Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
    Hearing footsteps is one tactical aspect of gameplay in general (in every game tbh). Removing this would dump down UT heavily (and by just dumping once specific feature, likely everything will be dumped down making it a pure arcade game without any depth).
    To clarify what I meant.

Currently/99/2kx we have : walk (silent), run (footsteps), dodge (noisy grunts/whatever).

Removing walk/crouch speed and removing footsteps would essentially give : Normal movement (silent), Dodge/jump/slides (grunts).

The choice is still there - silent at slower pace vs noisy at faster pace.

Changing like this would be tied to dodge being sufficiently faster than normal movement speed, which it is as most players tend to dodge rather than simply run.

This is coming from someone whos game was heavily tied to audio in ut99, to the point I disliked 2kx because of the lack luster audio at release on a basic sound card (compared to 99/q/cs). In addition this is ignoring that we are essentially playing this way already as the current footstep audio is fairly useless - the assumption (maybe wrongly on my part) is that audio will at some point be at the level of the quakes/cs.

Ideally I want walk and crouch serving as walk and crouch first and "don't fall off this edge" second.. but would the above really break the game the way you think it would? If epic are that against having "walk". Quakeworld is similar and works well with audio cues so there is an existing example to look at. Thinking on it so is cs - as players typically do not jump around like in other arena shooters, it has binary player noise via walk/normal.
    Last edited by joellll; 01-03-2016, 09:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hearing footsteps is one tactical aspect of gameplay in general (in every game tbh). Removing this would dump down UT heavily (and by just dumping once specific feature, likely everything will be dumped down making it a pure arcade game without any depth). The sounds tweaks are another topic. In general, I like to have walk being not usable but crouch. Because of the similarity and the advantage of walk over crouch which some of you guys mentioned. If every player can walk in a specific interval to reduce their footsteps, why having footsteps at all? Crouch just adds the one disadvantage that you may have to adjust your crosshair but also adds the advantage of a reduce hitbox. I think the default game settings should be somehow understandable and dynamic. It should be immersive Unreal world and not a muted picmip 3D chess game.

Regarding sounds tweaks: For every pro community there could be mods or options to remove any player sounds. Such as the mutator I did for UT3 based on a request I got from a Duel community.

About general tweaks. There will likely be a system to check these settings and prevent players from playing the game (competitivly) if these are changed too much.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
    Other than that, I had no problems of the missing real-walk feature in UT3, I never used it much in past games and I am not missing it in this new UT. However, I miss being able to use the default bound walk in mods.
    I remember reading a few articles and posts about this for duel. Not being able to move silently at all puts things heavily in the in control players hands, even more so with the apparently ridiculous audio tweaks available that were available/widely used in ut3. Game is broken if they only way of being silent is standing still and players can hear everything on the map from almost everywhere.

Footsteps could almost be removed and regular movement could become silent. Dodge/other movement becomes the audio cues as it is faster to do move in this manner so most players will do so. Crouch can stay as crouch. Maybe add footsteps to sprint, but in the current setup it is sort of useless and probably doesn't need the "drawback"/sound cue beyond its current drawbacks. This would potentially speed up the game.

Walk should be for walk and crouch should be for crouch, however the discussion here is always crouch for not falling off edges/walk for not falling off edges. The base "movement" needs to be addressed or maybe both walk and crouch could be removed and replaced with a "not fall off edge" button.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    1: Ability to dodge and jump while walking. Can't do this while crouching.
    2: Slower and quieter movement while keeping the crosshairs at normal height.
    3. Perhaps walking could be faster than crouching, but still slower than running.
    4: Could be used for precision landing as opposed to the current crouch that leads to accidental ground slides off ledges.
    5: It looks badass while walking away and not looking at the explosion.

A disadvantage to walking would be that you're an easier target to hit because you're moving slower but your hitbox remains the same size, unlike while crouching.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Flikswich View Post
    I would like walk too, it's faster than crouch and keeps the eye height the same and has essentially no downside (I personally don't see having an extra key to bind as a disadvantage).
    This is perhaps the best reason to remove it, it doesnt have a downside or disadvantage! I dont dislike the concept of walk I just think it needs to be balanced with the rest of the movement so its not a crutch like it has been in the past. I just see it as a helper that takes skill away from the game, that a button press isnt skillful in and of itself, I do see the need to stop oneself from falling off a ledge but why not try not pressing crouch which activates a slide and just using the movement keys to stop you, the friction in this game is very high and theres not alot of momentum.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
    Crouch gives you the functionality of walk without having to have a 3rd state. Can someone give one example of where walk gave any real benefit over crouch-walk other than "we could do it before"?
    From a modding perspective, a new boundable action like for adding sprint mechanism. Or use "Walk" as modifier. Could also be used for vehicles.

The other benefit depends on the actual implementation. If crouch is slower than walk, but both reduce/remove the footsteps, walk might be superioer but that quickly makes crouch redudant (and only to be used for physical barriers).

Another importance of the walk feature was free-roam spectating (which speeds up the flying).

Other than that, I had no problems of the missing real-walk feature in UT3, I never used it much in past games and I am not missing it in this new UT. However, I miss being able to use the default bound walk in mods.

PS: "we could do it before"... what's the reason for feigning then?
    Last edited by RattleSN4K3; 01-02-2016, 06:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Orion` View Post
    Crouch gives you the functionality of walk without having to have a 3rd state. Can someone give one example of where walk gave any real benefit over crouch-walk other than "we could do it before"?
    The eye height remains the same, so you can have a larger vantage point over the map. Also, it removes the possibility of accidentally sliding off of ledges when pressing crouch (I do it quite often, and others do too I believe).
    Originally posted by Flikswich View Post
    I would like walk too, it's faster than crouch and keeps the eye height the same and has essentially no downside (I personally don't see having an extra key to bind as a disadvantage).
    1) Due to the addition of slide to Crouch, you cannot directly transition from run to slower motion without a slide first.
    You have to stop first, press crouch, then press movement key.

2) you lose height advantage.

3) Adds an additional element of misdirection when in close combat:
    3.1) Dodge
    3.2) Strafe
    3.3) Strafe Walk
    3.4) Jump

Until I get my Ultimate Hacking Keyboard, I'm using Shift as Jump as I have Single Tap Dodge on Space, so if you want to wait till July I'd be fine with that. :P
    As I'll be using the Space button (not key) for walk, Mod key for Single Tap Dodge and keep jump as shift key - Or maybe mix them around again....time will tell

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The eye height remains the same, so you can have a larger vantage point over the map. Also, it removes the possibility of accidentally sliding off of ledges when pressing crouch (I do it quite often, and others do too I believe).

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I would love to see walk added back into the game. Like cafe said, it'd solve the problem of accidentally sliding off of ledges when meaning to crouch.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    in 2k4 crouching basically turned you into a magical headshot hitbox. i used walk to keep quiet in duels a lot. :[

Leave a comment:

• replied
    In '99 'walk' was also good for performing a front dodge while tight against a sloped wall, an integral movement option for us BunnyTrackers.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Seems like a no brainer. I am constantly missing walk when playing UT3 and this, I used it in UT and Ut2k4 for years. Its what made scaling walls easy. In UT3 I ended up using duck to scale walls, I just had to let go of duck when dodging. In this game I just end up sliding when I try to scale. Its made my movement technique useless.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by cafe
    Although, having walk for avoiding falling off ledges could help solve the problem of unintentionally sliding off of ledges when intending to crouch. Just a thought.
    This happens to me a lot, especially on Command where I then unintentionally slide into the slime which for some reason causes the server to crash lol. This exact scenario has happened at least 4 times.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X