Can we speed up movement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we speed up movement?

It'd make the game a lot faster which I think would make it better as an arena shooter, it's not fast by PC standards.

Agreed. Even with maxed out FOV and utilizing movement to its full potential, the game feels pretty slow. It was nice for a while after the dodge speed increase several builds back, but now that I'm used to it, it doesn't feel very exciting anymore - and the game is still a floaty mess.

Also Toxxik you should try Stolid's movement prototype, it makes the game feel much more precise and responsive at least, if not much faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxik View Post
      It'd make the game a lot faster which I think would make it better as an arena shooter, it's not fast by PC standards.
      Agreed 100%. The dodge and the jump is much slower and floatier than it was in UT99. So one more vote for speeding it up!
      UT99 Forever - Sniper Arena CTF - Proud member of the Hungarian Sniper Clan between 2006 and 2009.

Comment

Agreed, one more vote for me. The movement feels slow'ish and would be more fun and action packed if it had its speed increased .

I dream of a UT4 where the movement is faster and the rocket launcher do more self damage and a bit slower fire rate. Then you can make kamikaze attacks to an enemy whos firing rockets. This may sound easy but its risky and can cost you multiple deaths (respawn frags). But nevertheless a faster movement will if not alone , but then with the help of a nerfed rocket launcher - will make it possible to do kamikaze attacks against an enemy not being careful with his rockets and surroundings. This way of turning the table around ( lost map control ) - used to be a real alternative method in previous UT's. I don't really see this as an option in UT4, movement is a bit too slow for that and UT4 rocket firerate far too fast and self dmg way too low. Sorry for bringing the RL up here but imo its very connected to the movement discussion.

Comment

Movement speed is fine. Scaling needs to be toned down and dodging could be quicker. It's like you guys want a lightning speed fast game, that's not gonna happen.
          Steam
          irc.globalgamers.net #galaxy #unrealtournament #ut4pugs
          UT Username - nvz
          gg! Galaxy Gaming Community

SPECS
          || Core i5-4670k @ 4.2 gHz || ASUS GTX 1070 4GB VRAM ||ASUS VG248QE ‑ 24in 144Hz || Random 54 inch TV || Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma || Keyboard - Microsoft Sindwinder X4 || Case - Cyberpower Titan X || 16 gb DDR3 RAM || Logitech g930 Wireless Surround sound Headset || Steelseries QCK heavy + Mouse pad ||

#PREALPHA

Comment

Problem lies more in the map sizes tbh, way, way, way too big environments for a UT game. After UT04, this dev went on to publish some not so great or UT like games such as GOW, Warframe, and there are still diversions into even RPG type of stuff. DE took their eye off the ball for years with UT and it shows. The magic and twitch of the game is totally lost. I think it's pretty hopeless all things considered. The devs haven't processed what UT really is about, no community impact, next gen large map emphasis. Too many things wrong and nothing happening to correct it, but again, tbh, if anyone had a clue, we wouldn't be posting this stuff over and over, would we.

Comment

Originally posted by nvz View Post
              Movement speed is fine. Scaling needs to be toned down and dodging could be quicker. It's like you guys want a lightning speed fast game, that's not gonna happen.
              I'm not arguing for a lightning fast game (though I'd want one), but a 6-7% dodge and movement speed increase would really be nice. The eyeheight is so high right now walking around doesn't feel much faster than in DOOM, TBH. Multi-walldodging and wallrunning does still make UT a lot quicker but it's not even close to lighting fast right now.

Comment

Speed is fine
                Cunni, 37 years old, 16 years of UT, 90% CTF, 10% Duel
                https://www.twitch.tv/cunni_ut
                http://plays.tv/u/Cunni
                Discord PUG Community

Comment

Yeah, I think the speed is fine.
                  :|

Comment

A bunch of you are crazy, the game speed is pretty good. I think a handful of tweaks can be made, and using Stolid's movement was the best movement set that I've used.

If scaling would be changed, it could be INCREASED by a few percent instead (and the movement sped up to match too).

My own wish list for movement would closely resemble stolid's movement set - quicker dodging, quicker sliding, stronger gravity.
                    ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
                    Frag video featuring Rookie
                    Frag video featuring Phantaci
                    Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

Comment

Originally posted by Barktooth View Post
                      I'm not arguing for a lightning fast game (though I'd want one), but a 6-7% dodge and movement speed increase would really be nice. The eyeheight is so high right now walking around doesn't feel much faster than in DOOM, TBH. Multi-walldodging and wallrunning does still make UT a lot quicker but it's not even close to lighting fast right now.
                      Dont disagree about the first part but the second Id like some of those drugs please. I dont like the airtime on the dodge myself and movement speed could be faster but I was always a turbo insta player so there hasnt been a fast game since UT...

I can make a mutator to tweak a few speeds, you just have to get everyone whos with you to agree on whats a good %, AirControl values too
                      Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

speed is fine, player scale is the actual problem, they need to revert it to what it was, it caused nothing but problems

Comment

Speed is fine to me although I must admit I play at 115 FOV because anything much lower feels 'slow' and also looks a little wrong to me.

Comment

I'll have to apologize about my friend Barktooth he suffers from lightning fast syndrome. He's always on speed playing video games.
                            Steam
                            irc.globalgamers.net #galaxy #unrealtournament #ut4pugs
                            UT Username - nvz
                            gg! Galaxy Gaming Community

SPECS
                            || Core i5-4670k @ 4.2 gHz || ASUS GTX 1070 4GB VRAM ||ASUS VG248QE ‑ 24in 144Hz || Random 54 inch TV || Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma || Keyboard - Microsoft Sindwinder X4 || Case - Cyberpower Titan X || 16 gb DDR3 RAM || Logitech g930 Wireless Surround sound Headset || Steelseries QCK heavy + Mouse pad ||

#PREALPHA

Comment

I think the main problem is that regardless of how fast the game is, the movement doesn't feel snappy or "quick" as opposed to fast and they can't really do that without ruining the netcode even more than it already is. We just have to deal with the fact that this game isn't going to feel as snappy as UT did.
                              HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                              BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Working...
                              X