Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of advanced moves do you want to see?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dodge jump should be added immediatly, I don't want those boring UT3 style "big steps" instead of dodging.

Comment

a DEFINITE yes to rocket, impact hammer and shield related movement.

It raises the skill ceiling and while traditional UT movement is quite slow and horizontal, different types of weapons jumps speed up the game, create awesome tricks and trickshots and makes everything more complex and exciting

Comment

Originally posted by -AEnubis- View Post
        Design is about understanding what causes a problem so you know how to fix it. Engineering is about executing those solutions.

So when all the player models look miniature in 2kx, and you have to make the weapons more accurate, and projectiles move faster to help hit anything, you would have to understand that the cause of that problem is that the double jump enabled players to cover so much space both vertically and horizontally that the maps had to be adjusted to give player room to use them. That in enabling players to maintain the dodge acceleration for twice the duration by allowing another jump to extend the friction free travel, they had to slow down the base walking speed of the players lest they cover way to much ground far too quickly.

An entire cascade of changes happened because of that double jump. Despite many people thinking the double jump was okay, or even a big improvement, they didn't like the resulting effects of accommodating the double jump, despite not being aware that they were made in light of the double jump.

They even said when making UT3 that one of the major gripes about 2kx was the scaling. Why are the players so much smaller in 2kx than in UT? Answer: the dodge jump. That's why the players are a bit bigger in UT3, and the dodge jump is gone.

The double jump has to go.

I'm all for improving on UT's movement. When you take a step in the wrong direction, you take a step back. Tribes2base tried deviating form the physics that made Tribes so great. It failed. Guess what they did? Tribes2classic. Game thrived for years.

Double jumps break the game.

Wall kicks are awesome. A crouch slide forward, side roll, and back slide would be totally welcome. A forward long (crouch) jump could be very cool as well.

I'm not looking for a clone, just a good base. If you start with UT movement, and scaling, then add stuff that is tested not to break that scaling, it will be win win win.

Or you could make a next gen title with awesome graphics that you're basically viewing through binoculars.
        I'm confused, are you just using double jump and dodge jump interchangeably? Dodge jump needs to stay out but double jumping should stay. Wall jumping wouldn't feel right without it, especially when UT3 maps are converted and some old jumps are no longer accessible.

Comment

Originally posted by SatansFather View Post
          I'm confused, are you just using double jump and dodge jump interchangeably? Dodge jump needs to stay out but double jumping should stay. Wall jumping wouldn't feel right without it, especially when UT3 maps are converted and some old jumps are no longer accessible.
          As long as they make the single jump higher, and keep the wall-dodge jump, I agree completely.

Comment

Yes, when I say "double jump" I'm using it as a blanket term for any time a UT players jumps off of the air, regardless of how they got in the air to begin with.
            Originally posted by Mysterial
            An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Don't forget, movement can and probably will change with testing pre-Alpha.

Multiple prototypes should exist and be tested thoroughly to find out what actually is fun.

Comment

The closer the game is to 2003 the better, double jump and wall booster jump when used properly gave you movement through the map that increased dodging capabilities and gave situational advantage over people who didn't learn them. In order to have a chance to avoid spray and forget skillless rocket/flak play you need defensive capabilities, we lack the shield gun so avoidance is the only route left.

Maybe I am biased to 2003 as I played that game until my eyes bled but if its not available as the default then it must be a mod option (2003 replica). Pretty sure there are other well know game options if you don't want the original things that made the game such a success. Anything post 2003 imo slows and de-skills the game.

Comment

Working...
                X