No announcement yet.

Air Control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im going to go ahead and bump this thread. Epic needs to test out air control. I honestly believe this would make dodge jump fans happier because air control enables a lot of freedom in the air and getting to different areas, especially around lift jumps. I feel like I am calculating my dodges and jumps too much resulting in worrying about landing in an exact spot on the map more than killing or dying.

The air control can be tested in a new build to provide some feedback from the community. I loved playing UT3 because of its movement and air control. The air control doesn't exactly have to be like UT3, BUT we can test it at different levels(maybe half way) to see how game play goes. I'm sure positive feedback would occur in this test. We don't have to be doing moon walks in the air like UT3 but I'd at least like to control where I am going, especially to the belt platform in deck. The air control resulting from the jump boots seems perfect right now but why not make air control universal so the jump boots aren't so overpowered?
    Steam
    irc.globalgamers.net #galaxy #unrealtournament #ut4pugs
    UT Username - nvz
    gg! Galaxy Gaming Community

SPECS
    || Core i5-4670k @ 4.2 gHz || ASUS GTX 1070 4GB VRAM ||ASUS VG248QE ‑ 24in 144Hz || Random 54 inch TV || Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma || Keyboard - Microsoft Sindwinder X4 || Case - Cyberpower Titan X || 16 gb DDR3 RAM || Logitech g930 Wireless Surround sound Headset || Steelseries QCK heavy + Mouse pad ||

#PREALPHA

Comment

Agreed with everyone here. If air control was increased it would make the game feel much more playable and fun. Also allows players to show more skilled movement.

Comment

Bump.

I could probably get use to no double jump, but this weak air control makes me very sad. I forward dodge a lot in UT3 and use air control to land where I need to be.

Originally posted by K-2 View Post

Comment

i strongly disagree.
          aircontrol is a very bad thing, for several reasons:
          • slows down the gameplay
          • makes movement unpredictable
          • bad movement decisions should be punished
          • renders projectile weapons basically useless and limits them to spam and pullbacks
          • in trun makes hitscan weapons much more important, which skews the weaponbalance from the get-go

the movement should be as clear and as precise as possible. the less knick-knack the better.

Comment

Originally posted by euler_2 View Post
            i strongly disagree.
            • renders projectile weapons basically useless and limits them to spam and pullbacks
            • in trun makes hitscan weapons much more important, which skews the weaponbalance from the get-go

the movement should be as clear and as precise as possible. the less knick-knack the better.
            By the looks of it, you haven't played much/any UT3. Air control adds so many new dynamics to trick jumping and combat and definitely does not slow down gameplay.

Comment

35 posts and none of you mentions a single numerical percentage value?
              Originally posted by Mysterial
              An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

i strongly disagree.

What? Are you sure you're not confusing air control with double jump?

Comment

+1 for more air control
                  It's probably the thing that disturbs me most in the pre-alpha.
                  I totally agree with Veggie_D, Specter_ and RPGWizard on this.
                  http://250kb.de/u/150227/p/qqYY9pJVAxBj.png
                  My views on the new UT in a nutshell │ Social MarketplaceModern UT4 AllNew Dynamic StandardsMore iconic U and the 4 neededUE4 Free - I Epic

Comment

i strongly disagree.

Your first point: Could you care to elaborate on how exactly air control "slows down" gameplay? I do not see how this argument makes any sense to be honest. Unless you mean things not hitting often?

Your second point: Yes I do agree that TOO MUCH air control makes movement unpredictable. And I would even argue that UT3 sometimes had too much air control, but however, this does not mean that having ENOUGH air control is a bad thing, in fact, it makes things better, people in this thread have explained it significantly better than I possibly could.

Third: This is easily counter-arguable with the fact that well, looking at the current UT build of the 19th of December, that your movements have to be very precise or you will fall off ledges, miss jumps and even miss basic wall dodges. For example, getting to the belt on deck is ridiculously infuriating if you're trying to dodge onto it, because your character is like a brick and you don't have control of where you're going. Also you can't go dodging around corners and make correct fluid actions with your movements when you have poor air control as newUT does currently.

4th point: This is not simply, not true. If you look at UT3, you have a wide range of weapons to use and projectiles typically do the most damage in that game. For example the stinger secondary is a rapid fire shard from unreal 1 (I might be wrong on this). It is ridiculously difficult to avoid these shards (this coming from someone who primarily did Duel in UT in general), even with air control. and it would be even more difficult to get away from them in UT4 if they had not slowed down the firing rate on the stinger secondary, in addition to lack of air control.

Fifth point: I'm going to disagree on this because lets say you're playing a map like camgrounds for example, if someone is standing above the shock rifle area where the health is, and you are at the belt area, if they're hopping around in place using hitscan and you're trying really hard to actually hit them with hitscan as well, it actually gets more difficult to hit them because of their inconsistency with movement, because of the air control. By the way this is a fine example of the kind of thing you'll see from hitscan heroes in UT3. They literally float.

Comment

Bumping this thread again. I will not give up on air control because the least epic can do is test it out in a build. The lack of air control makes it a royal pain dodging to certain places using precise movement. Also, the jump boots are what air control should be. It should be UNIVERSAL.
                      Steam
                      irc.globalgamers.net #galaxy #unrealtournament #ut4pugs
                      UT Username - nvz
                      gg! Galaxy Gaming Community

SPECS
                      || Core i5-4670k @ 4.2 gHz || ASUS GTX 1070 4GB VRAM ||ASUS VG248QE ‑ 24in 144Hz || Random 54 inch TV || Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma || Keyboard - Microsoft Sindwinder X4 || Case - Cyberpower Titan X || 16 gb DDR3 RAM || Logitech g930 Wireless Surround sound Headset || Steelseries QCK heavy + Mouse pad ||

#PREALPHA

Comment

Originally posted by nvz View Post
                        Bumping this thread again. I will not give up on air control because the least epic can do is test it out in a build. The lack of air control makes it a royal pain dodging to certain places using precise movement. Also, the jump boots are what air control should be. It should be UNIVERSAL.
                        ^ ^

Comment

Just wanted to add my 2cents. I've been saying since the very beginning of UT4 that the air control is flat out wrong. The inability to make corrective maneuvers mid-air really puts you on a predictable trajectory, and is akin to UT2004 styled gameplay.

Considering there are a lot of UT2004 players around, they typically do not advocate increased air control because they have no concept of it. But for those of us that played UT3 extensively and in competitive duels (galaxypugs duel tournaments, etc), the air control adds so much extra and really increases gameplay variety. It can really save your *** when you need it, or it can help you kill your opponent when you need to.

The lack of air control in UT4 makes it extremely difficult to play maps like Deck, where landing on tiny crossbeams can either be life or death. Upping the air control to something reasonable would improve things so much, and wouldn't break UT4.

Additionally, increased air control can make smaller parts of maps play better, and will increase the number of maps players are willing to play.

So please, this gets my vote. K-2 did a superb job highlighting the benefits of air control, and the cons of not having it.

Thanks,
                          -Neil (CaptainMigraine)
                          Last edited by CaptainMigraine; 12-22-2014, 02:53 AM.
                          Contact me: (Steam: Neillithan) (E-mail: neilvmoore@gmail.com)

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainMigraine View Post
                            Considering there are a lot of UT2004 players around, they typically do not advocate increased air control because they have no concept of it.
                            This summarizes everything. Until you've played with AND without air control extensively, you can't have a solid opinion.

Comment

I think it's more of a "school of thought" difference. Same as weapon switching. It's whether or not you prefer twitch game play, where you don't have to commit to your decisions, and can make split second adjustments, or whether you think a part of the skill should be how you plan well every move, and pay for it when it's the wrong one.

Too much air control will deter "midairs."
                              Originally posted by Mysterial
                              An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Originally posted by -AEnubis- View Post
                                I think it's more of a "school of thought" difference. Same as weapon switching. It's whether or not you prefer twitch game play, where you don't have to commit to your decisions, and can make split second adjustments, or whether you think a part of the skill should be how you plan well every move, and pay for it when it's the wrong one.

Too much air control will deter "midairs."
                                Have you played UT3?

Comment

Working...
                                X