Where is WALK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Some arena fps like xonotic dont need walk but UT does.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes, walk is needed.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Please add walking back into UT4, it is an essential move mechanic for advanced FPS games. Every CS player knows this, but even in Quake players would use walk to be silent (and move faster than crouch). It means interesting fighting stances you can make to fool your opponent. ADVANCED is how we all like UT.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
    Crouch gives you the functionality of walk without having to have a 3rd state. Can someone give one example of where walk gave any real benefit over crouch-walk other than "we could do it before"?
    Are you for real....? This sounds as if a lot of ppl including the developers have virtually no experience in UT at all....

In UT99 walk was essential because:

- Jumps while holding walk were shorter but had less height so if you could reach places with both it was smarter to walk-jump so you would touch the ground earlier and be ready to move again(play BT for one day and you would know that)

- Walking on an edge made it impossible to fall off. Crouch does that as well, however, with walk you still had your head and crosshair on the normal height so you could throw down shock balls/rockets without hitting your face. Without walk you would have to crouch towards the edge, stand up and then shoot which is a) a lot slower and b) looks totally ridiculous

- Holding walk enabled you to jump normally while having Anti-Grav Boots equipped. I know the boots were changed in UT4 but you asked what "benefits walk gave over crouch" and furthermore I liked the old boots mechanics better anyway.

- Holding walk made frog bounces shorter but a lot easier to perform which was a key aspect to BT and some UT99 CTF maps

These are but the main examples why walk was an essential movement key in UT99.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DarkkMatter View Post
    On a side note have you noticed if you run for more than 2 seconds your character speeds up? Its not a big increase but definitely noticeable. I would prefer a set speed on Run.
    IIRC this was intended to get you back into the action after respawning which is why it kicks in automatically after 2 seconds instead of having a manual key for it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    On a side note have you noticed if you run for more than 2 seconds your character speeds up? Its not a big increase but definitely noticeable. I would prefer a set speed on Run.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    What does that mean kyaxiz? Have they made a mention about walk?
    I really dont get it. I figured walk was taken out of UT3 because that game seemed like it was made for a joystick. Running full throttle all the time unless I duck is a disaster.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    it does seems like we wont get any agreement on the funtionality of walk in ut by the devs :<

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I used to use the walk function when duelling to remove predictability. It's certainly useful for one on ones or large maps where you want to sneak up on someone.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by eBoLa View Post
    Having walk in the game also opens up the possibility of someone creating a moonwalk mod when you press your walk + back keys.
    LOL, that is an AWESOME idea!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Having walk in the game also opens up the possibility of someone creating a moonwalk mod when you press your walk + back keys.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    One thing I'd like to add: Upon watching and playing in the esl cup and spectating players who are crouching I have to say that it just looks stupid. There were some players, myself included at times, who's natural position was to just crouch and It felt pretty unnatural and weird from a spectator point of view. Adding walk would make it look much more natural and it really has no downside, it's not like it over-complicates anything :/

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Walk does feel missing when coming from quake. Cant keep quiet in duels... and using crouch lowers your eye height. Walking will help a lot in duels.
    When duels become serious and both contenders have great aim... walking can be the difference...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    YES 2 walk, thx

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You could actually walk in UT3 after editing some stuff in the inis if I'm not mistaken. It was very useful

Leave a comment:

Working...
X