• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Barktooth View Post
    Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
    Remove single tap dodge, introduce walk = win
    I know you are joking but DO NOT do this. I can't double dodge effectively, so Single Tap allows me to play.

Although when walk is introduced I'll be in a bit of predicament as I swapped space for single tap Dodge and use shift for jump.
    I typically use shift for walk / sprint in other games.

When my UHK arrives then all will be well in the world as I can use mod for single tap Dodge and space for jump.

I actually am not joking. Well, I'm not entirely serious either as I know Epic probably won't remove it, but I really do hate the idea of the single tap dodge.
    Originally posted by Danko955 View Post
    why ? you dont need to use it if you find it easier without, also it can help sometimes lets say you want to go straight forward and dodge and you cant do that without stopping with WASD.
    Well, it's a bit off topic to discuss it here but there's several reasons. First it gives you a huge advantage over double-tap dodging because you can do it much faster (need to only press the key once), it also lets you dodge forward without stopping (which looks really terrible for spectators and also gives you advantage again), and overall just removes the skill from dodging.

I'd be fine with it if it was nerfed a bit (IE slight delay before dodging so it's not a huge advantage over double-tap)
    Barktooth, as I agree this is getting off-topic for this thread on walk and I went searching and found two thread which had discussion about Single Tap Dodge:
    Allow dodging without double tapping by adding an optional dodge key
    <- This is the actual thread where Steve Polge introduced Single Tap
    Single Tap Dodge should be a mutator

In both threads you have put forward your reasons as to why it should be removed. If you want to continue this discussion, please reply to my post here
    Last edited by richardboegli; 02-19-2016, 02:18 PM. Reason: wordcraft

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Danko955 View Post
    why ? you dont need to use it if you find it easier without, also it can help sometimes lets say you want to go straight forward and dodge and you cant do that without stopping with WASD.
    Well, it's a bit off topic to discuss it here but there's several reasons. First it gives you a huge advantage over double-tap dodging because you can do it much faster (need to only press the key once), it also lets you dodge forward without stopping (which looks really terrible for spectators and also gives you advantage again), and overall just removes the skill from dodging.

I'd be fine with it if it was nerfed a bit (IE slight delay before dodging so it's not a huge advantage over double-tap)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I actually am not joking. Well, I'm not entirely serious either as I know Epic probably won't remove it, but I really do hate the idea of the single tap dodge.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
    I know you are joking but DO NOT do this. I can't double dodge effectively, so Single Tap allows me to play.

Although when walk is introduced I'll be in a bit of predicament as I swapped space for single tap Dodge and use shift for jump.

When my UHK arrives then all will be well in the world as I can use mod for single tap Dodge and space for jump.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Some pretty good arguments here, in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    so can we get any hopes to see walk back in ut4 aswell?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
    Crouch gives you the functionality of walk without having to have a 3rd state. Can someone give one example of where walk gave any real benefit over crouch-walk other than "we could do it before"?
    walking | jump in ut99 = small jump - when you picked up jumpboots to dont lose boots
    walk | walking = also for quiet moving.
    imo was better option then double pressing jump key to use jumpboots in ut4.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by R.Riddick View Post
    you do not know what crunching provides?as you stated, it is the only way of reducing your hitbox. Plus if you do duels you'd know that sudden crunch is the most off putting movement mechanic for your opponent. I have been utilizing side rolls more than anyone in new ut i guess. Try to get better with it and you will find new world for yourself, it is clearly not a useless mechanics for sure and i'd take it over walk any day. gotta love rolling sniper or combo shots or even flak shells, it helped me run so many flags as well. Everyone expects u to dodge or jump but seldom someone is quick to react to side roll or forward roll.
    Well I'll admit Im not the biggest dueler but I do know bunnyhopping seems to be a viable combat tactic in this UT, sprint actually reduces a players ability to move fast through the air and bunnyhop as sprint is cancelled in the air. This is important because it means bunnyhopping as a means of traversal is nerfed vs other options including dodge/wall dodge.

Rolls are a whole nother kettle of fish, to me the button is for slide and not crouch as I use it far more for that purpose but I find in a fight if there is a wall nearby the boost you get from a quick dodge or jump into a wall dodge can be extremely off putting even if you hit a wall on the other end. I suppose if you use crouch as a means to do a roll then it gives you an advantage, I think I would prefer if crouch didnt move and only rolled, it'd be great if you could slide to cover like Farcry 3, being able to use it as a combo like not just dodging to roll but other options like sliding on the end of a sprint to get some kind of temp boost, who knows.

The new Team Showdown maps look like they have plenty of options so Im keen to keep tweaking and playing for as long as it takes (when its done tm)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
    Well Im not a fan of the fact you can run around unlimited but having it context sensitive how it is, is far better than if there were a button for it, people would soon exploit sprint to the point the button creates a skill gap that could be removed by removing the button. I feel much the same way about an edge protection button, its not really useful because its there to do something you can perform otherwise (with enough true skill), just like tapping movement buttons instead of holding them will get you moving slower, just not in the same quiet way walk does.

I feel as though if we want walk in the game it should be in a similar manner to how sprint works, if you are moving slower by tapping keys then the player should naturally be more quiet. Theres a wiggle problem atm so its clear to me there could be a slight moment of acceleration going from 0 to groundspeed to simulate walking.

I must say Im not a fan of the combined crouch/slide, honestly I dont see what the big deal is with crouch and why we need it. Its clear it doesnt offer a whole lot over walking so I would gladly sacrifice one for the other in the worst case. Ive just never been playing UT and thought to myself, you know what I need right now, to make my hitbox smaller. I do see the overall use for these moves but right now Im not convinced of their staple status, the dodge is obviously a clear staple of the franchise, it stands on its own unlike walk, crouch and yes even sprint so I do think there is plenty of room for improvement.
    you do not know what crunching provides?as you stated, it is the only way of reducing your hitbox. Plus if you do duels you'd know that sudden crunch is the most off putting movement mechanic for your opponent. I have been utilizing side rolls more than anyone in new ut i guess. Try to get better with it and you will find new world for yourself, it is clearly not a useless mechanics for sure and i'd take it over walk any day. gotta love rolling sniper or combo shots or even flak shells, it helped me run so many flags as well. Everyone expects u to dodge or jump but seldom someone is quick to react to side roll or forward roll.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well Im not a fan of the fact you can run around unlimited but having it context sensitive how it is, is far better than if there were a button for it, people would soon exploit sprint to the point the button creates a skill gap that could be removed by removing the button. I feel much the same way about an edge protection button, its not really useful because its there to do something you can perform otherwise (with enough true skill), just like tapping movement buttons instead of holding them will get you moving slower, just not in the same quiet way walk does.

I feel as though if we want walk in the game it should be in a similar manner to how sprint works, if you are moving slower by tapping keys then the player should naturally be more quiet. Theres a wiggle problem atm so its clear to me there could be a slight moment of acceleration going from 0 to groundspeed to simulate walking.

I must say Im not a fan of the combined crouch/slide, honestly I dont see what the big deal is with crouch and why we need it. Its clear it doesnt offer a whole lot over walking so I would gladly sacrifice one for the other in the worst case. Ive just never been playing UT and thought to myself, you know what I need right now, to make my hitbox smaller. I do see the overall use for these moves but right now Im not convinced of their staple status, the dodge is obviously a clear staple of the franchise, it stands on its own unlike walk, crouch and yes even sprint so I do think there is plenty of room for improvement.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sprint is downright bad imo it's too fast and lasts for unlimited period of time, it is extremely off putting as you are used to normal speed which already is runing. I am not saying this shall not be in game, i just dislike it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    There is actually a state missing from that, I suppose sprint is a type of run. Has anyone here actually tried moving while crouched in real-life, its not even a real thing, kneeling on the other hand and shimmying around is.

Basically what people are after is the edge protection button mostly, my argument has always been to learn to move without the crutch but somehow this UT is the dumbed down one.

I dunno, I want movement options but I dont wanna waste keys on stuff that will barely be used, thats why I like sprint how it is. I think the limiting factor is digital input here.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post
    Sound Speed Height Jump Dodge Roll/Slide Edge Protection
    Run Loud Fast Tall Full Yes No No
    Walk Quiet Slow Tall Full Yes No Yes
    Crouch Quiet Slow Short Reduced No Yes Yes
    perfect x2
    +1

Leave a comment:

Working...
X