Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post
    Sound Speed Height Jump Dodge Roll/Slide Edge Protection
    Run Loud Fast Tall Full Yes No No
    Walk Quiet Slow Tall Full Yes No Yes
    Crouch Quiet Slow Short Reduced No Yes Yes
    Perfect.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'd love to have Walk back, easily the movement command I miss the most from previous UTs.

Currently when you're dodging to a very far ledge or platform and your dodge isn't 100 % on point (but you still reach the destination) your only way to stop your momentum is not to input any movement. In previous UTs you could Crouch or Walk upon landing and easily keep on moving in the desired direction without falling off ledges, but now Walk is gone and Crouch makes you slide to your death... Again, you have to take your hands away from WASD/movement keys, it really kills the fluidity of the movement.

I'm not sure what are the reasons which lead to its removal, but I'm sure there are ways to make it work.

If balance is a concern:

- Make it so that Walk doesn't have any advantage over current movement tools (ie, not faster than Crouch, not a smaller hitbox, you can still hear steps etc)

If complexity (adding a third state) is a concern:

- Just make it a completely optional bind, one which is not part of the default loadout but still accessible to those who want it. Something a new player could easily ignore, but that he can access if the need arises

Basically just turn it into a precision landing tool to help with tighter maneuvers: it shouldn't hurt balance in any way if it doesn't provide any bonus over current tools, all while offering more control over movement to players who desire it.

Would there be any downside to adding a Walk command configured like this?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
    Crouch gives you the functionality of walk without having to have a 3rd state. Can someone give one example of where walk gave any real benefit over crouch-walk other than "we could do it before"?
    Is it possible that you came up with the idea to remove walk?
    In the other thread you asked the same question and people gave you answers already. I guess you will ignore them again in this thread. Why is it such a problem to implement it and let people play with it. If people don't want it you can remove it again...
    Last edited by mad1Z; 02-04-2016, 07:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Whats the chance of walk being added back into the game mechanics? Its not even an option to bind using commands like on UT99 and UT2k4

I would use /set input ??? walk in previous unreal games but it dosent work in the pre alpha[or UT3]

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Walk needs to be in the game because of the reasons mentioned above.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Crouch gives you the functionality of walk without having to have a 3rd state. Can someone give one example of where walk gave any real benefit over crouch-walk other than "we could do it before"?
    Are you kidding me?, haven't you yet figured out why the game as only 500 max consistent players over the globe/all gametypes? Whilst you're too busy making dumb hats and **** in alpha stages of a game people are leaving. This is due to 1# You've completely ****ed up weapons 2# games way too noobish 3# spawn system is absolute garbage needs to be completely randomized #4 been alpha too long because you are way too busy making flashy hats and garbage high textured maps in an fps game? #5 networking is aweful do yourself a favour and employ guys that know what they're doing such as Timbur. Don't mean to be a **** but **** like 15% increase in skin scale wtf is that. What's the fun of a game if its too easy to start of with for a new player? 0 fun... Trust me for all us guys been here since ut99 launch, Most fun in the game is learning it. Get your **** together or kill it it's a joke.. ps. ofc we want walk crouching around like a ****** not only looks noobish it is noobish.

dont mean to rant but when will you learn?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Flikswich View Post
    I would like walk too, it's faster than crouch and keeps the eye height the same and has essentially no downside (I personally don't see having an extra key to bind as a disadvantage).
    took the words out of my mouth

Leave a comment:

• replied
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTWJ96Ffh34

Leave a comment:

• replied
    1, You can dodge and jump whilst walking

2, It helps to "steady" you for a brief period and provides a change of pace for intricate shots and moves - this is probably hard for you to understand, think of times when you stop and stand still to shoot someone

3, Its quiet

4, Crouching reduces your height and forces an aim adjust, walking does not which means you can still aim seamlessly

The trade off here is that you don't get the reduces height and hitbox so you're still fairly easy to hit

There's no legitimate reason to leave walking out of the game, it's the type of mechanic that's mainly used by players with at least a little skill so i can see why you aren't bothered by it and prefer more "casual friendly" stuff like wall running instead

A blind man who can't see the moon does not have the right to deny it's value

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by de`pain View Post
    Run: Loud footsteps / Fast movement / Large hitbox

Walk: Silent footsteps / Slow movement / Large hitbox

Crouch: Silent footsteps / Very slow movement / Small hitbox.

Walk works very well in duel.
    Sound Speed Height Jump Dodge Roll/Slide Edge Protection
    Run Loud Fast Tall Full Yes No No
    Walk Quiet Slow Tall Full Yes No Yes
    Crouch Quiet Slow Short Reduced No Yes Yes

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Run: Loud footsteps / Fast movement / Large hitbox

Walk: Silent footsteps / Slow movement / Large hitbox

Crouch: Silent footsteps / Very slow movement / Small hitbox.

Walk works very well in duel.

Leave a comment:

• replied

- Make sure no footstep sounds played while crouched.

Best new build update. Thanks Mysterial

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Lots of valid points here. I never thought about hitboxes while ducking. Personally I use walk in all my deathmatch fps games and it really helps me to stay unpredictable and more accurate in movement. UT is fast paced and needs the option.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I always use crouch but you wouldnt believe how many div1 players use walk to sneak behind walls where shield belt is, talkimg about duels here.
    I think it should be in game, its not like it will be end of world if you implement it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by joellll View Post
    Removing walk/crouch speed and removing footsteps would essentially give : Normal movement (silent), Dodge/jump/slides (grunts).
    I like this idea especially if sprint was louder in that you could hear someone puffing, it adds an element in there for people who want to be quiet to simply not be heavy handed on the movement buttons. Im not really for adding buttons just for the sake of it, especially when freeing these buttons up will allow more complex movements to be performed better instead of shoehorning them into current buttons such as jump/crouch, this opens up the run/walk button for those who want to use it for say dodging or wall runs etc.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X