Sprint poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sprint poll

I wanted to make a somewhat scientific poll about this issue. Keep it clean guys.

Sprint is a new movement mechanic where after 2 seconds your character will start to move faster. Sprint speed is 1250 as opposed to the 960 base movement speed. To maintain sprint you must continue moving mostly forward. Strafe too much, or turn too sharply with the mouse and the sprint cancels.
    Strongly approve
    6.45%
    Somewhat approve
    16.13%
    Neutral
    15.32%
    Somewhat disapprove
    16.13%
    Strongly disapprove
    45.97%
    Last edited by TheWhiteDragon; 08-31-2014, 11:18 AM.
    BeyondUnreal Podcast
    r/UnrealTournament Moderator

Sprint should be instant without a ramp up and add walk. Then if people need to go slow in 1 on 1 DM so other person cannot hear them then so be it.

Comment

Neutral, although I do disapprove of the current implementation of Sprint as described by the OP. The reason I put neutral is because I can understand in a DM arena situation why this feature would be useful without much harm. A player can use his impact hammer in combination with sprint to charge down his enemy which has proven to be effective by the game footage I've watched. This to me is a good feature to add to UT and proper balancing of the impact hammer damage output can yield desirable results with sprint in mind. Unfortunately, the good comes with the bad and sprint is no exception. As just recently posted in the "Please Explain Epic" thread, sprint (with its current implementation) can be an absolute game-breaker for the CTF gametype. The main reason(s) as follows:

A player who is new to playing CTF in Unreal Tournament is absolutely encouraged to sprint in a straight line forward with the flag in CTF. It would make the most sense for the new player to want to hold down W to traverse the map as fast as he/she could to get to the other side..... simple logic. My main concern with this is the fact that about 70-80% of the time, a skilled CTF player who takes the enemies flag will be constantly back-peddling to check and see if enemies from the opposing team are following/shooting at them. If sprint is going to stay in UT, there needs to be a way to gain the full speed boost holding S (backwards) as well as W (forwards) and be able to zig-zag with the strafe keys while executing it. This would encourage new players to use sprint with a higher level of tactics in mind and not encourage to stick to one vector (namely their enemy they are chasing down with the impact hammer). Furthermore, it should be possible for a player to make a quick 180 degree to to maintain their momentum from a forward sprint to a backwards sprint.
      Last edited by Quadj130; 08-27-2014, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadj130 View Post
        Neutral, although I do disapprove of the current implementation of Sprint as described by the OP. The reason I put neutral is because I can understand in a DM arena situation why this feature would be useful without much harm. A player can use his impact hammer in combination with sprint to charge down his enemy which has proven to be effective by the game footage I've watched. This to me is a good feature to add to UT and proper balancing of the impact hammer damage output can yield desirable results with sprint in mind. Unfortunately, the good comes with the bad and sprint is no exception. As just recently posted in the "Please Explain Epic" thread, sprint (with its current implementation) can be an absolute game-breaker for the CTF gametype. The main reason(s) as follows:

A player who is new to playing CTF in Unreal Tournament is absolutely encouraged to sprint in a straight line forward with the flag in CTF. It would make the most sense for the new player to want to hold down W to traverse the map as fast as he/she could to get to the other side..... simple logic. My main concern with this is the fact that about 70-80% of the time, a skilled CTF player who takes the enemies flag will be constantly back-peddling to check and see if enemies from the opposing team are following/shooting at them. If sprint is going to stay in UT, there needs to be a way to gain the full speed boost holding S (backwards) as well as W (forwards) and be able to zig-zag with the strafe keys while executing it. This would encourage new players to use sprint with a higher level of tactics in mind and not encourage to stick to one vector (namely their enemy they are chasing down with the impact hammer). Furthermore, it should be possible for a player to make a quick 180 degree to to maintain their momentum from a forward sprint to a backwards sprint.
        Agreed. You have put forward very clearly what I was thinking

Comment

In my opinion I think if we have to have a sprint mechanic it should just be a manual sprint with a stamina system or something on LShift. Wall run/slide on space bar held down, and roll if moving, tap/hold crouch to activate. All these still need tweaking, revamping or removing for maybe something better, I just don't like automated moves, especially ones that aren't intuitive and out of the players physical control. In my opinion a player should consciously press a button to activate a "move" depending on the given situation.

I feel the entire movement system needs more thought and another look, where do we really want to go with the movement? All these new movement mechanics offer little to no benefit and just hurt the player using them, they need more identity.
          Last edited by Esula; 08-27-2014, 11:26 PM.
          [Concept] Impact Hammer: Alternative Fire
          [Concept] Game Mode: Infiltration

Comment

It's kind of awkward in a style of game where freedom of movement is emphasized that you would have something that has a big trade off between freedom of movement and just raw speed. I'd like to see it re-imagined a bit, maybe as a combo move where you can quickly go into a sprint after say you dodge roll with a timing window to press jump that kicks you out of the roll and into sprint.
            I think it can be made to fit into the movement style UT4 is developing but doubt that it can be balanced in a way that we haven't already seen e.g. the acceleration, strafe keys break sprint, weapons are 'holstered' while sprinting, or increased footstep sounds.

Comment

I think this poll's options are unequal to the depth of the topic.

IMO the "sprint" mechanic in general is absolutely worth pursuing, however I find the current implementation to be contrived and obtrusive.

In detail:
              It is not helpful to have Sprint (or indeed any movement) be activated automatically. Rather, it should be a command (like any other) to which the human controller's high-level thought process can be mapped — i.e., if the human thinks, "time to start sprinting!", then the facility must exist whereby the human-controlled character will promptly, without delay, begin accelerating into a sprint.

Any level of responsiveness short of that does not sufficiently correspond to the human experience, and makes for a mechanic that is — to put it charitably — not everything it could be.

So then, back to the poll — given those lines of reasoning, do I "approve" or "disapprove"?

Comment

Seems like you somewhat approve then.
                HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

… and yet somewhat disapprove.

Or maybe the approval-disapproval pair just annihilates into a sad little neutrinopinion.
                  ☑︎ meh.

Comment

The potential worth of sprint as I see it is that you have the opportunity to move faster than what (instant) run speed ever would be.
                    Some people argue get rid of sprint and just make run faster, which is fair enough, but it would never be near 1250

The current implementation is okay, but isn't exactly super exciting. What would I change?

I would consider adding at least one or more ways to get sprinting faster. When I want to sprint, I feel quite vulnerable for those first 2 painfully long seconds
                    Not sure about getting to max sprint instantly, but at least making the delay zero.
                    My natural thought would be Dodge -> Sprint but that seems to go against a lot of other intentional decisions.
                    Launching out of a Roll -> Sprint I guess could make sense, or something else

Also possibly tied to that, a way to continue sprinting after jumping or going off a small ledge
                    Last edited by sneh; 08-28-2014, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sneh View Post
                      The potential worth of sprint as I see it is that you have the opportunity to move faster than what (instant) run speed ever would be.
                      Some people argue get rid of sprint and just make run faster, which is fair enough, but it would never be near 1250

The current implementation is okay, but isn't exactly super exciting. What would I change?

I would consider adding at least one or more ways to get sprinting faster. When I want to sprint, I feel quite vulnerable for those first 2 painfully long seconds
                      Not sure about getting to max sprint instantly, but at least making the delay zero.
                      My natural thought would be Dodge -> Sprint but that seems to go against a lot of other intentional decisions.
                      Launching out of a Roll -> Sprint I guess could make sense, or something else

Also possibly tied to that, a way to continue sprinting after jumping or going off a small ledge
                      You will never see anyone sprinting because it's no different from simply walking, you are way too easy to hit/predict, not to ignore that this ability creates very lazy people that just won't learn to dodge properly because it's inferior in speed when it shouldn't.

You want sprint? We had that via Adrenalin and that worked, a bit OP but you also had to waste your adrenalin for it so...
                      Last edited by Yaiklai; 08-28-2014, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sneh View Post

I would love Dodge->Sprint

allow us to keep sprinting after jumps etc as well and I'd be into it.

The only problem would be that an aggressive attacker chasing someone down would have an advantage against someone backpedalling.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadj130 View Post
                          I strongly disagree with this.

You either go max speed or look back to defend yourself. You can't have both. The forward only sprint encourages team play, where one or two team members cover your back while you escape.

Originally posted by Chocks View Post
                          I would love Dodge->Sprint

allow us to keep sprinting after jumps etc as well and I'd be into it.

The only problem would be that an aggressive attacker chasing someone down would have an advantage against someone backpedalling.
                          The problem I see there is, that seasoned players would be in constant sprint mode, The normal run would be at the end just a hindrance overused by rookies.

The way sprint works now is a behavioural thing. You are either agile (dodging, jumping, strafing), or you're fast (straight sprint). It is a well structured and even mechanic. Can't (or shouldn't) have both, because if you do, that mechanic is drawn to be overused or abused.
                          Last edited by Psychomorph; 08-28-2014, 04:12 AM.

Comment

I'm not going to tell you how to answer the polls. Just answer the question based on what best matches your current opinion.
                            BeyondUnreal Podcast
                            r/UnrealTournament Moderator

Comment

If I can dodge or sprint, I am going to dodge. I will likely only being playing with people of my skill level which will likely only be dodging as well. I see no problem leaving this option in the game. If it helps bring in new players then it's well worth it to have this completely OPTIONAL mechanic in the game. People need to stop thinking on such a small scale, what good is this game if it's only purpose is to appease the few hundred people that never left previous versions of the game. UT needs new blood, if that means a few options that are not real popular with those of us that have been around for awhile, then so be it. I want thousands of new players, not a few happy old timers that have already shown that if they are not given what they want that they will just keep playing the old favorites.

Comment

Working...
                              X