Making UT4 movement more fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making UT4 movement more fluid

I've heard a number of times complaints from players of other fps games such as counterstrike or quake referencing the "jerky" or "hitchy" movement in UT4 as why they don't like it.
    I think a few things could be done to alleviate this and perhaps enhance the gameplay in the process.

1. Air velocity (dodge velocity) could be fully preserved until ground contact is made, instead of gradually lost in air.
    2. Velocity not instantly capped to run velocity when ground contact is made, instead velocity is gradually lost back down to run velocity.
    3. Slide fully preserves velocity but with greatly lowered ground friction (loss of directional control as is current).
    4. Remove dodge cooldown, but lower ground friction incrementally each time a player chains dodges. This would allow players to dodge immediately upon landing, but cause the Slide effect of loss of directional control if done in quick succession (without the benefit of the smaller hitbox).
    Last edited by burawura; 04-15-2017, 01:45 AM.

I like these ideas and would be for teting them. I am also in the camp of players, who woul like more fluid movement as the curent one feels slow and restricting to me.

Comment

I'm pretty sure you don't lose velocity while in the air. There's a variable for that, and it's set to 0 iirc.

Comment

One of the reasons I prefer UT2004 movement over the current movement in this new UT is that you don't have to spam dodge nearly as much to move from point A to point B with UT2004 dodge-jump. I don't think they should change it to UT2004 movement, there's already a very good game with that flavour of UT-movement. UT-dodging works great for combat but it's not fun to spam for moving long distances, Quake-style strafe jumping is the most enjoyable movement system I've tried in FPS games for moving long distances.

I played an MMORPG called Black Desert Online a while back and that game has interesting action combat with double-tap dodging and slides similar to UT. BDO also has different movement options and attacks you trigger by tapping certain keycombos, similar to how it works in fighting games like Street Fighter. Playing that game got me thinking about the possibility of implementing special moves that require certain keycombos to execute in UT, I mean UT is already a game for keymashers so it fits in I think. You could have a limited resource required for some special moves, like in BDO and Street Fighter where you have limited energy/combo meter, that prevents players from overusing them. As an example you could have keycombos for a fast sprint, a fast slide with movement control after a dodge or a extra high jump after a slide. The goal is to make movement outside of combat less repetitive, more enjoyable and interesting to master. There's also a lot of options for special moves to make in close combat but I feel like UT's movement already works well in combat.

If anyone wants to try the movement in BDO it's free to play for 7 days I believe, I recommend the Berserker class since it has the most interesting movement combos in my opinion :]
        Last edited by Qvist; 04-16-2017, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X