[UPDATE] Jumping Mechanics - Double Jump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[UPDATE] Jumping Mechanics - Double Jump

After having went back and spent time with UT 2k4 and UT3, the problem with the double jumping is this - you can't initiate the second jump whenever you want.

I feel like the double jump would be the best way to go if you could initiate the second jump whenever you wish: down arc, almost at the ground, immediately, etc. This would keep the double jump while adding to its utility. As it stands now, it would make more sense to just have one higher jump, but with the tweak to allow you to initiate the second jump anytime, it would be the better way.

An example would be, I jump off of a ledge towards another ledge, i wont make the jump, but if I time the double jump at the right moment, i can boost up to it and keep going. This would also allow for the strategy of throwing off your opponent such as the existing dodge mechanic, but less awkward.

Very good observation. On the other hand, where this could be problematic is... Say you jump off of the top of the Face tower and use your 2nd jump right before you hit the ground to prevent fall-death. There would have to be some kind of measure preventing you from using your second jump lower than your starting position.
    I went by B0T0X in UT2k4, BoboTheBrave in UT3. If you remember me, send me a PM!

Remember? I was the one running backward with the flag!

Comment

Originally posted by BoboTheBrave View Post
      Very good observation. On the other hand, where this could be problematic is... Say you jump off of the top of the Face tower and use your 2nd jump right before you hit the ground to prevent fall-death. There would have to be some kind of measure preventing you from using your second jump lower than your starting position.
      All it needs to do is keep your momentum pass a fall speed threshold. If you're falling at 500u/s and jump with 50u/s it'll result in a final speed of 450u/s.
      DM-1on1-Deck8 | DM-1on1-BirdCage | DM-Complexo (GoldenEye Redesign) | DM-ShootThemMalcomsGood | DM-1on1-Toxicity

Designer at Candango Games. Check my Gamasutra Blog.

Comment

I can say that this is very useful in other games that have a double jump mechanic (TF2 comes to mind), and I would definitely appreciate the addition.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypothet View Post
          I can say that this is very useful in other games that have a double jump mechanic (TF2 comes to mind), and I would definitely appreciate the addition.
          ... and double jump at any time would just mimic that mechanic of other games. If you modify the core that much, people won't like it that much. Changing this kind of feature should be up to the community by creating mods/mutators.
          ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
          ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

I think this should be constrained to a max negative Z speed, so falling to hard will prevent you from saving you ***. with the dubble jump. while in low gravity levels you might be able to fall a lot lower and still pull off a dubble jump.
            I do think dubble jump should be added to the game. because it gives more options to counter a rocked that is going towards your landing spot.
            - ZixXer - Environment artist - Trigger happy - UT fan -

Comment

Originally posted by luauDesign View Post
              All it needs to do is keep your momentum pass a fall speed threshold. If you're falling at 500u/s and jump with 50u/s it'll result in a final speed of 450u/s.
              I agree. You should still be able to fall to your death from high locations. Preserving momentum would be the simple way to handle it.

Comment

The double jump will not be a default thing
                It is supposed to be a competitive game
                http://i.imgur.com/6dJ1rdc.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
                  ... and double jump at any time would just mimic that mechanic of other games. If you modify the core that much, people won't like it that much. Changing this kind of feature should be up to the community by creating mods/mutators.
                  If you can tell me one reason why keeping UT's double jump as it exists now is a good idea, I'll listen. Gameplay-wise, I mean. Whether or not double jumping at a nonspecific time is mimicking other games doesn't concern me one bit.
                  Last edited by Hypothet; 05-09-2014, 08:33 PM.

Comment

one issue i've found with double and dodge jumping is that they are used as primary movement types

with single jumping and dodging being secondary movement types and used a lot less

this is particuarly true of single jump, many areas such as boxes and ledges require double jumps, the movement changes from a skilled add on to simply being a mechanism to move further or an extra bit of tedium to do something which should not require it

why not

increase single jump height, decrease the double jump distance but increase the speed, or add a dodge like animation

and instead use double and dodge jumping a way to make a short but skillfully executed mid air dodge

make it so it requires perfect timing and a high level of skill(and i mean high, there are some brutal UT players out there) and change the mechanic so it won't send you much further than a normal jump or dodge

since being in the air longer makes you vulnerable to trace hit fire and more skill is needed, it adds risk-reward

Comment

Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
                      Having something in common with another game is not a valid argument at all. UT is an arena shooter, it will have many things in common with other games. This is a discussion about improvement. After all, why make a new entry in the series if things aren't going to be improved upon?

Comment

I like the idea of double jumps, dodge jumps and wall-dodge/wall-dodge-jumps if they allow you to reach some locations you can't do normally. I'm not a fan of them making you essentially faster overall than just normal running movement, because you end up having to spend all the time up in the air to go everywhere, and that's more taxing over time.
                        --- ULTRON ---

Comment

yeah the double jump in 2k4 is somewhat strange.. i played 2k4 again and.. its an awkward timing that u have to hit double jump, would prefere if u could use it immediately and allways.

Comment

The way i see it , double jump perfectly suits instagib scene . Maps are smaller , you dont have translocator to cover distances and you need advanced tools to avoid instant death . I play CTF mode exclusively and i see some tactical depth in flag carriers limited to dodge only. You have to have back up , smart evading route and base power up control . UT is fast paced shooter and movement is extremely important but double jumps just dont fit my vision of the game and normal weapons mods .

Comment

Originally posted by bpc View Post
                              yeah the double jump in 2k4 is somewhat strange.. i played 2k4 again and.. its an awkward timing that u have to hit double jump, would prefere if u could use it immediately and allways.
                              It's a matter of practise. Having the double jump enables dodge jumping (in UT2004) and also allows you to reach higher places. Whereas in UT99 your options were limited to where and what you could do. UT2004, I think, pulled it off perfectly. I cannot fault the movement system or the double jump. It allowed for more varied gameplay. Lest we forget you don't 'have' to use double jump in combat situations. Single jumps are not uncommonly seen to confuse other players.

Comment

Working...
                              X