Climbing Movement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Climbing Movement?

This is a fairly simply idea that has probably already been tossed around, but I'm going to "suggest" it anyways.

Often times I find myself just missing a ledge by inches, falling short only to have to run back up and retry the jump I was attempting. Or I am halted by a 5 foot wall only to have to run a rediculous distance to get up there. What I'm suggesting is a "catch/climb" mechanic. Now I know this may be an unpopular idea, but what the hell, I've never really cared about being popular. I'd love the ability to climb up small ledges, or catch myself on a ledge as I'm falling. Using a "key-combo" would still be acceptable (double-tap "forward/up" or quick-dash+"forward/up"), but I feel being able to continue moving where you want to go without having to retread your steps would go a long way towards the fluidity of the game. As it stand missing a ledge almost completely breaks your flow, and simply feels clunky in a modern game. Having a "catch" movement that still temporarily slows your character without forcing them to completely retry their attempt, would not only make the movement feel more fluid, but also still gives an enemy chasing/watching you the chance they may need to kill you while you're slowed while "recovering". Anyways, just something I could see the game benefit from. If anyone wants to chime in, present issues etc, I'd be happy to discuss it and see if there might be a more balanced way to implement this type of movement without compromising the core ideals of the gameplay.

To be honest: I can't see it in the core game. It would break every map, because your not supposed to make the jumps that are too long to make, and you would have people crawl/climb at places that don't help the gameplay.
    But as a spider man mod.. why not? Could be fun for some silly frags.

Comment

Basically what Nouse4LivE said:
      in addition to this, many maps have hard jumps just so players screw up easier, and find it hard to reach those areas, if you can suddenly climb up it would ruin everything.
      I would suggest learning how to recover from failed jumps by doing things like dodging back off the walls, additionally, if you carry a piston in your hand, you'll be able to make the last few inches with a quick tap

Comment

this has already been show to epic team, they didn't like it. And players ut99'ers didn't like it.
        here is full video, guy has ultra low settings between but watch movement. Dodge, dodge jump, double jump, climb. as you said

Comment

I saw this vid long ago. Would be good to have such movement mutator in UT4.
          That additional jump near wall like in Warsow, also quick jump off (0:38) is a very original feature (as I understant one can press crotch while in the air and the result will be - quick teleport to the ground)
          Last edited by e1vp; 04-23-2016, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Freedom of movement comes at a cost though, when you can go anywhere from everywhere on maps the gameplay might actually hurt, it feels good when you just move around yourself but fill it with 8-10 players and suddenly it won't look so amazing anymore, way too chaotic to be fun I'd think. :P

Comment

Working...
            X