• Show
Clear All

My Ideas for Movement Controls

Double Tap Crouch=Slide
    Hold Left Control=Walk
    Crouch then Jump=Dodge
    Press Jump(Next to wall)=Wall Dodge
    Press V=Toggle Jump Boots
    and custom key combinations would be nice too.
    Last edited by Jakeonna; 04-13-2017, 12:21 AM.
    I use to be a tournament competitor like you till I got concrete to the knee.

I think Crouch+Jump=Dodge wouldn't be quite comfortable.

Anyway... I also think we need a Walk key binding.

-Luigi Rapetta
    (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
    Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

I would like to keep the seperate slidebutton (with option to abort). Press and hold to slide in movement direction and release to get up.

You would be less predictable in combat and could move more efficiƫnt (for instance sliding towards an elevator and time your slide for an elevator jump).

Comment

A walk key would be nice, yeah. Imo the current slide/crouch controls suck. I usually use slide to go under things so if i'm not moving fast enough to slide i'd like to have the game crouch when i press the slide key instead. It all worked just fine when double-binding was allowed :/
        :|

Comment

I also want a dedicated walk key. Toggle jump boots would be great too as it's impossible to wall dodge with boots right now

Comment

Originally posted by rapfamily4 View Post
            I think Crouch+Jump=Dodge wouldn't be quite comfortable.

Anyway... I also think we need a Walk key binding.
            I feel like single tap dodge is kind of a cheat towards those who use double tap, so I was thinking it would be a good idea to have to crouch first before you could use single tap dodge and jump could act as single tap dodge for a some duration after releasing crouch. I've been playing around with the idea on my keyboard. It feels comfortable to me, but it might not to some people.

Comment

How can something be a cheat while every player has an option to use it.

i use both single and double tap

Comment

I think single tap dodge is really useful in terms of reaction times and comfort. It also makes strafe and small movements safer, while the double tap option is deactivated.

Regarding the crouch/slide control, I really like it: it simplified to me a lot of things. The only issue with this is the fact you have to stop moving if you want to crouch only.

As eBoLa said, it's really difficult to perform a proper wall dodge with jump boots, or even worse: a wall run. Really, to perform a wall run you should keep pressing the spacebar until you reach the wall. To wall run, I usually press the spacebar twice: the first to jump and the second to wall run. When I have boots, this technique is often subject of desperate errors... But at the same time, it's really comfortable to activate boots like a double jump... Dilemmas...

Anyway, in my opinion talking about "cheating" is inappropriate: it would be the same with people who choose weapons with key bindings instead of the mouse weel. A control set shouldn't be considered a cheat, even though some of them are more performant than others.

-Luigi Rapetta
                (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
                Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

I'd like doubletapping jump to activate boots. Would remove the wall run issue. Would also remove stupid moments where u get bumped 1 unit into the air 3ms before you try to jump and it ends up wasting the boots..

Comment

Originally posted by rapfamily4 View Post
                    I think single tap dodge is really useful in terms of reaction times and comfort. It also makes strafe and small movements safer, while the double tap option is deactivated.

Regarding the crouch/slide control, I really like it: it simplified to me a lot of things. The only issue with this is the fact you have to stop moving if you want to crouch only.

As eBoLa said, it's really difficult to perform a proper wall dodge with jump boots, or even worse: a wall run. Really, to perform a wall run you should keep pressing the spacebar until you reach the wall. To wall run, I usually press the spacebar twice: the first to jump and the second to wall run. When I have boots, this technique is often subject of desperate errors... But at the same time, it's really comfortable to activate boots like a double jump... Dilemmas...

Anyway, in my opinion talking about "cheating" is inappropriate: it would be the same with people who choose weapons with key bindings instead of the mouse weel. A control set shouldn't be considered a cheat, even though some of them are more performant than others.
                    What do you think about the idea of a key to switch between jump boots and wall running modes?
                    Now that I think about it, my 12 extra buttons that I use for weapon switching on the side of my mouse was like cheating too until the weapon wheel was added. Balanced controls isn't something I usually think about, but for some odd reason I thought about it for dodge. It might just be because I've seen people on here conplain about it.
                    Last edited by Jakeonna; 04-13-2017, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JBcathers2 View Post
                      What do you think about the idea of a key to switch between jump boots and wall running modes?
                      I think it could be quite unintuitive and mechanical: if I wanted to wall run, but I forgot to press the switch key, I would accidentally use jump boots. It should be like returning to the start point (of the issue).

-Luigi Rapetta
                      (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

Now that I think about it, my 12 extra buttons that I use for weapon switching on the side of my mouse was like cheating too until the weapon wheel was added.
                        Um no, that's not how it works. It's not cheating to use different, in-built settings to other players.

Comment

Originally posted by Flikswich View Post

Um no, that's not how it works. It's not cheating to use different, in-built settings to other players.
                          I never actually said that it is cheating. I said it is like cheating.

Comment

I like flikswich's idea of doubletapping jump to activate boots. It may be intentional to have it either/or wrt wallrunning and boot jumping but it seems unnecessarily restrictive to me.

Comment

I never actually said that it is cheating. I said it is like cheating.
                              Same still applies, it's still not "like cheating" either.

Comment

Working...
                              X