Where is WALK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barktooth View Post
    I actually am not joking. Well, I'm not entirely serious either as I know Epic probably won't remove it, but I really do hate the idea of the single tap dodge.
    why ? you dont need to use it if you find it easier without, also it can help sometimes lets say you want to go straight forward and dodge and you cant do that without stopping with WASD.

Comment

Originally posted by Danko955 View Post
      why ? you dont need to use it if you find it easier without, also it can help sometimes lets say you want to go straight forward and dodge and you cant do that without stopping with WASD.
      Well, it's a bit off topic to discuss it here but there's several reasons. First it gives you a huge advantage over double-tap dodging because you can do it much faster (need to only press the key once), it also lets you dodge forward without stopping (which looks really terrible for spectators and also gives you advantage again), and overall just removes the skill from dodging.

I'd be fine with it if it was nerfed a bit (IE slight delay before dodging so it's not a huge advantage over double-tap)

Comment

Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
        Remove single tap dodge, introduce walk = win
        I know you are joking but DO NOT do this. I can't double dodge effectively, so Single Tap allows me to play.

Although when walk is introduced I'll be in a bit of predicament as I swapped space for single tap Dodge and use shift for jump.
        I typically use shift for walk / sprint in other games.

When my UHK arrives then all will be well in the world as I can use mod for single tap Dodge and space for jump.

I actually am not joking. Well, I'm not entirely serious either as I know Epic probably won't remove it, but I really do hate the idea of the single tap dodge.
        Originally posted by Danko955 View Post
        Well, it's a bit off topic to discuss it here but there's several reasons. First it gives you a huge advantage over double-tap dodging because you can do it much faster (need to only press the key once), it also lets you dodge forward without stopping (which looks really terrible for spectators and also gives you advantage again), and overall just removes the skill from dodging.

I'd be fine with it if it was nerfed a bit (IE slight delay before dodging so it's not a huge advantage over double-tap)
        Barktooth, as I agree this is getting off-topic for this thread on walk and I went searching and found two thread which had discussion about Single Tap Dodge:
        Allow dodging without double tapping by adding an optional dodge key
        <- This is the actual thread where Steve Polge introduced Single Tap
        Single Tap Dodge should be a mutator

In both threads you have put forward your reasons as to why it should be removed. If you want to continue this discussion, please reply to my post here
        Last edited by richardboegli; 02-19-2016, 02:18 PM. Reason: wordcraft
        Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

You could actually walk in UT3 after editing some stuff in the inis if I'm not mistaken. It was very useful
          Check my UT3 Fragmovie!

Comment

YES 2 walk, thx

Comment

Walk does feel missing when coming from quake. Cant keep quiet in duels... and using crouch lowers your eye height. Walking will help a lot in duels.
              When duels become serious and both contenders have great aim... walking can be the difference...

Comment

One thing I'd like to add: Upon watching and playing in the esl cup and spectating players who are crouching I have to say that it just looks stupid. There were some players, myself included at times, who's natural position was to just crouch and It felt pretty unnatural and weird from a spectator point of view. Adding walk would make it look much more natural and it really has no downside, it's not like it over-complicates anything :/
                :|

Comment

Having walk in the game also opens up the possibility of someone creating a moonwalk mod when you press your walk + back keys.

Comment

Originally posted by eBoLa View Post
                    Having walk in the game also opens up the possibility of someone creating a moonwalk mod when you press your walk + back keys.
                    LOL, that is an AWESOME idea!

Comment

I used to use the walk function when duelling to remove predictability. It's certainly useful for one on ones or large maps where you want to sneak up on someone.

Comment

it does seems like we wont get any agreement on the funtionality of walk in ut by the devs :<

Comment

What does that mean kyaxiz? Have they made a mention about walk?
                          I really dont get it. I figured walk was taken out of UT3 because that game seemed like it was made for a joystick. Running full throttle all the time unless I duck is a disaster.

Comment

On a side note have you noticed if you run for more than 2 seconds your character speeds up? Its not a big increase but definitely noticeable. I would prefer a set speed on Run.
                            Rig: AsRock Fatality X99X, Intel 5820K Haswell 6-Core, 16GB DDR4 2400 G.SKILL Ripjaws, Asus GTX 970 STRIX, CoolerMaster HAF 932 Case, CoolerMaster V1200 Platinum, SoundBlaster Z, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB(OS), Samsung 840 EVO 500GB(Game), WD Black 1TB(Data), Win 10.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkkMatter View Post
                              On a side note have you noticed if you run for more than 2 seconds your character speeds up? Its not a big increase but definitely noticeable. I would prefer a set speed on Run.
                              IIRC this was intended to get you back into the action after respawning which is why it kicks in automatically after 2 seconds instead of having a manual key for it.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
                                Crouch gives you the functionality of walk without having to have a 3rd state. Can someone give one example of where walk gave any real benefit over crouch-walk other than "we could do it before"?
                                Are you for real....? This sounds as if a lot of ppl including the developers have virtually no experience in UT at all....

In UT99 walk was essential because:

- Jumps while holding walk were shorter but had less height so if you could reach places with both it was smarter to walk-jump so you would touch the ground earlier and be ready to move again(play BT for one day and you would know that)

- Walking on an edge made it impossible to fall off. Crouch does that as well, however, with walk you still had your head and crosshair on the normal height so you could throw down shock balls/rockets without hitting your face. Without walk you would have to crouch towards the edge, stand up and then shoot which is a) a lot slower and b) looks totally ridiculous

- Holding walk enabled you to jump normally while having Anti-Grav Boots equipped. I know the boots were changed in UT4 but you asked what "benefits walk gave over crouch" and furthermore I liked the old boots mechanics better anyway.

- Holding walk made frog bounces shorter but a lot easier to perform which was a key aspect to BT and some UT99 CTF maps

These are but the main examples why walk was an essential movement key in UT99.

Comment

Working...
                                X