Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another take on movement (Long live the air control!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    It wont let me play on fortnite on my laptop

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i really like all this stuff about movement cos thats what important in such type of games
    but you shouldnt make air control too overpowered

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I want to support this game`s physics

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It would be funny if in the end, the game would have more players on the UT2004 movement mutator servers than on the default ones.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by OMARHERRERA89 View Post
    U clearly never had play any ut game series at competitive level... this kind of movement is what killed UT. Imagine how bad the game will be ruined by this kind of super-action movement, where everybody will abuse of this ultra-jumps and this game will turn into a jumping monkey unskilled fest.
    That's pretty close-minded. Following this logic UT2k4 and UT3 are not competitive games because of advaned movement As far as I can see they're still doing pretty good and have a great community as well as UT99. The main reason why people play different UT games in the series is not the game mechanics itself, it's personal preference of certain aspects of the game.

This kind of movement didn't kill UT, it made the gameplay more fluid and introduced some new rules. If you see it as "jumping monkey unskilled fest" - you're probably doing it wrong, there's a lot of skill involved in doing it wisely and random mindless jumping usually put yourself into significant disadvantage.

Originally posted by OMARHERRERA89 View Post
    I mean, this is a competive game i dont this this kind of posts have place in this videogame...
    Yeah, UT is competetive game and I've got no idea why "this kind of post" can't have place. I'm not proposing any weird stuff, just carrying the overall well-proven direction defined by Epic Games in the last UT release. Almost all tricks is already pretty doable in current UT4 alpha, so why you're not arguing about something like walldodging, mantling, sliding etc? I'm just trying to make the tricks less random and the combat movement more responsive.

No offence, but it seems that you've never accept anything ouside of UT99 and just claim that UT could be competetive only with UT99 rules. Some people just can't stand the fact that advanced movement actually makes it harder to hit people and positioning gives less advantage because of many trickjumps. It really doesn't make the game less competetive though, there's just a different set of rules and there's nothing wrong if people find it more appealing.
    Last edited by K-2; 04-01-2015, 06:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by K-2 View Post
    Hello there. There're already some stuff going on with the movement mechanics, but I still can't find something that feels right for me.
    Well... I've decided to mess with the config a bit and I've came up with this.

In this config I'm trying to take further the UT3 formula while taking care of such flaws like "grounded feeling", "heaviness" and kinda single jump "underuse".

Tweaks:
    - increased air control & falling acceleration
    - double jumping
    - primary & secondary walldodges are now equal (with adjustments for double jump)
    - snappier dodges & dodge landing, reduced min delay between dodges
    - no sprinting
    - no landing assist boost
    - slight rolling tweaks (no longer slower than walking)
    - little increase in crouching speed

Distance comparison:

Tweaks

All credits goes to Sir Brizz for movement prototyper mutator.

Installation:
    Unzip mutator to \UnrealTournament\Plugins.
    Unzip ini file to \Documents\UnrealTournament\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor
    [ATTACH]14052[/ATTACH] (03/31/2015)

The goal was to make the movent more fluid, responsive & consistent without going crazy, fun but fair enough.
    In my opinion double jumping is no less important than dodging, it's pretty much essential for more engaging face-to-face combat and a wide variety of playstyles. It gives you far more options both in combat and in overall movement without being nesessary to use for everyone or every time (if taken in consideration for the level design).

Some video footage:

Please consider that it's hard to judge only by video

I hope it worth a try. Also I will be grateful for any feedback about what feels good/bad right now.
    U clearly never had play any ut game series at competitive level... this kind of movement is what killed UT. Imagine how bad the game will be ruined by this kind of super-action movement, where everybody will abuse of this ultra-jumps and this game will turn into a jumping monkey unskilled fest. I mean, this is a competive game i dont this this kind of posts have place in this videogame...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Though the next build is coming pretty soon, a little update for the current version of the mutator with some extremely minor tweaks.

Some more testing on a small & intense map.
    Last edited by K-2; 03-31-2015, 11:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Good prototype. It's closer to UT3 movement.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ****, that's so nice. I hope your prototype will be in the game as core movement mechanics... I am so tired of that feeling of limited possibilities and reduced dynamics of game process... ut3 was so much more intense...
    Thanks a ton K-2 and best of luck with your prototype!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    When at last you take notice of this prototype? Obviously this prototype brings new possibilities, more variety, there is more room for improvisation

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by halfblocked View Post
    But in truth whats the harm in just having these types of movement in the game as a select-able thing that servers can enable or not.
    Those that want it get it and those that don't don't. Let the community play the game the way they wan't to.
    The problem is that having such things as primary movement mechanics as selectable options harms the integrity of the core game and splits the already gametype-splitted community even more.
    As for the newcomers who would play UT the very first time - there's no difference for them at all cause people are just excited by running & shooting things at fast pace. The real difference is in the depth and skill celling as people progressing through the game. In this case double jumping and decent air control adds a lot to evasive component of the combat as well as gives more options to reach certain areas of the map. Especially DJ makes it harder to hit with "lazy aiming" for hitscan as there's more potential spots to put your crosshair in the first place (so we don't need to nerf the shock beam & sniper rifle).
    Such things as quad-jump & low grav are pretty much OK as selectables but the core movement is somewhat different.
    Last edited by K-2; 03-11-2015, 07:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by K-2 View Post
    Updated with some more tweaks & balancing.
    Tried to make regular dodges a bit more "powerful" according to feedback, but no drastic changes. I still think it sould take as little time as possible to dodge & change direction.
    Slight increase in single jump height & crouching speed.
    Rolling speed is now equal to running(used to be lower) with slight decrease at the end of the roll.
    [ATTACH]12894[/ATTACH]

Here trying it out on Lea & Otpost23. I'm also noticing that you're not obligated to double jump to move around the map and there's a lot of places where "minor" jump is prefereble & faster than vanilla one.

This is the best of all the prototype . More features, more dynamic , more skills

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This looks excellent and really overcomes the trapped feeling of the movement in the game at the moment. Will try it later on and post feedback

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm not gonna lie, that looks sexy.
    Also i see both sides, those who love double dump like myself and those that don't.
    But in truth whats the harm in just having these types of movement in the game as a select-able thing that servers can enable or not.
    Those that want it get it and those that don't don't. Let the community play the game the way they wan't to.
    Last edited by halfblocked; 03-11-2015, 06:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Updated with some more tweaks & balancing.
    Tried to make regular dodges a bit more "powerful" according to feedback, but no drastic changes. I still think it sould take as little time as possible to dodge & change direction.
    Slight increase in single jump height & crouching speed.
    Rolling speed is now equal to running(used to be lower) with slight decrease at the end of the roll.
    MovementPrototyper.zip

Here trying it out on Lea & Otpost23. I'm also noticing that you're not obligated to double jump to move around the map and there's a lot of places where "minor" jump is prefereble & faster than vanilla one.
    Last edited by K-2; 03-11-2015, 05:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X