps), dodge (noisy grunts/whatever).

Removing walk/crouch speed and removing footsteps would essentially give : Normal movement (silent), Dodge/jump/slides (grunts).

The choice is still there - silent at slower pace vs noisy at faster pace.

Changing like this would be tied to dodge being sufficiently faster than normal movement speed, which it is as most players tend to dodge rather than simply run.

This is coming from someone whos game was heavily tied to audio in ut99, to the point I disliked 2kx because of the lack luster audio at release on a basic sound card (compared to 99/q/cs). In addition this is ignoring that we are essentially playing this way already as the current footstep audio is fairly useless - the assumption (maybe wrongly on my part) is that audio will at some point be at the level of the quakes/cs.

Ideally I want walk and crouch serving as walk and crouch first and "don't fall off this edge" second.. but would the above really break the game the way you think it would? If epic are that against having "walk". Quakeworld is similar and works well with audio cues so there is an existing example to look at. Thinking on it so is cs - as players typically do not jump around like in other arena shooters, it has binary player noise via walk/normal.
        Last edited by joellll; 01-03-2016, 09:27 PM.
        Posts are about duel unless otherwise specified. ut duel shortcomings | What is timing? | dm-twentyseven

Comment

Originally posted by joellll View Post
          Removing walk/crouch speed and removing footsteps would essentially give : Normal movement (silent), Dodge/jump/slides (grunts).
          I like this idea especially if sprint was louder in that you could hear someone puffing, it adds an element in there for people who want to be quiet to simply not be heavy handed on the movement buttons. Im not really for adding buttons just for the sake of it, especially when freeing these buttons up will allow more complex movements to be performed better instead of shoehorning them into current buttons such as jump/crouch, this opens up the run/walk button for those who want to use it for say dodging or wall runs etc.
          Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

I always use crouch but you wouldnt believe how many div1 players use walk to sneak behind walls where shield belt is, talkimg about duels here.
            I think it should be in game, its not like it will be end of world if you implement it.

Comment

Lots of valid points here. I never thought about hitboxes while ducking. Personally I use walk in all my deathmatch fps games and it really helps me to stay unpredictable and more accurate in movement. UT is fast paced and needs the option.

Comment

- Make sure no footstep sounds played while crouched.

Best new build update. Thanks Mysterial

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
                  Crouch gives you the functionality of walk without having to have a 3rd state. Can someone give one example of where walk gave any real benefit over crouch-walk other than "we could do it before"?
                  Run: Loud footsteps / Fast movement / Large hitbox

Walk: Silent footsteps / Slow movement / Large hitbox

Crouch: Silent footsteps / Very slow movement / Small hitbox.

Walk works very well in duel.
                  www.mouserpad.com

Comment

Originally posted by de`pain View Post
                    Run: Loud footsteps / Fast movement / Large hitbox

Walk: Silent footsteps / Slow movement / Large hitbox

Crouch: Silent footsteps / Very slow movement / Small hitbox.

Walk works very well in duel.
                    Sound Speed Height Jump Dodge Roll/Slide Edge Protection
                    Run Loud Fast Tall Full Yes No No
                    Walk Quiet Slow Tall Full Yes No Yes
                    Crouch Quiet Slow Short Reduced No Yes Yes

Comment

Crouch gives you the functionality of walk without having to have a 3rd state. Can someone give one example of where walk gave any real benefit over crouch-walk other than "we could do it before"?
                      1, You can dodge and jump whilst walking

2, It helps to "steady" you for a brief period and provides a change of pace for intricate shots and moves - this is probably hard for you to understand, think of times when you stop and stand still to shoot someone

3, Its quiet

4, Crouching reduces your height and forces an aim adjust, walking does not which means you can still aim seamlessly

The trade off here is that you don't get the reduces height and hitbox so you're still fairly easy to hit

There's no legitimate reason to leave walking out of the game, it's the type of mechanic that's mainly used by players with at least a little skill so i can see why you aren't bothered by it and prefer more "casual friendly" stuff like wall running instead

A blind man who can't see the moon does not have the right to deny it's value

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTWJ96Ffh34

Comment

Originally posted by Flikswich View Post
                          I would like walk too, it's faster than crouch and keeps the eye height the same and has essentially no downside (I personally don't see having an extra key to bind as a disadvantage).
                          took the words out of my mouth

Comment

Are you kidding me?, haven't you yet figured out why the game as only 500 max consistent players over the globe/all gametypes? Whilst you're too busy making dumb hats and **** in alpha stages of a game people are leaving. This is due to 1# You've completely ****ed up weapons 2# games way too noobish 3# spawn system is absolute garbage needs to be completely randomized #4 been alpha too long because you are way too busy making flashy hats and garbage high textured maps in an fps game? #5 networking is aweful do yourself a favour and employ guys that know what they're doing such as Timbur. Don't mean to be a **** but **** like 15% increase in skin scale wtf is that. What's the fun of a game if its too easy to start of with for a new player? 0 fun... Trust me for all us guys been here since ut99 launch, Most fun in the game is learning it. Get your **** together or kill it it's a joke.. ps. ofc we want walk crouching around like a ****** not only looks noobish it is noobish.

dont mean to rant but when will you learn?

Comment

Walk needs to be in the game because of the reasons mentioned above.
                              Ðarth|UA|
                              Youtube

Come play CTF and Elimination Pick Up Games (PUGS) with us at: https://discord.gg/BbPPCBx . You can also go to http://ut4pugs.us Hope to see you all there!

Comment

Whats the chance of walk being added back into the game mechanics? Its not even an option to bind using commands like on UT99 and UT2k4

I would use /set input ??? walk in previous unreal games but it dosent work in the pre alpha[or UT3]

Comment

Working...
                                X