Idea - DodgeBounce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idea - DodgeBounce

This is an idea based on a parameter change and a lucky space bar stroke or at least that is how I found it.
    I copied the SteveUTCharacter, renamed it, and changed the "dodge landing speed factor" from 0.2 to 1.0-1.5 and
    the result is a type of horizontal bounce. I played with it last night for about 5 hours on different maps and really like
    how it connects things. There isn't a vertical benefit so it doesn't really break things.
    Here is a video. Sorry for the background noise. Im in Dallas and its hot hot hot. AC and fans are going hard!
    Dodge Landing Speed Factor is set to 1.05 in this video if you would like to try it.
    http://www.twitch.tv/xfuneralx/b/551215091
    *edit* here is a Youtube video that I can embed
    Last edited by xFuneralx; 07-25-2014, 11:32 PM.

I added a Youtube video I could embed.
    Thanks for watching and let me know what you think.
    No holy wars.

Comment

Well, it certainly seems like an interesting mechanic, although it seems a little too much like bunnyhop, even if its only done once. Another problem I see with this is that although it looks like fun, would there ever be a reason to not dodge-bounce with the mechanic added? I feel that is a concern. It might be a good mechanic though after some tweaking and if debating on it decides that it isn't bad for a concept.

Also, what's the map you are playing on? The concept looks like it might be similar to AS-Rook in theme, and I like that.

Comment

It is another option to get in or out of a situation is the way I view it.
        Excellent for quick grabs and closing distance. Just an idea that I want to understand more.
        Maybe core gameplay, maybe a mutator, either way, I want to know more about how to create bp's that can affect movement or find the characters game state.
        Im an admitted UE4 newbie, but I love all the Unreal games and wanted to get involved. This is what I have so far and I like it. I need to pick someones brain in TS or Vent.
        Thanks for the feedback MacD11
        The map is DM-SidCastle and it's great!

I don't know how to build a prototype. Is this a prototype?
        Someone point me in the right direction. I need help to evolve this idea.
        Thanks.
        Last edited by xFuneralx; 07-26-2014, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Looks nice and smooth , I actually had the same idea a while ago but I just didn't know how to make it happen.
          https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...ase-both-camps

Comment

Ya it's an old idea, it's the first thing that I thought about. I wanted to chain anything after a dodge, Jump, wall-dodge, bounce again, ect ^^
            Question, can you wall-dodge with the bounce? The best thing would be if you could dodge again. Then it's basically the filler idea we had some time ago. Just like slide only a jump.
            Last edited by Tetsu; 07-26-2014, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by garuDa View Post
              Looks nice and smooth , I actually had the same idea a while ago but I just didn't know how to make it happen.
              https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...ase-both-camps
              Love it! Just a happy accident on my end.

Originally posted by Tetsu View Post
              I wanted to chain anything after a dodge, Jump, wall-dodge, bounce again, ect ^^
              Question, can you wall-dodge with the bounce? The best thing would be if you could dodge again. Then it's basically the filler idea we had some time ago. Just like slide only a jump.
              Yes!
              Here is a video of me chaining the BounceDodges together. Mind you, this is hard as hell. Try it. It's pretty skill based until I can figure out how to load the jump key. Right now, you have to time it PERFECT.
              That might end up being a really good thing.

Comment

quake3 arena.. ?

Comment

Originally posted by raxxy View Post
                  quake3 arena.. ?
                  Painkiller anyone?

Pretty neat concept, I must say. And I like it. Not sure about gameplay mechanics, and how it would affect, and stuff... But it's somewhat physically-based, isn't it?
                  Anyway, looking forward to it!

Comment

There's nothing stopping you from jumping as soon as you land

You go into a shorter jump if you jump during the dodge velocity reset, if walk was in the game you could also do a walk jump whist doing this

So you could dodge and then do a short, fast jump in any direction(not just straight ahead like in your videos)

This mechanic also looks like the 'bounce' sends you further and faster than a dodge... there's already a game with those sorts of moves, it's Quake, in case my riddle was too hard

This mechanic already exists in the game(if no one got my actual point) and isn't as abusive, plus it gives you much more control
                    Last edited by tigerclaw; 07-27-2014, 02:55 AM.

Comment

This is absolutely totally awesome! I want this!

Comment

Originally posted by tigerclaw View Post

Go play Quiver.
                        GTFO out of my thread, tired of you constantly trolling.
                        Anyone else tired of this guys ****? How can I block this troll?

Edit* Blocked Mr. Beyond Trolling
                        Last edited by xFuneralx; 07-26-2014, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazzle View Post
                          This is absolutely totally awesome! I want this!
                          You will have it. I just need to learn more about UE4 to make this into an optional setting.
                          Any help is appreciated.
                          Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by xFuneralx View Post
                            You will have it. I just need to learn more about UE4 to make this into an optional setting.
                            Any help is appreciated.
                            Thanks in advance.
                            It appears that changing the "dodge landing speed factor" to above 1.0 gives you a burst of acceleration and if jumped quickly enough launches you in the air rather than hitting the ground.

I'd say you need to at least know the players velocity or direction (if they are in the air or mid dodge?), detect when the player has landed, then launch the character in that direction

Get Player Character --> Get Velocity
                            Get Player Character --> Launch Character
                            Get Player Character --> Bind Event to OnActorHit

You'll have to figure out if it's the ground / slope / wall etc based on the Impact normal (angle of surface hit)

Hope this is a little bit helpful start.. I only know a little bit myself!
                            Last edited by sneh; 07-26-2014, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sneh View Post
                              It appears that changing the "dodge landing speed factor" to above 1.0 gives you a burst of acceleration and if jumped quickly enough launches you in the air rather than hitting the ground.

I'd say you need to at least know the players velocity or direction (if they are in the air or mid dodge?), detect when the player has landed, then launch the character in that direction

Get Player Character --> Get Velocity
                              Get Player Character --> Launch Character
                              Get Player Character --> Bind Event to OnActorHit

Hope this is a little bit helpful start.. I only know a little bit myself!
                              Thanks for the beacon of hope sneh.
                              I will try this and mess with it some more.
                              Thanks again!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X