Smart jump button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart jump button

Can a smart single button jump/doge system be implemented please. UT has been using the doge system for decades but I am still convinced it can be improved allot. Double tapping is definitely of the table for me, takes way too long to press a key twice when projectiles are incoming, a separate doge button is a improvement but still not fast enough for me.

Suggested improvement:

- Holding doge button should also be able to do wall rides
    - Enable backwards wall rides to pull back while shooting
    - Smart jump that translates into doge when a direction key is pressed simultaneously and normal jump when no direction key is pressed simultaneously.
    - Forward doge should feel like a faster extended normal jump, so the doge height must be adjusted for a forward / backward doge so it can replace a normal forward jump.
    Last edited by Gert Cuykens; 03-13-2017, 12:52 PM.

Backwards wall running would be very weird.

- Smart jump that translates into doge when arrow key is pressed simultaneously and normal jump when no arrow key is pressed simultaneously.

Why would you want this ^, you would lose some movement control?

- Forward doge should feel like a faster extended normal jump, so the doge height must be adjusted for a forward / backward doge so it can replace a normal forward jump.

Again with this ^ you would lose some control and gain nothing. Why should dodge forward and backward have greater height?

Comment

Have you experimented with other keyboards? For instance Cherry MX blue or reds? Or tried low profile keys or some of the other switch brands? I like clicky light switches for UT just for dodging, where other FPS I'd rather use heavy smooth switches (Blacks).

The keyboard, caps, and switches can all make a difference in the time it takes and the feel of the double tap.

Comment

Originally posted by Unreal Gladiator View Post
        Backwards wall running would be very weird.
        A option to turn it off or on for people who don't like it would solve this. I do backward wall riding all the time in another well known game.

Originally posted by ness 710 View Post
        Have you experimented with other keyboards? For instance Cherry MX blue or reds? Or tried low profile keys or some of the other switch brands?
        Maybe this would help I agree, have to try it but I am sceptical because when I peek corners going left right left right, it feels natural on my current keyboard, I am not saying double tap would not be improved with better keys, I just think I am phisical incapable to double tap as fast as my brain wants me to.

- Doge button does normal jump when no direction key is pressed simultaneously
        - Holding doge button should also be able to do wall rides
        Can we agree on the normal jump and holding the dedicated doge button should enable wall riding please, it doesn't affect current play style and fairly easy to implement I assume.
        Last edited by Gert Cuykens; 03-13-2017, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Compared to a MX brown keys mechanical KB even then I felt it was slower than my old rubberdome keyboard with standard/medium-profile keys (the mechanical ones were a bit taller) and had to adjust dodge double tap delay to be longer as a result but ultimately the noise made me not keep it but I think if you got a mechanical I guess one should use either reds or black switches for UT. Whit my old rubberdome I have no issues with double tap being too slow, I always use it in combat versus single tap dodge.

I might give mechanical another try when I can get MX Silent red or black switches along with lower profile keys like the ones released by Tesoro, the tall key profiles on for example Corsair KBs surely is another slowing factor IMO that doesn't feel either comfortable to me.
          Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 03-12-2017, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Blacks are nice because they help prevent accidental key presses but they are also kinda fatiguing for a game like UT where you make a ton of light taps.

I actually like the "click" for the blues as it helps me know when I've hit the actuation point and makes it easier to double tap dodge for me.

Some people might like Reds with spacers to lessen the travel even more.

Cherry also makes some low profile keys and I think Razer does as well. Mechanical switches may not be the best for UT a good scissor dome or membrane may feel better for dodging to some people.

Comment

Arrow keys? Unable to double tap fast enough? Sounds like an age issue. :P

UT movement is comparatively complex enough without globally implementing individual compensations. Wall running backwards while shooting seems like a reasonable desire...weird, but whatever.
              My Unreal game collection. Unreal series screenshots (2560x1440)

Comment

There was a single dodge key. Not sure if it's still there.
                Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

Comment

Working...
                X