Aim-Stop Implementation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aim-Stop Implementation

I think Unreal Tournament should implement Aim-Stop functionality . It is a very simple yet extremely powerfull functionionality .

Aim-Stop : While holding down the Aim-Stop hotkey the player can move the mouse freely without changing the aim position .

This means that when the the user is far out on the mousepad , instead of needing to lift the mouse back to center through mid-air , the user simply holds the Aim-Stop hotkey and moves the mouse back torwards center in full contact with surface . Lifting and landing takes more time and shakes the aim on impact , thus taking more time and achieving less accuracy in comparison to full contact with Aim-Stop . Also landing can damage the mouse unless using a soft enough mouse-pad , which is inferior to a hard surface in both glide and precision .

You can actually try an aim-stop workaround in Counter-Strike by copy-pasting the following thee command lines into the in-game console . Thereafter , to get the hang of it , just side-run in small circles while trying your best to keep your aim in the center of the circle by using the alt-button instead of lifting the mouse . Do this for few minutes , switch directions a few times, whereinafter you will have programmed the technique into your muscle memory .

Code:
    alias +nosens "sensitivity 0" 
    alias -nosens "sensitivity 1.33" 
    bind alt +nosens
    ( 1.33 = my preferred sensitivity , alt = chosen hotkey)

The Aim-Stop hotkey should preferably be bound to shift or alt by default because it is so important and used so often . If this requirement is undoable then make sure it can be re-bound through the options interface , which it should in any case .

So my only question is , when can this be implemented ? Because i really want to start playing "for real" as soon as possible
    Last edited by 2Z1K; 07-21-2016, 04:49 PM. Reason: clarified some details

Originally posted by uns3ns View Post
    So my only question is , when can this be implemented ? Because i really want to start playing "for real" as soon as possible
    Never, Epic can't even be bothered to tweak a few numbers to make Flak and Rockets less OP, I don't expect they'd spend time trying to implement this anytime soon. I have no gripes with something like this personally, and I can see why some people would like such functionality - but you're probably best off messing around with keybinds yourself, there might be a way to do it already with something similar to the commands you posted.

I doubt this will work verbatim, but with a few tweaks a command like this in input.ini might be able to do what you want:

LocalBinds=(KeyName="LeftAlt",EventType=IE_Pressed,Command="SetSensitivityUT 0",FriendlyName=)
    LocalBinds=(KeyName="LeftAlt",EventType=IE_Released,Command="SetSensitivityUT 1.33",FriendlyName=)

Actually I doubt you could get it to work, bindings are pretty lacking right now and it's impossible to get them to do what you want.

Comment

Thanks for the information . I still believe Epic will sooner or later must realise the importance of this feature . Incoroporating those two lines as an option menu item shouldnt take more than a copuple of minutes . And until they do this UT will not appeal to professional fps players . Once you get the feel of Aim-Stop you will never want to play a fps game ever again which doesnt support it . In UT it is especially important because the rapid movement combined with close combat scenarios . As you can see from the previous post is not hard to create a work-around for this feature , and even if UT wouldnt allow it it can be easily done with some out-of-game controller software programming , thus creating an unfair advantage and increasing the skill-gap between the high and low skill players . Maybe when they do some more of the much needed work on key bindings they can spend a couple of minutes making the game work properly ...

Comment

Thanks for the information . I still believe Epic will sooner or later must realise the importance of this feature .
        Considering the fact that I've never heard of anyone using something like this before and that you're probably the only person in the whole community who would play with it, I'm doubtful.

Incoroporating those two lines as an option menu item shouldnt take more than a copuple of minutes . And until they do this UT will not appeal to professional fps players . Once you get the feel of Aim-Stop you will never want to play a fps game ever again which doesnt support it . In UT it is especially important because the rapid movement combined with close combat scenarios .
        Yes, and Epic can't be bothered to spend 2 minutes on a myriad of other options that more people want implemented. Come back in 7 years, maybe they will have time for your idea then. Also UT won't appeal to pro players because of this? There're 134074 more important reasons as to why this game can't be played competitively right now.

increasing the skill-gap between the high and low skill players
        This is something the game needs more of right now anyway. But if you have to press a separate key every time you're running out of mousepad space I think you're the one at a disadvantage here.

Anyway basically what I'm saying is that it's extremely unlikely your idea will be implemented officially anytime soon (if ever), so either do it on your own with outside programs or get used to lifting your mouse.

Comment

It is , that not many games have implemented this , which for me is an advantage , giving UT cutting edge fps functionality . But at least counter-strike can activate it fairly easily from console ... unlike UT which requires one to edit a text file and add code a whole lot more advanced than what is written in the cs console , which "might" work . Anyways , i think ive made the advantage points clear now , so now its up to the developers .

So is this how the community driven development works , that we simply hang out in the forums discussing stuff , and maybe a hired developer or project leader passes by and gets inspired by what we are discussing ?

And btw , why would UT , or any game , want a large skill gap between high and low players ? Does not compute .

Comment

So is this how the community driven development works , that we simply hang out in the forums discussing stuff , and maybe a hired developer or project leader passes by and gets inspired by what we are discussing ?
            Dunno, Epic say they read the forums but none of the ideas ever get implemented and most feedback gets ignored.

And btw , why would UT , or any game , want a large skill gap between high and low players ? Does not compute .
            It means that you are rewarded appropriately for your skills. If there was a low skill gap, there'd be no point in improving your skills because it wouldn't give you any advantage over a player who just picked up the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Barktooth View Post
              Dunno, Epic say they read the forums but none of the ideas ever get implemented and most feedback gets ignored.
              I had the impression that it was going to be a somewhat open source project , but maybe it was exaggerated . Im not sure if fully open-source would be the solution for this development project , but i do believe the game needs a much better feedback system . Well , at least they are aiming torwards the right direction

Originally posted by Barktooth View Post
              It means that you are rewarded appropriately for your skills. If there was a low skill gap, there'd be no point in improving your skills because it wouldn't give you any advantage over a player who just picked up the game.
              Interesting concept . Personally i like games where the skill gap is smooth , so that more players can play together , makes it easier for beginners to believe in themselves , that one day they could be a pro player . It's also easier for skilled players to recruit friends .

Anyways , the skill gap i was talking about was compared between "borderline hackers" , those who hard-code their keyboard to disconnect the mouse , usually high-skilled , and the rest of the players ... doesn't seem quite right .
              Last edited by 2Z1K; 07-25-2016, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Well, the source is there. Someone could make a mod and show us how important this is. Personally I'm not sold that this is really a needed feature.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
                  Personally I'm not sold that this is really a needed feature.
                  It's a command line macro, which is arguably a "cheat". It is in my book, anyway.

A "Suicide button" should be implemented for the sake of convenience and to enhance game flow. An aim macro should not be added because it enhances the player's abilities beyond what they would otherwise be capable of doing with their normal hand and mouse. Gonna vote NO on this one.
                  ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
                  Frag video featuring Rookie
                  Frag video featuring Phantaci
                  Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

Comment

I don't expect either to be added but I'm fine with someone else doing it and posting a movie showing how it makes the game better for everyone, not 2 or 3 people. And no, I don't feel like re-debating suicide as a valid gameplay mechanic so stop right there.

Comment

I use a NAOS 7000 mouse, which allows you to configure the height at which the mouse stops tracking (When you lift the mouse).

It's not the same, but you could try that.

I think, overall, it's a strange solution to a very minor problem.
                      Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

Comment

Working...
                      X