Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

devs are deaf though

Comment

I'm all in for some interesting changes to the movement mechanics.
      I needs to be way more fluid and fun to move around than it is currently.

Comment

Just a small note though - as far as controlling this movement goes, I'm not sure which of the following would be the better choice:

1. Player presses Jump immediately after landing
        2. Player holds Jump while dodging
        Snir "DDRRE" Hassidim - Living and breathing UT since 2002!
        "When Video Games and the Enterprise Meet" - Read my chronicles of building a gamers club at my workplace.
        Facebook | LinkedIn

Comment

This kills the sprint.

The point of the landing speed factor is to "balance" dodging. It's basically a multiplier acting towards your velocity, that's why a high number give you the impression to bounce if you jump on landing as it reduces you velocity loss on landing.
          That's not something I'm particularly against, although I'd rather keep it low and reduce time between dodges instead. However as I said, this kills the sprint, and Epic seems to love sprint seeing how they desperately try to keep it despite the massive backlash.

Comment

Ooh looking forward to trying this when home. It looks like it could replace the dodge-roll as a more fun alternative, but can't really comment till I've tried it.
            UT4: CTF-Defiance, CTF-Melt.
            Epic - This video made me smile: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-p.../2300-6418948/
            "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Another interesting idea to get something fresh and new into the whole movement system. I am curious to what you are going to show next.

I know you are looking to make this playable via a mutator, but I could also imagine something like this in the core movement system. For example with a decreasing bounce-strength we would not end up in bunnyhopping.
              Or why not use that mechanic to activate sprint. So after you bounce and land, you are sprinting. That would actually be more fun, than just walk in a straight line.
              Last edited by Danielito; 09-02-2014, 06:23 AM.

Comment

I like this fresh idea Funeral. It seems very much like dodge jump just less vertical. I like the faster map traversal but it may be just a tad too fast to get around. Slightly less and I think it could be very interesting to see this tested out with a lot of players in a map. I think the mechanic could be viable it just might need some tweaking.
                irc.globalgamers.net | #2k4ctf |#ut4pugs | #unrealtournament | Ownedwell.com | UT2004 Grail

Comment

I can get behind a DLSF of 1.0. Might give the game some fluidity, which it sorely lacks.

Comment

Wow! It looks great!
                    + map running isn't so clunky as before. And it fits naturally and organically.
                    + MOAR tricks
                    + you can quickly switch ditance between your enemy or rumaway from the battle, so the battle is more skillfull and has more variability.
                    - what about map size? The main reason of not including dodge-jump was the big size of maps relatively a player model size. But as I can see, you don't have to increase map size for this movement.

I hope to see it in UT4

Comment

What I want to see is this combined with wall run.

Comment

This seriously should be considered. Could epic and more people weigh in on this?? As a jaded and kinda butthurt 2k4 player (womp womp) who feels like the current core movement is lacking something to replace the fun factor and UT-like feel of dodge jump, I feel this is an EXCELLENT and fresh alternative that could get me excited about this project again. Maybe it could use some tweaking for balance and scale purposes, but I for one LOVE IT. More innovations like this could make UT4 inviting for all generations, new and old.

Funeral, kudos to you sir!
                        Last edited by Gormeroth; 09-23-2014, 07:22 PM.

Comment

I have a bit more time now after a crazy busy summer. Not sure if OP was around right at the beginning of development but this is almost identical to a prototype I put out in the first 2-3 weeks of the project. So obviously I stand by it and still think it's a good idea although the version I had the bounce was less pronounced. It's funny reading through the comments seeing the same names discuss exactly the same arguments on the same subject 3 months down the line.

From my perspective there is desire by a significant quantity of this community for a Bounce/slide/roll effect to preserve momentum in some way to smooth out UT movement while not going full Quake. I've downloaded the alpha and had a play online with people and the current roll implementation feels pretty much useless to the point that it straight up hinders you. Something in between the current roll and this dodge implementation should be looked at to find a useful but not over powered middle ground. I think the crux of the issue is many people don't like the: (dodge -> run a couple of steps -> dodge -> run a bit more) style of play. I'm pretty sure Steve Polge a while back mirrored this from the Epic team and this is how sprint was born. By putting some kind of movement tool as an option between dodges it would smooth out the experience. Maybe that would kill the feel of the game, but without multiplayer testing in the alpha we'll never know.
                          "Gilanguar"

Comment

Originally posted by Gilanguar View Post
                            I have a bit more time now after a crazy busy summer. Not sure if OP was around right at the beginning of development but this is almost identical to a prototype I put out in the first 2-3 weeks of the project. So obviously I stand by it and still think it's a good idea although the version I had the bounce was less pronounced. It's funny reading through the comments seeing the same names discuss exactly the same arguments on the same subject 3 months down the line.

From my perspective there is desire by a significant quantity of this community for a Bounce/slide/roll effect to preserve momentum in some way to smooth out UT movement while not going full Quake. I've downloaded the alpha and had a play online with people and the current roll implementation feels pretty much useless to the point that it straight up hinders you. Something in between the current roll and this dodge implementation should be looked at to find a useful but not over powered middle ground. I think the crux of the issue is many people don't like the: (dodge -> run a couple of steps -> dodge -> run a bit more) style of play. I'm pretty sure Steve Polge a while back mirrored this from the Epic team and this is how sprint was born. By putting some kind of movement tool as an option between dodges it would smooth out the experience. Maybe that would kill the feel of the game, but without multiplayer testing in the alpha we'll never know.
                            I feel ya, and wish you luck with the idea. I've let the UT Trolls run me off. And I'm a vocal minority. Imagine how many talented developers they have run off who didn't post their displeasure. You know who I'm talking about.
                            Sorry to any who wanted to see more but I don't have the time to fight a war of attrition on who's ideas are accepted and who's are not.
                            Paying $20 a month to only see every idea in the forums crapped on is too much. I will keep my time and money.
                            Now I just read the forums once or twice a month and see that the same podcasting vocal minority is still up to the same old same old.
                            gg Epic.

Comment

Originally posted by xFuneralx View Post
                              I feel ya, and wish you luck with the idea. I've let the UT Trolls run me off. And I'm a vocal minority. Imagine how many talented developers they have run off who didn't post their displeasure. You know who I'm talking about.
                              Sorry to any who wanted to see more but I don't have the time to fight a war of attrition on who's ideas are accepted and who's are not.
                              Paying $20 a month to only see every idea in the forums crapped on is too much. I will keep my time and money.
                              Now I just read the forums once or twice a month and see that the same podcasting vocal minority is still up to the same old same old.
                              gg Epic.
                              Make a mutator that people can try it with. At this point in development you don't just have to show a video or talk about it, you can make something people can use.
                              HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                              BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
                                Make a mutator that people can try it with. At this point in development you don't just have to show a video or talk about it, you can make something people can use.
                                Yes please do make a mutator. I very much want this mechanic in the game. It gives the movement a fluid appearance that would translate well and improve the satisfaction from map traversal all while maintaining the grounded feel the develops are looking for. If you make a mutator people can play with it, and when they like it we can hopefully get enought support to persuade the developers to put in the base game. Don't give up. This is the best movement mechanic proposal I have seen to date.

Comment

Working...
                                X