Do we need slide and wall run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scxmdrxg View Post
    Yeah....NO. Slide and dodge both suck against experienced players. I destroy anyone who uses dodge or slide to get away or avoid my shots. The best real dodge you can do against bullets is patterns of movement. Dodge has been in UT for a long time and they should keep it, Wall run and slides add nothing but easier prediction for your enemy. They are gimmicks and they do not fit the game.
    Who do you play that you consistently destroy them using wall run and slides?
    I know for me, wall running and sliding allow for clutch dodging and kills.
    Former Console UT3 Player on Xbox 360 & PS3
    Current UT4 Player
    Known as phantaci.
    UT Theme Song:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C9Sh-wcy7s

Comment

Originally posted by Foeb1a View Post
      Who do you play that you consistently destroy them using wall run and slides?
      I know for me, wall running and sliding allow for clutch dodging and kills.
      The problem with these are the fact that they are gimmicks. Their implementation can only trick new players. Both of these features have already a long animation and if you play UT for many years you will be able to predict and shoot a floor slider very easy. Wallrunners require a bit more focus since they can dodge or cut the animation but still, they are easily predictable. As I said, the best way to dodge and confuse someone is unusual patterns of ADS.

Comment

it wouldn't be mandatory in both cases i guess.
        so implementing "as mutator" and "letting players choose Prefered gameplay" - so far most interesting course/option.
        Anyone can be "Wrong", this is Right. at-least for sane specimens.

Comment

To anyone saying slide and wallrun are useless I'll say this: try a round of instagib DM. You will learn to appreciate slide in a completely new way!

As for wallrun... well it really depends on the map. On most maps it really does have it's uses. Even Outpost23. So many trickjumps where you can utilize wallrun. Of course, because of how short the wallrun is, you do have to go out of your way to learn these trickjumps where you need to use wallrun. Once you learned them, you'll definitively get to places faster though.
          Check out my work!
          | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
          | Localization

Comment

The problem with these are the fact that they are gimmicks. Their implementation can only trick new players. Both of these features have already a long animation and if you play UT for many years you will be able to predict and shoot a floor slider very easy. Wallrunners require a bit more focus since they can dodge or cut the animation but still, they are easily predictable. As I said, the best way to dodge and confuse someone is unusual patterns of ADS.
            I think you have a pretty limited perspective on how these can be used. They can be very useful just moving around the map quicker. A slide at the right time can duck under a hitscan shot. Sticking to the wall in a wall run can avoid splash damage on the ground and let you wall dodge away. Obviously when over used and poorly timed they can be very predictable, but they aren't just gimmicks with no purpose.
            NoBrainsNoAims^ // nbna^
            My movies on YouTube:
            UT2k4: UT~]i[mmortalZ Part 1
            , Part 2 / UT~]i[mmortalZ 2 / UT Immortalz 3
            UT4: Rocket Jumping - Titan Pass

UT4: Frag Highlights #1 / #2 / #3 NEW

Comment

I find slide and wallrun to be very fun new features that you can get use out of with knowing how to effectively use them. Slide can be effective in all the maps, but the wallrun/jump mechanic doesn't have many areas it can be applied just yet (at least not that I've seen so far). But, yes, they are both useful game mechanics and I think people just aren't sure how to use them effectively just yet. Also, I feel like some more movement training would be great, like having some time trial movement courses instead of just the one training room.

Comment

if anything, slide is overpowered. in Insta at least. But quite addictive.

Comment

Yeah....NO. Slide and dodge both suck against experienced players. I destroy anyone who uses dodge or slide to get away or avoid my shots. The best real dodge you can do against bullets is patterns of movement. Dodge has been in UT for a long time and they should keep it, Wall run and slides add nothing but easier prediction for your enemy. They are gimmicks and they do not fit the game.
                  Bull****, the fact that slide is very useful in instagib totally negates your bogus claims of "I destroy anyone who uses dodge or slide to get away or avoid my shots". Instagib players aim/prediction > Everyone else

Originally posted by peterk View Post
                  few months ago i played in an instagib ctf pickup. literally everyone was sliding on their knees for the whole game in order to reduce hitbox size. it was boring as ****. so my vote is a 100% no for slide. with wallrun im fine atm.
                  So because it wasnt a fun mechanic when using a specific mutator no one else should be allowed to use it?

Originally posted by Keelback00 View Post
                  I find slide and wallrun to be very fun new features that you can get use out of with knowing how to effectively use them. Slide can be effective in all the maps, but the wallrun/jump mechanic doesn't have many areas it can be applied just yet (at least not that I've seen so far). But, yes, they are both useful game mechanics and I think people just aren't sure how to use them effectively just yet. Also, I feel like some more movement training would be great, like having some time trial movement courses instead of just the one training room.
                  Any wall can be a wall run spot. Wall run is best used not when intended to be used. Most people will generally predict that if you dodge into a wall, you are going to immediately dodge off the wall as well. If you run for a second on the wall, it will drastically alter where the enemy originally predicted you would go.
                  PayBack

Comment

Working...
                  X